DKW 86

0329.jpg

Could the dam be about to burst?

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...346/1002/SPORTS

COMMENTARY: Saban's strict media policy could pose big problem

By Tom Ensey

Montgomery Advertiser

Parade, halt. Time for a little rain.

The Saban administration at Alabama seems to be moving along with spring, spark and alacrity. He's got a staff, he's recruiting, he looks like he's about to drop in his tracks after an NFL season and now this, but that's good. Tired and persevering is a good look for a coach. He's a hard worker.

I've already seen several versions of photo-shopped pictures of Saban walking on water. The fans are as stoked as the day they met the plane.

Good show. Roll Tide and all that.

Um, but. I can see trouble brewing. Something that could escalate into a real joy-buster.

Saban seems to have a downright peculiar attitude concerning the media. He's 55 years old, has been coaching all his adult life and really seems to think he can tell reporters when and what to report about his program.

In a news conference last week in Tuscaloosa, he was scolding everyone for reporting news about his prospective staff.

He hadn't had time to do his "due diligence" on prospective employees.

"Due diligence" is a phrase he's fond of using to explain why reporters shouldn't do their jobs. And yet, due diligence or no, there the news was, breaking out in the papers and on the Internet and the radio and all. It just wasn't time, it just wasn't right that information be made public -- despite the fact that it was accurate.

The media caused him so much trouble in Miami, he said, as he wrestled with the decision whether or not to come to Alabama. The cart was before the horse, and it wasn't time, it wasn't right to report the things they reported.

Oh, please.

Saban's problems with the media in Miami started well before last December. And Saban's problems in December stemmed not so much from the media as from standing up in a room full of them and lying.

Words of wisdom: Never cuss a cop; never bump an official; never lie to a reporter. All will make bad things worse.

Saban has declared team members and assistant coaches off-limits for interviews. Only he may speak on behalf of the program.

This has never happened in the state of Alabama. And the state of Alabama is a really bad place to attempt the implementation of such a policy.

Here is why: The press corps that covers Alabama football is more dogged than any other, anywhere. It is under more pressure than any other, anywhere.

Alabama's football program is the biggest story in the state, day in and day out. The fans who make paying a coach $4 million a year possible can't get enough information. They want to know everything, up to and including how the second-team right offensive tackle is coming with his footwork problems.

For better or worse -- the media, those grubby, unshorn schmucks driving late-model Hondas -- are the program's only link to its fans.

Furthermore, Alabama football beat writers get fired if they don't break news. Nick Saban is the highest-paid state employee, ever. Those ink-stained, camera-toting drudges making 1/1000th of his salary are the ones who will hold him accountable to the public.

You don't tell a wolfpack that it will feed at your convenience, at a time of your choosing, and that you will put equal portions in all their bowls, and they will be good dogs.

Yeah. This could be a problem

:popcorn: .

gasoline meet match

As Proud Tiger and I have said before: "Marriage Made in Hell..."

Saban's going to be miserable there...

Serves ole Slick right.

well the honeymoon is showing some dirty laundry. This should come as know surprise for anyone that

has been around him (see Miami, LSU). This gives Auburn a huge edge.

uat's and saban's arrogance will be their downfall...again.

Will he be miserable there? I'm not sure. I say this because I don't think he cares. He doesn't care any about the media just like he doesn't care what color jersy his team is wearing. It is about him and only him, or at least it seems that way. As long as he wins he'll be fine, but when he is no beter than the rest of the league the bammers will care. At some point uat will want a coach that cares about the dark pink jersey and $aban is not it.

Will he be miserable there? I'm not sure. I say this because I don't think he cares. He doesn't care any about the media just like he doesn't care what color jersy his team is wearing. It is about him and only him, or at least it seems that way. As long as he wins he'll be fine, but when he is no beter than the rest of the league the bammers will care. At some point uat will want a coach that cares about the dark pink jersey and $aban is not it.

True.

The way I see it, the media will finally get tired of his attitude. Then they'll start bashing him. Then the bammers who don't think for themselves, will mirror the opinions of the media. They start getting testy, and eventually they run Saban off.

Sounds like the beginning of the end for $aban. Not that I think it will happen tomorrow, but there should be a long, rocky ride.

Same thing he did in Miami....his coaches...guys like Dom Capers (21 years NFL Experience)and Hudson Houck (24 yrs) were not ALLOWED to speak to the media. Hes a control freak, yet nothing is his fault. It doesnt make any sense, but rest assured if he doesnt win at uat it will be his fault!

Alabama's football program is the biggest story in the state, day in and day out. The fans who make paying a coach $4 million a year possible can't get enough information. They want to know everything, up to and including how the second-team right offensive tackle is coming with his footwork problems.

Is the second team right tackle Chris Capps? It doesn't really matter, the whole UAT o-line is 'owned' by the 'Q' and the rest of AU's D-Line.

Besides a P.O.'d Press, what happens when the Good Ol' Boys---the "Logan Youngs", "John Croyles" & "Red Elephants"--try to get personal time/attention with the coach or give him advice, and he tells them in so many words to "F%# Off. I'm too busy/important to talk to you"?

Hope he's uses "due diligence" in planning his next golden parachute.

Thank God.

We've been needing this for years. Remember all of the BUNK that would come from our media room... "We're hittin' in the mouth on the first play to let 'em know we're going to be there all day" to calling shut-outs to saying that "they'll be seeing a certain finger after the game." I'm sorry, but I love this.

And JohnDeere, Capps WAS our starting RT. He started for Shula. Rest assured... that'll be changing.

