I brought this one up to a member of the Alabama delegation that visited

Bill would make all military pay tax-free

A bill exempting all military pay and benefits from federal income taxes was introduced Monday in the House of Representatives.

“U.S. soldiers are fighting hard to protect our freedoms, and they should be protected from the long arm of the IRS,” said Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas, the chief sponsor of a bill that has four Republican cosponsors.

Culberson said the bill, HR 1559, which he is calling the Armed Forces Tax Relief Act, “will allow soldiers to concentrate on defending America, rather than worrying about paying their taxes.”

Culberson is not the first person to propose federal tax exclusions for all service members. Similar legislation has rarely received any serious attention in Congress, because the drop in federal tax revenues would have to be made up by increasing taxes on other Americans, or by cutting spending on federal entitlement programs, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and military and federal civilian retired pay — all unpopular choices for politicians, according to House aides working on military personnel issues. The aides asked not to be identified because they are not authorized to speak to reporters.

The measure was referred to the House Ways and Means Committee, where it is one of several military-related tax measures introduced since the new session of Congress started in January. It is, by far, the most ambitious because it would expand tax exclusions to everyone on active duty. Currently, such exclusions are limited to active-duty members only while serving in combat zones.

Link

I don't know, TIS. I have no problem with, and actually like, my pay being tax free while I'm in a combat zone but when you're back stateside or in Europe or Korea I don't see the problem with military members having to pay taxes just like everyone else. It's not a hassle to file your taxes and doesn't take away from having to focus on your job. I filed my taxes almost a month ago using TurboTax and it took me all of 30 minutes to do it. And when you're deployed to a combat zone you don't have to file your taxes until you get back.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that someone out there thinks we should be entitled to tax free pay. It means they truly appreciate what we do and their push for tax free pay is probably based on the fact that our job is inherently dangerous. But, then again, so are the jobs of police officers and firefighters but they have to pay taxes too.

Also, I think if our pay were completely tax free then you'd have a slew of people trying to join the military to get a free ride through life. We (Army, Navy, USAF, Marines) already have our fair share of dirtbags in the officer and NCO ranks who slip through the cracks and continue to get promoted and are just riding the system for everything that it's worth. I think if military pay were completely tax free then the problem would be increased twofold or more. And who's going to tell a perfectly healthy person of military age "no, you can't join"?

Just my opinion.

My version of the bill limited this to retired pay. I was eating lunch with Bud Cramer and he asked what could be done to make a military career more enticing. I told him to make retired pay tax exempt. Do a minimum of 20 years honorably, your check is tax free. The state of Alabama does it.

You will be surprised to learn how many people already think military pay is not taxed and resent it.

My version of the bill limited this to retired pay. I was eating lunch with Bud Cramer and he asked what could be done to make a military career more enticing. I told him to make retired pay tax exempt. Do a minimum of 20 years honorably, your check is tax free. The state of Alabama does it.

This I would support, yes.

Archived