Alabama NCAA Death Penalty ?

TigerHead

He is just trying to keep tradishun alive.

You know....Live in the past.

Indeed. And even if you believe Bowden, Bowden says he corrected this way back in the early Nineties.

About as relevant as the old Collier's magazine Bama article to the current question regarding the death penalty.

i'm going to just lay it out there: WHY DO WE LET BAMAPERRY POST ON THIS FORUM?

I've heard one train of thought that says the NCAA will probably never go all the way to the death penalty again after the SMU case because they stand to lose too much revenue in these days of multimillion dollar TV/Bowl/BCS moneymaking. Similarly, I've heard some suggest money as the reason the NCAA has moved away from TV bans. (Surely if we lost a whole year of TV for one box of steaks in 1993, a $200,000 recruit from Memphis would have been reason enough to keep the Tide off the small screen.) But I wouldn't bet the life of my football program on such theories!

Has any school ever been found guilty of infractions (major or minor) while still on probation for earlier violations committed under the repeat offender status, i.e., 3rd infraction(s) while under probation for 2nd infractions that fell under the "repeat offender" window of 1st infractions? While there may not be a written "3 strikes and you're out" policy with the NCAA, how often can you slap them in the face and expect to survive?

On the other hand, based on the amount of time the NCAA has found itself in court from the last Bama problems, they have to know that imposing the death penalty would have them tied up in court with frivalous lawsuits by Bama faithful from now to doomsday! They could have Fox News footage of Paul Bryant Jr handing out $1000 bills in the locker room as Saban looks on and some Bama fans would still take them to court.

[To be fair however: Major or minor, I'm withholding judgement on the validity of the latest rumors until they're proven more than just Internet speculation and innuendo.]

If any school is ever as blatant as SMU was, the NCAA would have to issue the death penalty or have zero credibility.

Ignore the Plug. I actually wasted the time to call him out on another topic and ofcourse he cowered away. He has nothing unique or insightful to add and is a waste of my oxygen.

Someone actually quoted Steve Kirk? Now that is funny.

Still waiting on that book we were promised on the PFS almost 4 years ago now from Flint, Bowden, and company. Funny, but I just cant seem to find it... :no:

:lmao:

I've heard one train of thought that says the NCAA will probably never go all the way to the death penalty again after the SMU case because they stand to lose too much revenue in these days of multimillion dollar TV/Bowl/BCS moneymaking. Similarly, I've heard some suggest money as the reason the NCAA has moved away from TV bans. (Surely if we lost a whole year of TV for one box of steaks in 1993, a $200,000 recruit from Memphis would have been reason enough to keep the Tide off the small screen.) But I wouldn't bet the life of my football program on such theories!

Has any school ever been found guilty of infractions (major or minor) while still on probation for earlier violations committed under the repeat offender status, i.e., 3rd infraction(s) while under probation for 2nd infractions that fell under the "repeat offender" window of 1st infractions? While there may not be a written "3 strikes and you're out" policy with the NCAA, how often can you slap them in the face and expect to survive?

On the other hand, based on the amount of time the NCAA has found itself in court from the last Bama problems, they have to know that imposing the death penalty would have them tied up in court with frivalous lawsuits by Bama faithful from now to doomsday! They could have Fox News footage of Paul Bryant Jr handing out $1000 bills in the locker room as Saban looks on and some Bama fans would still take them to court.

[To be fair however: Major or minor, I'm withholding judgement on the validity of the latest rumors until they're proven more than just Internet speculation and innuendo.]

If memory serves me correctly, it happened to Florida in the 80's.. They were put on probation in 1985 and in 1990 but the 1990 infractions occured while they were on probation from the 1985 sentence. As far as I'm concerned this should have been repeat offender status, but the NCAA makes their own rules and decided it wasn't.

Archived