What we've lost

GalensGhost

I was in South Alabama this weekend and on a whim stopped by to see the USS Alabama again. First time since I was a kid.

In one of the rooms there is a section with newspapers from the 1940s. I was struck and saddened by the difference in what I saw there and what I see now.

In those papers there were articles detailing the job our troops were doing overseas. The articles and headlines described our soldiers as heroes, as valiant, as strong, as courageous. The articles were positive and supportive. There was one which reported on a speech from then-president Roosevelt where he said that the war would be long and hard, but that we must pull together to endure it to achieve victory.

Reading these yellowing old articles, I felt a wave of overwhelming despair. Where the media once paid homage to our troops, its mission now seems to be to tear our military down. I have no doubt that our troops are just as capable, just as dedicated and just as valiant as those who sacrificed in WWII, but I don't think the country as a whole -- thanks to the media/entertainment industry -- has the fortitude to do what's necessary any longer. The media wants us to cut and run the minute the conflict costs lives. More soldiers died on D-Day than have been killed in the entirety of the Iraq War. The media would never allow that to happen again.

The Tuscaloosa News runs one story a week on a soldier who died in Iraq. They claim its intended to honor the veterans, but it's pretty clear that the agenda is to demean our military mission. They're not the only ones. It started with Dan Assbag Rather in Vietnam. It continued through Geraldo 'Here's where we are come shoot us' Rivera. It runs the gamut of almost every media in the country. Where entertainers from Sinatra to Marilyn to Hope once showed public support for our troops, now we have dipsticks like Alec Baldwin and twits like the Dixie Chicks disparaging the war and our leaders.

It's a horrible shame. It makes me sick to think of how vulnerable these fools would have us be. We couldn't negotiate and make peace with the "Japs" (in the terminology used in the articles) or the Nazis. We had to break them. We can't negotiate or make peace with the terrorists or the nations that support them. Diplomacy only works when there is the threat of the stick behind it. If the wussified like Rosie O'Donnell and her ilk get their way, there will be no stick to wield -- and then the world as we know it will be lost forever.

If the media had been of the same attitude during WWII, we'd all be speaking German or Japanese.

The only other thing I can add is how quiet and timid those who understand the importance of what we're doing have become. Other than John McCain and a few others, the rest of the pro-America crowd have been cowered into the corner by a unrelenting press and it's non stop propaganda machine.

Excellent post, GG. Thank you very much.

I have stated time and again my disdain for the media, most of the entertainment industry, and those who claim to support us by attacking our mission and cheering for our nations defeat. You are absolutely correct, there is a huge difference in the willpower of our nation now as compared to the WWII years. It's sickening and I, for one, will never forget the role the media played in helping Al Qaeda outlast us. Nor will I ever forget or forgive how certain politicians sold the soldiers out in order to advance their standing in their party.

The military know they are having to fight one enemy on the battlefield and another back home. It's a damn shame. Look closely at photos taken of soldiers over in the war zone. They oftentimes will "salute" the journalist, like this one did!

Mediasalute.jpg

and this one (SSGT Lockett from Huntsville)

Mediasalute2.jpg

Here is what gripes me the most...Since when did being a "celebrity" mean that the rest of America should give a rats butt about what you have to say or what your views are?

I believe Ron Paul says it best.

Today just about everyone acknowledges the war has gone badly, and 70% of the American people want it to end. Our national defense is weakened, the financial costs continue to drain us, our allies have deserted us, and our enemies are multiplying – not to mention the tragic toll of death and injury suffered by American forces.

Iraq is a mess, and we urgently need a new direction – but our leaders offer only hand-wringing and platitudes. They have no clear-cut ideas to end the suffering and war. Even the most ardent war hawks cannot begin to define victory in Iraq.

As an Air Force officer serving from 1963–1968, I heard the same agonizing pleas from the American people. These pleas were met with the same excuses about why we could not change a deeply flawed policy and rethink the war in Vietnam. That bloody conflict, also undeclared and unconstitutional, seems to have taught us little despite the horrific costs.

Once again, though everyone now accepts that the original justifications for invading Iraq were not legitimate, we are given excuses for not leaving. We flaunt our power by building permanent military bases and an enormous billion-dollar embassy, yet claim we have no plans to stay in Iraq permanently. Assurances that our presence in Iraq has nothing to do with oil are not believed in the Middle East.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul382.html

I was in South Alabama this weekend and on a whim stopped by to see the USS Alabama again. First time since I was a kid.

In one of the rooms there is a section with newspapers from the 1940s. I was struck and saddened by the difference in what I saw there and what I see now.

