Blue-Chip Busts

MDM4AU

Signing day is tomorrow and millions of people will be crowing about the signing class their team got and how it will bring them multiple championships, how their school is back, how they won the Recruiting National Championship, etc. It will based on a bunch of high school players that have yet to play a single down in college and the opinion of some dufuss behind a keyboard with a recruiting mag or website. Now, I realize that getting as many "Blue-Chippers" as possible gives you better chance than not having any at all, but until they play, you really don't know how they will pan out.

That being said I thought it would be interesting to name some of the highly touted recruits we have seen worshiped as the next Bo Jackson, or Joe Namath, or Archie Griffin that wound up being busts.

I'll start with Lectron Williams. He has done well for himself since leaving Auburn (runs a fitness training business), but during his playing days he never lived up to the hype on the field. Much of his issues were a result of a knee injury his Senior year at Vigor (Mobile) in the State Championship game, but it just goes to show you that "Blue Chip" in HS doesn't translate into All-American in College. This may be a bad example of Blue Chip or Bust but there are plenty of others out there that simply didn't have what it takes to make it at the college level.

Anyone else?

Well to be fair, Lectron wasn't a bust. He blew out his knee. To me, a true bust is a kid that comes in with all the stars and accolades and simply fails to live up to the hype, injuries aside.

Ones that come to mind in my lifetime:

Alan Evans-RB

Willie Northern-WR

Demontray Carter-RB

Allen Tillman-QB

Stanford Simmons-DB

The biggest Bama bust I can think of would probably be Tyler Watts. The recruiting gurus were proclaiming he was a lead-pipe cinch to win a Heisman.

Don't know how many of you saw this, but there was a great story on Lectron and what he's up to now back last fall:

http://www.al.com/hsfootball/mobileregiste....xml&coll=3

I won't go into it (much), but I think you are wrong about Lectron. IF Lectron had not been injured, he would have been a good one. He did play some while at AU and did well before injuries forced him to hang it up. Injuries shouldn't be a factor in declaring someone a bust. But that's just me.

At AU I would have to put Tony Bell & Demontry Carter high on the list of busts. Both were highly rated HS players and failed to make the grade at the college level, or at least at AU. DC played well at Troy and I think TB played at Jacksonville St didn't he?

Recent busts...

Mike Ford- A perrenial name on Bama's commit list, Ford could never make it in. Although the NCAA cleared him this season, Alabama did not. He is currently enrolled at USF. He may be a great back IF he can pass and stay eligible. So far, he has been a bust.

Chris Keys- The highest rated player in Bama's 2005 recruiting class and ranked as the number 7 safety in the country. Personal issues saw him leave last season without having made any impact.

There are lots of high profile busts.

There are also usually some bigtime sleepers who end up being great ones despite being unheralded.

Demeco Ryans- In 2002, Scout didn't even rate him and gave him only one star. Rivals gave him three stars and gave him a national LB rating of #39. His only other offers were from UAB and Miss. State. Ended up excelling on and off the field. Completed a masters degree in four seasons, won numerous awards, and his rookie NFL season has been phenomenal.

Tyrone Prothro- Scout 2-star, rival 3-star. Ranked in the 100's and was considered by most to be too small for SEC play. If not for that injury, what could he have achieved?

What happened to the following players? I don't keep up so much with Auburn's recruiting.

Tez Doolittle- Was a 4-star RB in the 2003 class

Courtney Denson-4-star ATH signed in the 2004 class

Brandon Jacobs?- Didn't he end up at Illinois? Not really a bust, but gave up on Auburn.

Tony Bell?

Well to be fair, Lectron wasn't a bust. He blew out his knee. To me, a true bust is a kid that comes in with all the stars and accolades and simply fails to live up to the hype, injuries aside.

Pedro Cherry-WR

You might want to re think that Titan. Pedro blew out both knees before having to give it up. Even after two surgeries he still attempted to make a come back and was advised against it after another knee injury that didn't require surgery.

PS - He also is a proud AUBURN man living in Atlanta and working for a large company there. I talked to him just last week.

Yeah, I understand what y'all are saying. I chose a bad one. :(

You are forgiven, Grasshopper.

What happened to the following players? I don't keep up so much with Auburn's recruiting.

Tez Doolittle- Was a 4-star RB in the 2003 class

Courtney Denson-4-star ATH signed in the 2004 class

Brandon Jacobs?- Didn't he end up at Illinois? Not really a bust, but gave up on Auburn.

Tony Bell?

Tez Doolittle - Still at AU on the team and earning playing time this past season. He will be in the playing rotation this next season.

Brandon Jacobs? - Transferred to Northern Illinois and played well there. Finished and was drafted and played this past year in the NFL. I don't remember for which team or how much PT he got, but he did play.

Tony Bell - I think he transferred to Jacksonville State.

Tigermike beat me to it about Pedro. If we don't call injuries busts, he shouldn't count. He did far better at calculus than I did, too.

Pedro Cherry-WR

You might want to re think that Titan. Pedro blew out both knees before having to give it up. Even after two surgeries he still attempted to make a come back and was advised against it after another knee injury that didn't require surgery.

PS - He also is a proud AUBURN man living in Atlanta and working for a large company there. I talked to him just last week.

Yeah, I understand what y'all are saying. I chose a bad one. :(

You are forgiven, Grasshopper.

The best example of a pure "five star flop" that ever came to Auburn would be Ken Hobby. He was a QB in the late seventies from Tifton, GA. This guy came in with Rick Clausen hype. He is STILL a legend in Tifton for his exploits in high school.

In his defense, he came in at a time when he didn't have much of a supporting cast (from coaches or players). He was pretty much relied upon to be the savior of the team from day one. He immediately buckled under the strain. I'm not sure but I don't think he played more than one year. He left school and returned to Tifton.

There are also usually some bigtime sleepers who end up being great ones despite being unheralded.

Dontarrious Thomas - Was on his way to Georgia Southern because no D-I schools recruited him. HS coach called CTT and asked him to check him out. Was a big impact for Auburn at LB. Unanimous pick as 1st Team All Freshman SEC 2000, 2001 2nd Team All SEC, 2003 1st Team All SEC and SEC Scholar Ath. of the Year.

Ken Hobby QB - never panned out..

Tutt kid out of Georgia who was a RB and had a brother named Greg Tutt. Called the RB "King Tutt."

Was going to say Tyrone Martin - LB from Alex City but i think he suffered a neck injury during the USuCk game in LA and wasn't cleared to play after that.

I will have to go with Demontray Carter as well.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Martavous Houston.

He still holds a special place in my heart.

His problem wasn't anything on field. He just couldn't do those things needed to stay on the team, even during the Bowden era. He'd not make it a season these days.

What's the old saying, "million dollar body and a 10 cent brain. That year he was #1 player out of Florida and Takeo was #1 player in Georgia. If Tot could have only been as good recruiting running backs.

Guest Tigrinum Major

What's the old saying, "million dollar body and a 10 cent brain.

Accurate description. We've had our share of those over the years. I guess every school does.

And it wasn't necessarily that he wasn't smart, he just put his effort into things outside the classroom.

Pedro Cherry-WR

My bad. I didn't realize that's what happened to him. I've amended my list.

Archived