Les Miles response

AUman43

LSU coach directs expletive at Tide

Friday, February 09, 2007

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

LSU football coach Les Miles used an expletive in referring to the University of Alabama at a public signing day party attended by several thousand people in Baton Rouge.

"We're looking forward to playing Florida," Miles told a large crowd at Wednesday's Bayou Bash recruiting party at the Baton Rouge (La.) River Center. "We're looking forward to playing Auburn. But we have a new rival in f--ing Alabama."

Miles, who competed with new Alabama coach and former LSU coach Nick Saban to get the signatures of top recruits, was quoted by several media outlets in Louisiana, including The Shreveport Times, which published his word choice as "expletive deleted."

The newspaper reported that Miles got a standing ovation for his comments. Miles' speech was given in front of a crowd that included children. The families of Miles and his coaches were also present.

LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette said Miles would have no further comment.

Crimson Tide spokesman Doug Walker said Alabama had no response.

Alabama and LSU are scheduled to play in Tuscaloosa on Nov.3.

The expletive wasn't the only shot Miles took on Wednesday.

At a news conference to announce the Tigers' signing class, Miles was asked if Alabama had employed negative recruiting tactics toward LSU while trying to woo several prospects. Miles sidestepped the question, speaking only in general terms.

"I can tell you that there was some negative recruiting going on out there," Miles said. "Whatever was used against our staff obviously didn't work."

At issue was the recruitment of Luther Davis, a defensive end from West Monroe (La.) who de-committed from LSU to sign with the Crimson Tide. On Wednesday, Saban said he would not be shy about recruiting in his former home state.

"We're going to recruit anywhere there are good players," Saban said. "If they have them in Louisiana, we'll go after them." Bonnette said Miles' quotes about negative recruiting were not specifically directed at Alabama.

"Not true at all," said Davis, considered a four-star prospect by recruiting services. "The most Coach Saban mentioned LSU was to say how he helped raise money for the academic center. (Miles) is saying negative recruiting is the reason I signed with Alabama. But that's a lie. The reason I went to Alabama was that my chances of playing early were better there than at LSU."

Three weeks ago, Davis told Rivals.com that Saban took credit for the success of fourth-ranked LSU. Thursday, he said Saban never did that.

"He could've, because everyone who knows football knows those are his players," Davis said. "But he never pointed that out."

At his news conference, Miles also alleged that several schools committed recruiting violations, though he was not specific.

"If in fact we find there's some irregularities, they will be turned in," Miles said. "But I wouldn't want to say that it appeared from any one school more than any other."

Bonnette said again that Miles was not talking about Alabama.

E-mail: irapoport@bhamnews.com

My question is... Where is the national media outcry? Where is the front page poll on ESPN.com? Where is Cowherd?

The guy dropped the F bomb in reference to another school in public, and there's no criticism of him by the media? I call BS.

My question is... Where is the national media outcry? Where is the front page poll on ESPN.com? Where is Cowherd?

The guy dropped the F bomb in reference to another school in public, and there's no criticism of him by the media? I call BS.

Actually, I think Cowherd pretty much ripped all of us in one interview. I imagine ole' Les was included in his "The entire South is a bunch of backwards, behind the times, racist, illiterate bunch of barefoot, inbred, redneck...." I think that about covers it.

Miles was playing the fans with the F Bomb.... :rolleyes:

He's a very passionate guy who wears his emotions on his shoulders. It will bite him if he's not careful.

But here's a point to make about the word he used.

Go to any Movie above the letter G, and you will hear it. Turn on your TV, and you may indeed hear it. While I would not go as far as saying it in that forum, I think the point has been made.

:lsu: has elevated their hatred for :ua:

Actually, I think Cowherd pretty much ripped all of us in one interview. I imagine ole' Les was included in his "The entire South is a bunch of backwards, behind the times, racist, illiterate bunch of barefoot, inbred, redneck...." I think that about covers it.

Miles is a Michigan native isn't he? :headscratch:

He's a very passionate guy who wears his emotions on his shoulders. It will bite him if he's not careful.