In those papers there were articles detailing the job our troops were doing overseas. The articles and headlines described our soldiers as heroes, as valiant, as strong, as courageous. The articles were positive and supportive. There was one which reported on a speech from then-president Roosevelt where he said that the war would be long and hard, but that we must pull together to endure it to achieve victory.

Reading these yellowing old articles, I felt a wave of overwhelming despair. Where the media once paid homage to our troops, its mission now seems to be to tear our military down. I have no doubt that our troops are just as capable, just as dedicated and just as valiant as those who sacrificed in WWII, but I don't think the country as a whole -- thanks to the media/entertainment industry -- has the fortitude to do what's necessary any longer. The media wants us to cut and run the minute the conflict costs lives. More soldiers died on D-Day than have been killed in the entirety of the Iraq War. The media would never allow that to happen again.

The Tuscaloosa News runs one story a week on a soldier who died in Iraq. They claim its intended to honor the veterans, but it's pretty clear that the agenda is to demean our military mission. They're not the only ones. It started with Dan Assbag Rather in Vietnam. It continued through Geraldo 'Here's where we are come shoot us' Rivera. It runs the gamut of almost every media in the country. Where entertainers from Sinatra to Marilyn to Hope once showed public support for our troops, now we have dipsticks like Alec Baldwin and twits like the Dixie Chicks disparaging the war and our leaders.

It's a horrible shame. It makes me sick to think of how vulnerable these fools would have us be. We couldn't negotiate and make peace with the "Japs" (in the terminology used in the articles) or the Nazis. We had to break them. We can't negotiate or make peace with the terrorists or the nations that support them. Diplomacy only works when there is the threat of the stick behind it. If the wussified like Rosie O'Donnell and her ilk get their way, there will be no stick to wield -- and then the world as we know it will be lost forever.

If the media had been of the same attitude during WWII, we'd all be speaking German or Japanese.

Yeah, they should print what the Pentagon tells them to:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The last soldier to see Army Ranger Pat Tillman alive, Spc. Bryan O'Neal, told lawmakers that he was warned by superiors not to divulge -- especially to the Tillman family -- that a fellow soldier killed Tillman.

O'Neal particularly wanted to tell fellow soldier Kevin Tillman, who was in the convoy traveling behind his brother at the time of the 2004 incident in Afghanistan.

"I wanted right off the bat to let the family know what had happened, especially Kevin, because I worked with him in a platoon and I knew that he and the family all needed to know what had happened," O'Neal testified. "I was quite appalled that when I was actually able to speak with Kevin, I was ordered not to tell him."

Asked who gave him the order, O'Neal replied that it came from his battalion commander, then-Lt. Col. Jeff Bailey.

"He basically just said ... 'Do not let Kevin know, that he's probably in a bad place knowing his brother's dead,' " O'Neal told House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Henry Waxman. "And he made it known I would get in trouble, sir, if I spoke with Kevin on it being fratricide."

The military instead released a "manufactured narrative" detailing how Pat Tillman died leading a courageous counterattack in an Afghan mountain pass, Kevin Tillman told the committee. (Watch Kevin Tillman accuse the military of lying )

Also Tuesday, former Pfc. Jessica Lynch told the House panel that the military lied about her capture.

Lynch testified that after her vehicle was attacked in Iraq in March 2003, she suffered a mangled spinal column, broken arm, crushed foot, shattered femur and even a sexual assault.

But it only added insult to injury, literally, when she returned to her parents' home in West Virginia, which "was under siege by media all repeating the story of the little girl 'Rambo' from the hills of West Virginia who went down fighting," Lynch said. (Watch Lynch set the record straight )

"It was not true," she said before gently chiding the military. "The truth is always more heroic than the hype."

Waxman, D-California, said the military "invented" tales about Tillman and Lynch. (Watch Lynch describe her bond with the Tillman family )

"The bare minimum we owe our soldiers and their families is the truth," Waxman said. "That didn't happen for two of the most famous soldiers in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars."

Brother calls tale 'calculated lies'

As the tide was turning in the U.S. battle against Afghan insurgents -- and as media outlets prepared to release reports on detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib in Iraq -- the military saw Pat Tillman's death as an "opportunity," Kevin Tillman told the panel.

Even after it became clear the report was bogus, the military clung to the "utter fiction" that Pat Tillman was killed by a member of his platoon who was following the rules of engagement, the brother said.

"Revealing that Pat's death was a fratricide would have been yet another political disaster during a month already swollen with disasters," Kevin Tillman said. "The facts needed to be suppressed. An alternative narrative had to be constructed, crucial evidence destroyed."

Tillman bristled at the military claim that the initial report was merely misleading.

Clearly resentful, he told the panel that writing a field report stating that his brother had been "transferred to an intensive care unit for continued CPR after most of his head had been taken off by multiple .556 rounds is not misleading."

