Some observations about $aban and Auburn fans

CircleDrill

It has been interesting watching how the Auburn nation has reacted the past couple of days to all the $aban stuff. Let me offer my take on this whole thing.

First of all, anyone who thinks $aban is not a great coach is fooling themselves. He is a great coach at the college level, at least, and should be highly respected by others in the SEC. If nothing else, the $aban hire boosts the SEC West SOS and makes the SEC stronger as a whole.

Second, a lot of people are calling him a "liar" and saying he lied about this and about that...I call it business. That is the way it's done in the professional world. You don't say goodbye to a good job until you have a contract to sign for another job. You don't leave a fantastic job for unemployment in most cases if you can help it. I don't fault him for how he handled it.

Third, let us not forget because of the outcome over the past couple of days, what the past couple of MONTHS have been like. None of that has changed. The "$aban was the guy all along" line is garbage. This whole thing has been bungled from day one, a clear indicator of the status of the Alabama athletic department.

Fourth, no coach, I don't care how good he is, can miraculously make Alabama a good team again overnight. It is going to take a while. I would expect this first year to be particularly frustrating. Bammers will expect to be in the BCSMNC game next year, and the reality is that they still will have to get awful lucky to beat LSU and Auburn and Tennessee.

Fifth, it is nice to be the yardstick by which Alabama's success is measured, isn't it? They won't admit that this is true because their inferiority complex won't let them, but they are comparing themselves to us in every way. I just heard Shane call into Finebaum talking about how $aban was the best coach in the SEC and better than Tuberville.

We shall see.

And lest we forget :ua: = :om: . $aban or not, this fact will remain true for many, many years.

Second, a lot of people are calling him a "liar" and saying he lied about this and about that...I call it business. That is the way it's done in the professional world. You don't say goodbye to a good job until you have a contract to sign for another job. You don't leave a fantastic job for unemployment in most cases if you can help it. I don't fault him for how he handled it.

Surely you jest. Do you work for Scrushy?

Surely you jest. Do you work for Scrushy?

Nope. I am actually a teacher...a job which is based on contracts year-to-year.

I think $aban will be more consistant than Shula....but not 10 wins plus a year consistant.

It has been interesting watching how the Auburn nation has reacted the past couple of days to all the $aban stuff. Let me offer my take on this whole thing.

First of all, anyone who thinks $aban is not a great coach is fooling themselves. He is a great coach at the college level, at least, and should be highly respected by others in the SEC. If nothing else, the $aban hire boosts the SEC West SOS and makes the SEC stronger as a whole.

Third, let us not forget because of the outcome over the past couple of days, what the past couple of MONTHS have been like. None of that has changed. The "$aban was the guy all along" line is garbage. This whole thing has been bungled from day one, a clear indicator of the status of the Alabama athletic department.

Fourth, no coach, I don't care how good he is, can miraculously make Alabama a good team again overnight. It is going to take a while. I would expect this first year to be particularly frustrating. Bammers will expect to be in the BCSMNC game next year, and the reality is that they still will have to get awful lucky to beat LSU and Auburn and Tennessee.

Fifth, it is nice to be the yardstick by which Alabama's success is measured, isn't it? They won't admit that this is true because their inferiority complex won't let them, but they are comparing themselves to us in every way. I just heard Shane call into Finebaum talking about how $aban was the best coach in the SEC and better than Tuberville.

We shall see.

And lest we forget :ua: = :om: . $aban or not, this fact will remain true for many, many years.

I agree with what you have posted you dont leave a job until you have another job lined up but you do give a 2 weeks notice

I still haven't made the jump from "UAT only wishes they had $aban" to "$aban is UAT's head coach". It's too bizarre for me.

hell, its just as bizarre for must of us :ua: fans for that matter! but we're glad to have him.

I'd like to see you back this up statistically, please. Other than the hype over his one-half NC, what is so "great" about his resume?

I'd like to see you back this up statistically, please. Other than the hype over his one-half NC, what is so "great" about his resume?

he is pretty much on par with CTT. CNS came to lsu in 2000 and left after the 2004 season. for that period of time his record was 48-16 with 2 SEC championships and one shared NC. for the same period of time CTT was 46-18 with 1 SEC championship and one NC screwjob. i think CTT is a great coach, so i don't see how CNS isn't a great coach either.