Go to any Movie above the letter G, and you will hear it. Turn on your TV, and you may indeed hear it. While I would not go as far as saying it in that forum, I think the point has been made.

like i said in another post.....most people here said they had more of a problem with CNS dropping the f-bomb than they did with the coonass reference. mostly i guess because most people in louisiana were laughing at the national media for taking it so serious and they didn't even care. but les miles drops the f-bomb and "oh, you hear it every day everywhere you go, no big deal". i guess now its okay beacause:

1. LSU now hates us for some reason? i thought they had a coach.....

2. it was negative towards :ua:

i can't wait till CNS says "f-ing Auburn". THEN it won't be okay.

like i said in another post.....most people here said they had more of a problem with CNS dropping the f-bomb than they did with the coonass reference. mostly i guess because most people in louisiana were laughing at the national media for taking it so serious and they didn't even care. but les miles drops the f-bomb and "oh, you hear it every day everywhere you go, no big deal". i guess now its okay beacause:

I am taking Finebaum's stance...until I actually hear a tape of this, I choose not to believe he actually dropped the F Bomb.

Also, for the record, neither the term coona$$ or the F Bomb offended me personally. I am just sitting back and enjoying this all, because I am sure you would be doing the same if the shoe were on the other foot.

I am taking Finebaum's stance...until I actually hear a tape of this, I choose not to believe he actually dropped the F Bomb.

Also, for the record, neither the term coona$$ or the F Bomb offended me personally. I am just sitting back and enjoying this all, because I am sure you would be doing the same if the shoe were on the other foot.

PF's stance is that he's a moron. i certainly hope you wouldn't take his stance on something, because i highly doubt you are nearly as dumb as he is. neither term offended me either, and i'm not trying to suggest it should offend anyone. i'm simply suggesting that there is a clear double standard here.

I've heard that $abear drop a few expletives at the REC meeting Wed. It had something to do with “the school down the road". I’m sure our Bammer brethren can shed some light on this for us. It’s all over their message boards.

I've heard that $abear drop a few expletives at the REC meeting Wed. It had something to do with “the school down the road". I’m sure our Bammer brethren can shed some light on this for us. It’s all over their message boards.

i haven't seen it on any of the boards i lurk on, and haven't heard about it. links?

i haven't seen it on any of the boards i lurk on, and haven't heard about it. links?

It was on the BamaMag free board. But some how those expletives are no longer on there. hmmmmm

Turds

According to many LSU fans who attended the recruiting bash, Miles did not drop the F-Bomb, it's just a BS story that the media got ahold of. I wasn't there, but many people who attended said they did not hear him using that word.

What's the big deal?

It's not like no one has heard the F bomb used in conjunction with Alabama!

F%(*ing cheating ba$tard$!

$180,000 for a F%(*ing fat a$$ DL from Memphis?

F%(*ing arrogant butt holes!

F%(*ing conceited turds!

F%(*ing yeah, Bama's back!

The list goes on and on.

Atleast were not completely OBSSESED with another school. I'd rather have LSU have no rivals than the ridiculous obsession Bama and Auburn have.

LSU would be in the same boat if Tulane actually had a competitive football program, so don't even go there!

Atleast were not completely OBSSESED with another school. I'd rather have LSU have no rivals than the ridiculous obsession Bama and Auburn have.

That's funny. You guys TRY to be obsessed with whomever your current "rival of the month" is. Problem is, nobody thinks of LSU as their rival. Especially not the way you guys think they are yours.

You'll never understand, Mr. Corndog...because you don't have an in-state rivalry that splits families!!! :no:

:au::homer:

I'm hearing now that that fabulous journalist Ian Rappaport took a message board rumor and ran with it as fact when the truth is that Miles made no such statement. Wouldn't surprise me. What a magoo.

Grammar school. It helps.

I'm hearing now that that fabulous journalist Ian Rappaport took a message board rumor and ran with it as fact when the truth is that Miles made no such statement. Wouldn't surprise me. What a magoo.

+10 with the Bama nation for little Ian.

He should be in line for a big raise soon.

#1. I'd much rather have no instate rival and clean out my state in recruiting than splitting them with my bigtime rival.

#2. LSU fans HATE the "golden boot". I agree 100% it's the ugliest trophy in college football.

Archived