Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester returning for first start

Ranger12

Some of you outside of the Red Sox nation may remember this story from last year. What a great story this has been for this kid. The game will be televised tomorrow night on ESPN2.

Link

BOSTON -- In what is sure to be an emotional moment for both Jon Lester and his family, the left-hander will step back on a Major League mound Monday night for the first time since being diagnosed with a treatable form of anaplastic large cell lymphoma last August.

Lester will supplant struggling right-hander Julian Tavarez in the Boston rotation by kicking off a four-game series at Jacobs Field against the Indians. To make room for Lester on the roster, the Red Sox will designate Joel Pineiro for assignment on Tuesday, effectively ending the right-handed reliever's inconsistent first season in Boston.

As for Lester, the 23-year-old left-hander last pitched in the Major Leagues on Aug. 23, 2006.

"I'm excited and ready to go," Lester said from Pawtucket, R.I., where he did a workout in the afternoon before re-joining his teammates in Boston for the Sunday evening flight to Cleveland.

After undergoing six chemotherapy treatments, Lester was declared cancer-free in December. The Red Sox, respecting what he had gone through, brought Lester along slowly in Spring Training and let him pitch in the Minor Leagues for the first three and a half months of this season.

"There's a lot of excitement," Lester said. "It will be a little surreal, but I'm going to enjoy it."

So will his teammates, his manager and the entire Red Sox organization.

"He's healthy. He's been through a lot. I'm sure it's going to be an emotional day for his family and for us," said Red Sox right-hander Curt Schilling. "He's part of the family. To see him go through what he went through and to come out on top, it's going to be exciting."

"You know, we want to win games so bad. But I can't sit here and tell you there won't be some emotion involved when he gets to take the mound," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "I think his folks are going to be there, which, I'm sure for them will be extra special. I think, talking to Jon, he just wants to win the game." .....

Okay...never, ever say that when the season is still going on. A Red Sox fan should know that. :big:

Trust me, if this was before 2004 - I'd be right there with you.

Lester looked great last night. Still had some of the rookie in him but even with last year thats to be expected.

How about Coco though?!? I had to add him to my fantasy team this morning.

Trust me, if this was before 2004 - I'd be right there with you.

Lester looked great last night. Still had some of the rookie in him but even with last year thats to be expected.

How about Coco though?!? I had to add him to my fantasy team this morning.

I wouldn't do that. Coco is a streaky hitter. I still wish they'd move that kid up from the minor leagues that played around the fourth, Jacoby Ellsbury or something like that.

Lester looked good, especially working out of a few jams.

Being a Red Sox fan every since I can remember, I still hold to a lot the superstitions I had before 2004. I am actually like that with all the teams I support. I even get on AU fans when they start talking MNC when the season is still going on. You are talking to a guy that has worn the same AU hat for every game for the last 15 years. I am only this superstitious when it comes to sports, otherwise I don't believe in stuff like black cats, broken mirrors, walking under ladders, etc. :lol:

Lester did look good last night, especially given the fact that the Indians have a strong offense. It did help that we jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning, so that probably gave Lester a little more confidence. It was pretty dang awesome to see himself work out of that jam in the 4th inning.I figured he would not go past 5 innings, not matter how well the game was going, so I was surprised to see him back on the mound in the 6th.

Well im in desperate need of a temp OF so Coco makes sense, even if he slumps - i have no better option right now.

Archived