Agreed. I only take issue with the ones who swing too far the other way (mostly dopey bammers) and think they'll be reeling off MNCs and dominating the SEC again with him in place.

Frankly, he is a liar and that's not how everyone does it or has to do it. The solution to his problem was simple: don't comment. Let them ask and reply the same way everytime..."I don't discuss my contract or other jobs in the press. Those things are personal and between me and my employer. Next question."

Plus, most people aren't hammering him for "coachspeak." A lot of coaches say things like, "I'm happy here and don't plan to leave." It's another thing to explicitly say "I'm not going to do X" and then go and do exactly that two weeks later. Plus, it was the vehemence and indignation with which he did it that's earned him the scorn he's gotten. He acted like the reporters were impugning his character and were morons for even asking the question. Being smug and condescending tends to come back to bite you in the arse.

Agreed. I do believe he was on their list from day one. But I don't buy the masterful strategist story that's now being propagated by Mal Moore's supporters. This search was just as much a mess as the previous two or three, just with a better outcome.

I don't know if they expect it in 2007, but definitely 2008. If he loses to Tennessee, LSU and Auburn again this year, there will be complaints anyway though. They expect to break through on their main rivals immediately.

Yeah, in the end, the best thing about all of this is that if $aban hasn't produced the dominance they expect in 3-4 years, the excuses will be gone. No more "it's because of probation" or "we haven't had a truly good coach" or whatever. Probation is over. They have a nucleus of talent that's pretty good. They have the coach they wanted...a "proven" coach. If they don't take over, maybe...just maybe...reality will finally set in for them.

2 SEC titles in 5 years. How many does Teletubby have in ~7 years?

2 #1 ranked recruiting classes in 5 years.

He's a proven winner at every college team he's coached.

I only pointed out my "observations" and not statistics. The LSU program you see today is Nick $aban's child, not Les Miles's. Wouldn't you agree that LSU is a decent program, if not one of the best in the conference and the country?

Circle, Galen wont agree with you unless you are willing to say UA will lose every game every year.

Well, they will still lose plenty of games. Make no mistake. However, I will be willing to bet that they won't lose anymore "Mississippi States" under $aban.

Circle, Galen wont agree with you unless you are willing to say UA will lose every game every year.

Well, they will still lose plenty of games. Make no mistake. However, I will be willing to bet that they won't lose anymore "Mississippi States" under $aban.

LSU didn't think they would lose to UAB either. :P

2 SEC titles in 5 years. How many does Teletubby have in ~7 years?

2 #1 ranked recruiting classes in 5 years.

He's a proven winner at every college team he's coached.

:roflol:

Whatever, BG. Drink it down. Drink it down. It will be that more rancid when you have to sick it back up in a year or so.

He's an improvement on Shula. Then again, so am I. He had a decent year at LSU in 2003, but certainly no better than the best year that Tuberville, Richt, Fulmer, Meyer and, yes, Mike Shula had in the past five seasons. The only difference between $aban's 2003 and the seasons crafted by the other coaches was timing. You put Tuberville's 2004 season in 2003 and you've got a whole different problem on your Bama heads. He did okay at LSU, but I saw nothing that merited awarding him rockstar status. And I said that WHEN he was at LSU.

Les Miles has done more with the same talent than $aban did and under more difficult circumstances and Miles is pretty much a goober of a coach. He did no better at Michigan State than did his successor John L. Smith -- and Smith "resigned". He befouled the legacy of the Miami Dolphins and that program will be LIGHTYEARS better with him gone. If you're a Dolphin fan, today should be a day for dancing in the streets and celebrating.

FWIW? When he left Michigan State to go to LSU, the staff threw a party. There was rejoicing. They were that glad to see him leave. Is there another airport party coming for the Tide? Will sweet little Colleen show Nick another side of her personality and give HIM a cheek to kiss in a few short years? Only time will tell.