And JohnDeere, Capps WAS our starting RT. He started for Shula. Rest assured... that'll be changing.

I know this is off topic, but I LOVE hearing this. Like Alabama has the depth on their offensive line to bench upperclassmen. Remember, you started a true freshman. Shula may not have been a great coach, but he wasn't THAT bad. If you think there is going to be some miraculous change in talent in one year, you should probably let Saban speak for you as well.

I think you're right, to some degree. I mean, he has 32 million reasons to not care. And if I understand it, those 32 million are guaranteed, no matter how many w's he puts on the board. Is this the case? I don't know about the particulars of his contract but if it is the case, I certainly wouldn't be trying to win any publicity contest. I would only want to win football games in order to keep my lucrative position rolling. But, if I don't win but 7, who cares? I've got some money for the grandkids now. A nice big Crimson parachute. I think the guy is smart. I don't respect him much but he definitely knows how to play the coaching game for all it's worth. He had an opportunity to jump a sinking ship and a shot at redemption--with a real soft place to land on that big pile of money. I'm just hoping for an 0-4 run against CTT. Wouldn't that be great.

Thank God.

We've been needing this for years. Remember all of the BUNK that would come from our media room... "We're hittin' in the mouth on the first play to let 'em know we're going to be there all day" to calling shut-outs to saying that "they'll be seeing a certain finger after the game." I'm sorry, but I love this.

Let me say this again..... as long as bammers believe Saban will win the MNC in 07 and 08, he can do whatever he wants to and they will bend over backwards and take it. It is when he starts losing that the house of cards will fall. And he will lose 4 games next year. Mark it down...2007 Crimson Tide 8-4, 4th in SEC West.

I think you're right, to some degree. I mean, he has 32 million reasons to not care. And if I understand it, those 32 million are guaranteed, no matter how many w's he puts on the board. Is this the case? I don't know about the particulars of his contract but if it is the case, I certainly wouldn't be trying to win any publicity contest. I would only want to win football games in order to keep my lucrative position rolling. But, if I don't win but 7, who cares? I've got some money for the grandkids now. A nice big Crimson parachute. I think the guy is smart. I don't respect him much but he definitely knows how to play the coaching game for all it's worth. He had an opportunity to jump a sinking ship and a shot at redemption--with a real soft place to land on that big pile of money. I'm just hoping for an 0-4 run against CTT. Wouldn't that be great.

As I understand it, there is no buyout clause in his contract--so no, the entire $32 million woudn't be guaranteed. I believe he just gets $4 million a year until he leaves or gets fired (or for the full 8 years of the contract, but does anyone really expect him to be there eight years from now?). If he's not winning more than 8 games by 2008, Bama fans won't keep him long enough to get close to the full $32 million. But at this point in his career, I don't think Saban's in it for the money, but for the ego trip.

I know this is off topic, but I LOVE hearing this. Like Alabama has the depth on their offensive line to bench upperclassmen. Remember, you started a true freshman. Shula may not have been a great coach, but he wasn't THAT bad. If you think there is going to be some miraculous change in talent in one year, you should probably let Saban speak for you as well.

Actually, we do. 'Bama signed the #2 overall o-line class in 2006. Did CMS and staff feel that every single one of them could step in and dominate? No, as they were freshman. There are very few Andre Smith's and Tray Blackmon's out there... With that said, we had occasions where a lineman would go out for a couple of plays due to injury. We'd switch Caldwell to tackle and put Cardwell at center... Voila! JPW had time and the offense moved the ball. And, this was against LSU, so it wasn't happening against a slouch...

Stadler, Ross, and Pharr are all going to be solid contributors for us this season. Money says Capps doesn't see much PT.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Besides a P.O.'d Press, what happens when the Good Ol' Boys---the "Logan Youngs", "John Croyles" & "Red Elephants"--try to get personal time/attention with the coach or give him advice,

I can't wait until Logan Young requests an auidience with Saban.

Besides a P.O.'d Press, what happens when the Good Ol' Boys---the "Logan Youngs", "John Croyles" & "Red Elephants"--try to get personal time/attention with the coach or give him advice,

I can't wait until Logan Young requests an auidience with Saban.

you're so wrong...

Guest Tigrinum Major

At least admit that you chortled. Or guffawed.

I foresee a Dickinson tale of Saban being visited by the ghosts of Alabama football past, present and future. These spirits would be represented by Logan Young, Kenneth Darby and a young man in a meshback cap that kisses Saban on the cheek and proclaims his loyalty to the Tide and his desire to walk-on.

The ghost of Mike Price will stand in for Marley.

Thank God.

Let me say this again..... as long as bammers believe Saban will win the MNC in 07 and 08, he can do whatever he wants to and they will bend over backwards and take it. It is when he starts losing that the house of cards will fall. And he will lose 4 games next year. Mark it down...2007 Crimson Tide 8-4, 4th in SEC West.

Right now, I'd be more than content with 8 wins. All I want to see is improvement and a reason to believe that '08 will be a solid year.

IMO there's not enough talent to win the SEC in '07. There's just not.

At least admit that you chortled. Or guffawed.

I foresee a Dickinson tale of Saban being visited by the ghosts of Alabama football past, present and future. These spirits would be represented by Logan Young, Kenneth Darby and a young man in a meshback cap that kisses Saban on the cheek and proclaims his loyalty to the Tide and his desire to walk-on.

The ghost of Mike Price will stand in for Marley.

Interesting scenario...I'd read it.

But of course, the whole point is that Saban would refuse to talk to any of them!

Archived