"These are deliberate and calculated lies," he said.

Pat Tillman, who became a national hero after he gave up a lucrative contract with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals to join the Army's elite Rangers force, was awarded the Silver Star, the military's third-highest combat decoration, after the Army said he was killed leading a counterattack.

O'Neal testified that his superiors had him write a statement about the incident for Tillman's Silver Star commendation. He said the final version contained false statements about enemy fire that had been inserted by someone else.

Thomas F. Gimble, the Defense Department's acting inspector general, said that investigators could not determine who altered O'Neal's statement and that no attempt was made to examine the document's electronic history.

The Army later acknowledged that not only that Tillman was killed by his fellow soldiers, but that officers in Tillman's chain of command knew the counterattack story was bogus.

Still, Senior Chief Petty Officer Stephen White told the official heroism-under-fire story at a May 3, 2004, memorial service for Tillman.

"It's a horrible thing that happened with Pat," White, a Navy SEAL who was Tillman's friend, told the committee. "I'm the guy that told America how he died, basically, at that memorial. It was incorrect. That does not sit well with me."

Though the military blamed the erroneous report on an inadequate initial investigation, Mary Tillman told ESPN Radio last month that everyone involved in the shooting knew immediately that her son had been shot three times in the head by a member of his platoon.

"The Tillman family was kept in the dark for more than a month," Waxman said. "Evidence was destroyed. Witness statements were doctored. The Tillman family wants to know how all of this could've happened."

Lynch: Truth 'not always easy'

Lynch's testimony began with a recollection of the March 23, 2003, attack and her purported rescue nine days later.

As she and her fellow 11 soldiers drove through Nassiriya, Iraq, they noticed armed men standing in the streets and on rooftops. Three soldiers were quickly killed when a rocket-propelled grenade slammed into their vehicle, Lynch said.

The other eight died in the ensuing fighting or from injuries suffered during the fighting, she said. Lynch later woke up at Saddam Hussein General Hospital.

"When I awoke, I did not know where I was. I could not move. I could not call for help. I could not fight," she said, explaining she had a six-inch gash in her head and numerous broken bones. "The nurses at the hospital tried to soothe me, and they even tried unsuccessfully at one point to return me to Americans."

On April 1, U.S. troops came for her.

"A soldier came into the room. He tore the American flag from his uniform, and he handed it to me in my hand and he told me, 'We're American soldiers, and we're here to take you home.' And I looked at him and I said, 'Yes, I'm an American soldier, too,' " she recalled.

She was distraught to come home and find herself billed as a hero when two of her fellow soldiers had fought bravely until the firefight's end and another had died after picking up soldiers and removing them from harm's way.

"The American people are capable of determining their own ideals for heroes, and they don't need to be told elaborate lies," she said. "I had the good fortune to come home and to tell the truth. Many soldiers, like Pat Tillman, did not have that opportunity.

"The truth of war is not always easy. The truth is always more heroic than the hype," she said.

Lynch became a celebrity after U.S. troops filmed what they said was a daring raid on the hospital. Hospital staffers, however, said there were no Iraqi troops at the hospital when the purported rescue took place.

In the March 23, 2003, attack, Lynch, the Army claimed, was shot and stabbed during a fierce gun battle with Iraqi troops that left 11 of her comrades dead. It was later learned that Lynch never fired a shot during the firefight because her gun was jammed with sand.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/24/til...ring/index.html

You are correct. NOW that we know the truth, take his silver star away. It isn't appreciated anyway. I say they recall J. Lynch back to duty. She needs to find out what its like to work without being a hero. Sometimes you gotta know when to shut your mouth. Also, Tillman would not be dead today had his brother not wanted to join up. Tillman joined to be with his brother. I guess all that guilt is eating him up. Many soldiers have died in battle from friendly fire. It is a sad truth. But to diminish his service by making his death to be only about how he died from friendly fire instead of how he bravely answered the call to defend his country, is demeaning to him. A soldier died the other day in training from an errant bullet. Where is your outrage for him? You have none. It does not advance your political agenda.

. A soldier died the other day in training from an errant bullet. Where is your outrage for him? You have none. It does not advance your political agenda.

Did they lie about how he died, too? No? Must not have fit their political agenda.

Here's the true story about how the corporate media carried the water for this administration's lies:

www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/btw/watch.htm

. A soldier died the other day in training from an errant bullet. Where is your outrage for him? You have none. It does not advance your political agenda.

Did they lie about how he died, too? No? Must not have fit their political agenda.