And no, he is not interested in the Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma or LSU jobs. Not interested at all. Don't insult him by asking about those. In fact, don't speak to him at all unless he speaks to you first. It's a rule.

Les Miles has done more with the same talent than $aban did and under more difficult circumstances and Miles is pretty much a goober of a coach. He did no better at Michigan State than did his successor John L. Smith -- and Smith "resigned". He befouled the legacy of the Miami Dolphins and that program will be LIGHTYEARS better with him gone. If you're a Dolphin fan, today should be a day for dancing in the streets and celebrating.

This is a freaking joke. John L Smith didnt have NEAR the tenure that $aban did. Mich State hasnt seen the type of program it had when $aban was there.

Galen, you telling me you dont think $aban is a good coach?...i want to go ahead and get it on record.

And if all his success was 'timing'...when is CTT's 'timing' gonna kick in? You mean to tell me he's had bad luck for 7 of 8 years? Thats believeable...sure.

This is a freaking joke. John L Smith didnt have NEAR the tenure that $aban did. Mich State hasnt seen the type of program it had when $aban was there.

Galen, you telling me you dont think $aban is a good coach?...i want to go ahead and get it on record.

And if all his success was 'timing'...when is CTT's 'timing' gonna kick in? You mean to tell me he's had bad luck for 7 of 8 years? Thats believeable...sure.

First - I do think $aban is a good coach.

But...Have you even looked at his record at MSU?

Is that what would make you guys happy at UAT?

If you need the numbers I have them right here.

I guess he left to look up the numbers...I'll help him out

1995 6-5-1 W against Mich

1996 6-6 L against Mich

1997 7-5 L against Mich

1998 6-6 L against Mich

1999 10-2 W against Mich

I ask again would bama fan be happy if these are his first 5 years?

BG, BG, BG....

Here's $aban's record at Michigan State:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

10-2

Hmmmm.. Looks a lot like Shula's at Bama. Another 6-6 and Mal would have fired him.

John L. Smith

8-5

5-7

5-6

5-5

Wow. $aban was an average of ONE HALF GAME better per season than Smith over their first four seasons. ONE HALF GAME!!! Amazing. Just think, BG, if $aban can do ONE HALF GAME better than Shula? Oh the possibilities. Just think what a seven win season would mean to that program.

You make me laugh, dude. I never said he wasn't a decent coach. But he's not Criss Angel. He's not Moses. He's not going to part the red sea, walk on water or even make your signed quarter appear inside a coke can. He's an upgrade, but he's not any better than any of the other coaches that make up the top half of the SEC. The idea that he'll strut into Tuscaloosa and dominate is what's laughable. And I like making fun of you guys when you crap your pants and can't even tell from the smell what you've done.

Circle, with regards to the topic and the reference to how "Auburn" people are reacting, I'd have to ask that you go and turn on the radio right now to ESPN, Sporting News or anyone besides the Finedung nation. It has been an absolute firestorm of constant $aban bashing. I just got back in and the host on ESPN was comparing how $aban handled this to Bill Cowher. He flat out said that Cowher handled it with INTEGRITY and CLASS and that $aban had none of those attributes.

The host, AS HAS VIRTUALLY EVERY HOST I'VE HEARD THE PAST TWO DAYS, called him cowardly and said it's the same way he handled the situation at LSU. Last night on ESPN, they brought in John Clayton to discuss Bill Cowher and who would replace him. The anchor laughingly asked, "What about Nick $aban?" and Clayton responded accordingly by saying, "Who knows what team $aban will say he's coaching today?"

This is not just sour grapes from the Miami media or Don Shula. This is the NATIONAL perception of Alabama's saviour. It will all die down in a while but suffice it to say, Mr. $aban has burned up all his bridges so he'd BETTER win big...and now!

For the record, BG's question was about how Smith and $aban did respectively at Michigan State:

$aban's record: 34-24-1 (.585)

Smith's record: 22-26-0 (.458)

Avg yearly records

$aban: 6.8 wins and 4.8 losses (7-5)

Smith: 5.5 wins and 6.5 losses (6-7)

The overall marks aren't exactly night and day difference. But $aban did leave MSU on a high note. After winning 6 games in each of 3 seasons and 7 in another, he left his last season after going 9-2 (Bobby Williams got the bowl win for MSU). Smith went on a downward decline from day one winning 8 his first year and only 4 his last.

