bammer bball player arrested

kickinwang

link

Tide basketball player arrested

By Christopher Walsh

Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama men’s basketball player Yamene Java Coleman was arrested Monday and charged with eight counts of fraudulent use of a credit card.

Bail for the 21-year-old was set at $12,000.

Last season, as a freshman, Coleman played in 21 of the Crimson Tide’s 32 games, with two starts, averaging 9.3 minutes, 1.8 points and 2.4 rebounds per game.

He also had six blocked shots, four steals and 11 turnovers.

The 6-foot-9, 230-pound center started against Alabama State and Middle Tennessee State. He scored a career-high six points at Notre Dame, and grabbed 10 rebounds against Coppin State.

Coleman (No. 34) received the team’s “Attitude Award” at the year-end banquet.

In high school he helped lead Wilcox Central in Camden to the 2003 Class 5A state championship, and the semifinals in 2004 and 2005.

As a senior, he averaged 26 points, 13 rebounds and six blocked shots, and went on to tally 14 points and 12 rebounds in the Alabama vs. Mississippi All-Star Classic.

Coleman redshirted in 2005-6.

A spokesperson for the University of Alabama declined comment.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naaahhh, he should fit right in.

What the H-E-double hockey sticks was his mama thinking to name that boy "Yamene Java". Sounds like a coffee bean from Brazil.

Naaahhh, he should fit right in.

What the H-E-double hockey sticks was his mama thinking to name that boy "Yamene Java". Sounds like a coffee bean from Brazil.

She wanted him to be uniqua....uh I mean uneak..er, uh unique. Now he's just another "wannabe" felon with a (IMO)weird ass name. I bet he gets nicknamed Java-baby if he gets convicted and has to go in the pokey.

I encourage board members to re-read the rules. Stay way from bashing players. He is not convicted, he is only accused, nothing more.

They'll just name him team captain...

Here's the scoop...one of Bama's BBall players transferred from school. But his student ID still had some money left on it (they make you put 200-300 bucks on your ID every semester. you can buy food and stuff with it). He gave it to Yamene because he didn't need it anymore. So Yamene used it to order pizza. The driver noticed it was a different card than the one he normally uses so he reported it.

Pretty weak if you ask me. It's CLEARLY not what it seemed in the beginning. The TPD should be ASHAMED for charging this guy with "credit card fraud".

Guest Tigrinum Major

Here's the scoop...one of Bama's BBall players transferred from school. But his student ID still had some money left on it (they make you put 200-300 bucks on your ID every semester. you can buy food and stuff with it). He gave it to Yamene because he didn't need it anymore. So Yamene used it to order pizza. The driver noticed it was a different card than the one he normally uses so he reported it.

Pretty weak if you ask me. It's CLEARLY not what it seemed in the beginning. The TPD should be ASHAMED for charging this guy with "credit card fraud".

Link?

Link?

they make you put 200-300 bucks on your ID every semester

Oh, really? If that is UAT policy go google UAT's site and find a link.

When I left school I had five buck on my idea, and before I left campus I made sure to walk down to the cashier's office and cash out my five bucks. Please, no moron is going to just leave over a hundred bucks on a student ID and just give it somebody.

Link?

Sigh, no link yet. Give it time.

isn't that a ncaa violation? a person not at attending bammer giving an athlete a "credit card" with $200-$300 on it?

isn't that a ncaa violation? a person not at attending bammer giving an athlete a "credit card" with $200-$300 on it?

Why would it be? If a friend gave him $200 bucks it wouldn't be a violation.

Why would it be? If a friend gave him $200 bucks it wouldn't be a violation.

i'm not a booster...i'm a friend, wink wink. here's a credit card..no strings attached. B)

Dear BG -

The Juwan Simpson story was not what it seemed. Except it was.

The Jasmeen Bleeth story is not what it seems. Except that it is.

What part of eight counts did you miss? Did he buy eight separate pizzas from the same guy?

Sincerely,

Truth hurts

Dear BG -

What part of eight counts did you miss? Did he buy eight separate pizzas from the same guy?

Sincerely,

Truth hurts

Yeah, too bad you are wrong.

The eight counts makes my story even MORE feasible. If they go after him for the one pizza purchase, then they probably back dated all the transactions with that card that Yamene used. Be it a vending machine on campus, or a lunch at the Ferg.

Dear BG -

Sincerely,

Truth hurts

The eight counts makes my story even MORE feasible. If they go after him for the one pizza purchase, then they probably back dated all the transactions with that card that Yamene used. Be it a vending machine on campus, or a lunch at the Ferg.

imagine that..you get busted for using someone else's credit card and the cops do a little research to see it you used it more than once. brilliant!

Dear BG -

Sincerely,

Truth hurts

imagine that..you get busted for using someone else's credit card and the cops do a little research to see it you used it more than once. brilliant!

Sigh. Or better phrased "use your FRIENDS prepaid card that he GAVE you...and the cops waste their time trying to bring felony charges against you for it"

I think it's pretty sad that he used essentially a prepaid debit card that was given to him...and they cops would like to put him in prison for it.

Dear BG -

Sincerely,

Truth hurts

Sigh. Or better phrased "use your FRIENDS prepaid card that he GAVE you...and the cops waste their time trying to bring felony charges against you for it"

I think it's pretty sad that he used essentially a prepaid debit card that was given to him...and they cops would like to put him in prison for it.

i swear officer, that old lady wanted me to have her purse. what a shame

Dear BG -

Sincerely,

Truth hurts

Better than probation which is what you guys would really get if anybody starts checking all the pre-paid cards that "friends" have given Bama players.

And for the record? Your story may be true but it is hardly feasible at this point. Cops -- believe it or not -- don't delight in tormenting poor ol' Bama players who haven't done anything wrong. If they arrested him and intend to prosecute there's more than you're willing to admit. In fact, if somebody tries to peddle the story that he was just jamming on a friend's card -- something the police or DA could easily have checked with one phone call -- I'm going to call it a coverup. Because that's what it will be.

Better than probation which is what you guys would really get if anybody starts checking all the pre-paid cards that "friends" have given Bama players.

You are right. Here's what really happened...a 55 year old rich white man decided to morph himself into an 18 year old black kid who was really good at basketball. So good, in fact, that he would get a scholly offer from Bama to play BBall.

He then got in good with Yamene Coleman (a bench player), just so he could transfer out and leave him his student ID that had 200 dollars or less left on it.

Good call.

Archived