We lost 700 soldiers in a horrible training accident in the English Channel a few days before D-Day. We lost more soldiers in accidents during Clinton's peacetime presidency than we have throughout this entire Iraq shooting war. We averaged around 2,000 KIA per week during WWII. The Left has no stomach for war, but plenty for "fighting" (so long as it's other Americans who are being "fought" and not Islamofascists or other homicidal maniacs). That's okay, after you've broken everything you can and got the precious White House back you can preside over the remainder of western civ sliding into the new Dark Ages. Enjoy!

The media ARE the enemy. They are brazen about it, too. When the headchoppers finally get a nuke be ready for them to connect the dots for you. Your 401K? Gone in a flash. Your home value? Zero. Your groceries? Nope, JIT systems will be gone. The internet? Gone. Cell phones? Jammed. Freedoms? Abridged....and seriously. Go ahead and order up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hip-Legnth-Khimar-Hija...1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't worry, though, the media won't see it coming, either. They'll still be publishing stories about Bushco being the Antichrist.

We lost 700 soldiers in a horrible training accident in the English Channel a few days before D-Day. We lost more soldiers in accidents during Clinton's peacetime presidency than we have throughout this entire Iraq shooting war. We averaged around 2,000 KIA per week during WWII. The Left has no stomach for war, but plenty for "fighting" (so long as it's other Americans who are being "fought" and not Islamofascists or other homicidal maniacs). That's okay, after you've broken everything you can and got the precious White House back you can preside over the remainder of western civ sliding into the new Dark Ages. Enjoy!

Of course, you totally miss the point.

The media ARE the enemy. They are brazen about it, too. When the headchoppers finally get a nuke be ready for them to connect the dots for you. Your 401K? Gone in a flash. Your home value? Zero. Your groceries? Nope, JIT systems will be gone. The internet? Gone. Cell phones? Jammed. Freedoms? Abridged....and seriously. Go ahead and order up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hip-Legnth-Khimar-Hija...1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't worry, though, the media won't see it coming, either. They'll still be publishing stories about Bushco being the Antichrist.

How much internet time do y'all get at Brice?

He's on the money, Tex.

The media/entertainment industry is just as much the enemy these days as the terrorists are. And the biggest enemy of all is mealy-mouthed, pussified, no backbone liberals. Foreign relations is a little like raising a child. At some point time outs and lectures stop working. Sometimes you've got to spank that ass to get their attention and respect.

It's time for a little history lesson. Before the United States of America became a world superpower and the greatest civilization in history, what group of people owned that title? Best ever? Why the Romans, of course. Why aren't the Romans still dominating? Because they were destroyed. Baddest army in the history of the world overrun by far less sophisticated hordes. How did this happen? The Romans got lazy. They were more concerned with pontificating than the were with protecting. They were more concerned with breads and circuses and what the entertainers had to say than they were supporting their armies. They got complacent. They got arrogant. They believed they were invincible. Even when vastly inferior opponents began to chip away at their legend and their might, they ignored the warnings.

Sound familiar? We don't have anything on the Romans. They were way badder than we ever thought about being. But we seem to have the same idiots clamoring for power for the sake of hearing themselves speak.

He's on the money, Tex.

The media/entertainment industry is just as much the enemy these days as the terrorists are. And the biggest enemy of all is mealy-mouthed, pussified, no backbone liberals. Foreign relations is a little like raising a child. At some point time outs and lectures stop working. Sometimes you've got to spank that ass to get their attention and respect.

The enemy is the delusional folks who can't figure out who the enemy is.

He's on the money, Tex.

You're exactly right. Keep looking. I hope you figure it out soon. I hope all of those who share your views do.

He's on the money, Tex.

You're exactly right. Keep looking. I hope you figure it out soon. I hope all of those who share your views do.

They won't figure it out. Too much fun claiming that Bushco are the most vile, murderous beasts in history (which is only the last three years or so). They'll just learn to speak Gallic and Hun like everybody else.

GG, I'll give YOU a history lesson....did you know that Bush stole an election in 2000? Did you know that Kerry got swiftboated in 2004? Did you know that Bush/Cheney LIED us into a war that an otherwise peaceful and gullible Congress would have never supported? Did you know that Iran has been trying to establish peaceful relations with the West for years? Did you know Bushco engineered the slaughter of thousands of innocents on 9/11 to gin up a war for oil?

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. Genocide, slavery, and a generation of war will be the legacy of the modern Democrat party after they force us into another pointless loss for political gain (again). I just hope it won't be millions killed this time, although i expect the death toll this time to be astronomical. I expect the Marsh Arabs, Melkites, and Maronites to disappear completely this time. The Druze, Kurds, and Israelis are also in for quite a storm. That's okay, though, Bushco will be destroyed at all costs!

Archived