Guys, MSU had gone 14-31 in the 4 years prior to the Nicktator's arrival. With him? They were 34-24. Is that overly impressive? Not really, but you've also got to remember that he was going up against in-state national powerhouse Michigan, that fact that MSU had not even been competitive in the Big 10 in the present era, and that he took over a team program in farrrrrr worse shape that what we're in. What he did in 1999 at MSU in defeating Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan in the same year had never been done before in school history and has yet to be repeated. At East Lansing, he didn't have a nationally respected name, a 92k seat stadium, one of the largest weightrooms in the nation, lavish recruiting lounges, etc. In Tuscaloosa, he has all of that and then some to be be successful.

LSU and Gerry DiNardo had put together a sparkling records of 4-7 and 3-8 in the two years leading up to his arrival in Redstick despite being the ONLY major school in one of the nation's most fruitful states for recruits. DiNardo left him a flat out mess... yet he was able to take them to an 8-4 record and Peach Bowl win in his first season. DiNardo won 57% of his games at LSU, Nick won 75% of his to go along with two SEC titles and a national title. That's no coincidence.

Guys, MSU had gone 14-31 in the 4 years prior to the Nicktator's arrival. With him? They were 34-24. Is that overly impressive? Not really, but you've also got to remember that he was going up against in-state national powerhouse Michigan, that fact that MSU had not even been competitive in the Big 10 in the present era, and that he took over a team program in farrrrrr worse shape that what we're in. What he did in 1999 at MSU in defeating Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan in the same year had never been done before in school history and has yet to be repeated. At East Lansing, he didn't have a nationally respected name, a 92k seat stadium, one of the largest weightrooms in the nation, lavish recruiting lounges, etc. In Tuscaloosa, he has all of that and then some to be be successful.

LSU and Gerry DiNardo had put together a sparkling records of 4-7 and 3-8 in the two years leading up to his arrival in Redstick despite being the ONLY major school in one of the nation's most fruitful states for recruits. DiNardo left him a flat out mess... yet he was able to take them to an 8-4 record and Peach Bowl win in his first season. DiNardo won 57% of his games at LSU, Nick won 75% of his to go along with two SEC titles and a national title. That's no coincidence.

Puff sunshine up your skirt any way that you need to. That is not going to change the fact that you are going to lose 4-5 games next year, and one of them is going to be Auburn.

Want a little perspective?

When Franchione left Alabama, there was a party at the airport in College Station. Mike Raita from ABC3340 was out there taking up for the Bama nation, harassing Fran about being a coward and a liar for the way he left Bama. And in College Station, Fran was the most popular man walking the earth. Fans lined the streets to see him pass. His wife was quoted in the newspapers. His press conference was a smash. He said all the right things. He was THE MAN with a glistening resume. Fran was the SAVIOR who was going to resurrect A&M and bring the Aggies back to par with Texas, Oklahoma and the other rising teams of the Big 12.

And to borrow from Tony Montana in Scarface.... "You stupid %*@!&s. Look at you now."

FFWD to today: $aban leaves Miami. There's a party at the airport. Miami Herald reporters are there to dog him for being a coward and a liar. $aban was the most popular man in Tuscaloosa. Fans lined the streets to see him. Drunk men had him sign their chests. Drunk women kissed him. His wife was quoted in the newspapers. His press conference was a hit. He said all the right things. He was THE MAN with the glistening (not so much) college resume. $aban was THE SAVIOR who was going to resurrect the legend of Bryant and return the Tide to the prominence it enjoyed lo those many years ago. He immediately brought Bama back to par with Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, LSU and the other true dynasties of the SEC.

Cue Tony Montana....

$aban will probably do a little better at Bama than Fran has done at A&M, but the parallels are obvious.

Guys, MSU had gone 14-31 in the 4 years prior to the Nicktator's arrival.

The "Nicktator"? :blink:

gaydar.gif

Archived