Who is Auburn's Mario Fannin?

AWK

In 2005, Mario Fannin was playing quarterback at Lovejoy High School in Georgia. During his senior season there, he threw for over 1,000 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also rushed for 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Fannin was clearly a stellar high school QB, which is why Rivals considered him the 23rd-best athlete nationally and No. 12 player coming out of Georgia in 2006. After all, his 4.44 40-yard dash, 305-pound bench press and 425-pound squat literally screamed, "take me!"

So the Auburn Tigers did. Afterward, they converted him to running back, as was expected. Then, well, there was nothing but practice. Auburn decided to redshirt Fannin this past season, which was certainly a hard thing for a superstar high school athlete like him to take.

"Now you're not playing at all and you're just practicing and not getting to show what you can do in the game," Fannin told the Decatur Daily. "The game is the test. We (he and other freshman) practice and practice and then there's no test to prove."

Still, by December, Fannin was reporting that the extra time had benefited him. "It's gotten me stronger and faster," he said. "I've developed more as an athlete overall. At first, I didn't like it. I look back on it now and I'm glad I did it."

All of that's good news for Auburn. An athlete like Fannin can be a trump card, the kind of player who makes defenses honest. Whether he breaks in as a true running back or some kind of hybrid, a guy with his talents could be quite useful in 2007.

Fannin could end up being an offensive playmaker -- something that Auburn didn't really possess in 2006. Word is that Fannin looks ready in practice. Of course, as he said himself, practice doesn't mean much.

Here's to looking forward to seeing what he's capable of in games next season.

Thats what I'm talkin about

Good post, I am super hyped to see this kid play (and I usually dont believe in hype). However when you hear everyone talk about this kid as being something special you cant but not get excited. I have never heard a guy's name mentioned for so many offensive positions.

Some one give me a count how many more days till K-State...WDE!

Well I played this kid in High School ball and I can vouch that he is the real deal (at least in high school he was.) He beat us by himself; if he can adjust to college football and make people look silly like he did in high school, we should be in for a treat.

I just can't wait until football season! I swear, I look forward to it more every year.

YEP! It's easy to get hyped up about a program like ours :)

Now, for false expectations..............go to www.lost5inarow.com ;)

Archived