NHL Inks New Television Deal

NEW YORK—Flanked by Food Network president Brooke Johnson and cooking-show host Rachael Ray, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced yesterday that the NHL has opted out of its contract with the Versus cable channel (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) and has reached a long-term broadcasting deal with the Food Network starting in the 2007-08 season.

Enlarge Image

"In all my years as commissioner, I have learned that our diverse group of fans and players all enjoy food of some sort. Italian, French, barbecue, quick-and-easy 30-minute meals—you name it, one or more of them eat it," said Bettman, adding that Iron Chef French host Hiroyuki Sakai will join play-by-play announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick and analyst Brian Engblom to form a new lead announcing team for all Food Network games. "This partnership has been a long time coming. If the Food Network would have been around in 1991, we would have left ESPN in a heartbeat."

“It’s great to know we will be on television next year,” Bettman added, smiling as the NHL’s new studio team, consisting of Rachael Ray as head hockey anchor and Bill Clement as game analyst, collaborated in an attempt to equate the offsides penalty to “zesting up” a pan-seared T-bone steak. “Thanks, Food Network.”

Though Bettman maintained that the Food Network was always the league's first choice, sources close to the commissioner confirmed that the NHL also considered broadcasting games on E!, the Golf Channel, and Cartoon Network before eventually deciding to go with the network offering the best combination of financial incentives and airtime.

"We also thought the lead-in programs on Versus, especially those that focused on bull-riding, bass fishing, and violent contact sports, were not entirely compatible with the image of the league," Bettman said. "Now, hockey games will follow Emeril Live, Feasting On Asphalt, and The Hungry Detective, which, as you can plainly see, are a better fit. Also, we are paying the Food Network much less money to broadcast our games."

Why are you flaming hockey? There are more hockey fans on this board then you realize.

Why are you flaming hockey? There are more hockey fans on this board then you realize.

Good grief. It's a joke. It's funny a article from the Onion, basically making light of their loss of viewership over the years. That's it. So get a grip.

Bro, you need to chill out. I know it was a joke, but I was only asking why you were flaming hockey? Maybe I did not think it was funny. Even so, I did not say anything to insult you, so why do you have to turn around and get an attitude? You seem to do that anytime somebody does not agree with you or says something negative about your post.

FYI...just because it is a joke does not automatically exclude it from being a slam on somebody or something. Most jokes are meant as a slam.

NEW YORK—Flanked by Food Network president Brooke Johnson and cooking-show host Rachael Ray, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced yesterday that the NHL has opted out of its contract with the Versus cable channel (formerly the Outdoor Life Network) and has reached a long-term broadcasting deal with the Food Network starting in the 2007-08 season.

Enlarge Image

"In all my years as commissioner, I have learned that our diverse group of fans and players all enjoy food of some sort. Italian, French, barbecue, quick-and-easy 30-minute meals—you name it, one or more of them eat it," said Bettman, adding that Iron Chef French host Hiroyuki Sakai will join play-by-play announcer Mike "Doc" Emrick and analyst Brian Engblom to form a new lead announcing team for all Food Network games. "This partnership has been a long time coming. If the Food Network would have been around in 1991, we would have left ESPN in a heartbeat."

“It’s great to know we will be on television next year,” Bettman added, smiling as the NHL’s new studio team, consisting of Rachael Ray as head hockey anchor and Bill Clement as game analyst, collaborated in an attempt to equate the offsides penalty to “zesting up” a pan-seared T-bone steak. “Thanks, Food Network.”

Though Bettman maintained that the Food Network was always the league's first choice, sources close to the commissioner confirmed that the NHL also considered broadcasting games on E!, the Golf Channel, and Cartoon Network before eventually deciding to go with the network offering the best combination of financial incentives and airtime.

"We also thought the lead-in programs on Versus, especially those that focused on bull-riding, bass fishing, and violent contact sports, were not entirely compatible with the image of the league," Bettman said. "Now, hockey games will follow Emeril Live, Feasting On Asphalt, and The Hungry Detective, which, as you can plainly see, are a better fit. Also, we are paying the Food Network much less money to broadcast our games."

Weak....very weak....

Bro, you need to chill out. I know it was a joke, but I was only asking why you were flaming hockey? Maybe I did not think it was funny. Even so, I did not say anything to insult you, so why do you have to turn around and get an attitude? You seem to do that anytime somebody does not agree with you or says something negative about your post.

FYI...just because it is a joke does not automatically exclude it from being a slam on somebody or something. Most jokes are meant as a slam.

Well, yeah it's a slam. Actually a light-hearted poke, just like any other joke about any other topic in the universe. You're the one whining about my posting this. Sorry to bruise your fragile sensibilities.

I love hockey and find it amusing. Besides, if it were true, it would raise ratings since most people in the country actually HAVE the Food Network, whereas many of the largest TV markets don't get Versus.

I like to think of them (hockey fans) like Yettie and people from Wyoming, people say they exist, but I've never seen one. :poke:

I like to think of them (hockey fans) like Yettie and people from Wyoming, people say they exist, but I've never seen one. :poke:

Dude, I know a lot of them in Huntsville. At the place I used to work, we had sports week one time and each day was a different sport. When hockey day came up, I figured I would be one of the few that wore a hockey jersey or T-shirt. Surprisingly, there were a lot of people that wore hockey gear. Of course some of it was the Huntsville teams stuff, but I saw a lot of Red Wings :puke: and St. Louis Blues jerseys. We have actually had some pretty decent threads going on during the hockey playoffs on the board. Last couple of years have been dead because of the freakin' strike.

Speaking of Food Network, Rachel Ray rocks! She can cook and she ain't that bad on the eyes either.

Archived