Burton Scott to Bama

metafour

Fourth, Saban was on vacation two weeks ago, not last week. His vacation (AT HIS VACATION HOME) was cut short when Deaderick got arrested.

:roflol::lol::roflol:

Yeah, we all know how fast he took action to discipline those boys.

It happened so fast even their own players (Simien) missed what the punishment was.

:lol::lol:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, we all know how fast he took action to discipline those boys.

It happened so fast even their own players (Simien) missed what the punishment was.

Don't we already have like 9 threads about that?

Yes, and they are all very funny.

:lol::lol:

Go Braves.

Do you think they have a chance in the wild card race?

;)

I will say, the 09 comments about AJ and Nico were dead on. Not because of the heat created by a new coach, but because these guys are Bama lifers.

AU will still get theirs. There's plenty to go around. Even if we get Devonta, AU will still outrank us in the state of Georgia. They've made too many inroads with high school coaches there.

I do think there will be a shift in the state of Alabama.

The comment about Melvin Ray not having a solid offer from UF and FSU is a joke. A freaking JOKE.

Yet again you say we get a guy who's "overrated". At the end of the day, they can't all be overrated.

You won the instate recruiting war with Shula every year but one, so how does this make a difference?

You won the instate recruiting war with Shula every year but one, so how does this make a difference?

I think LSU and Auburn's footprint in Mobile will be lighter.

First off, you guys know I never dump on Auburn, or any other school, when it's not justified. I've been a poster here for a pretty long time and if you'll check my December posts, you'll see that I'm as objective as it gets when it comes to my team.

With that said, I'd be pretty worried if I were you. Alabama's own track to take #1 ranked player in Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisiana. That's in addition to signing 16-18 of the top talent in Alabama and picking a very, very nice crop from Louisiana and Florida.

Does it get any better for Auburn in 2009? It's not looking like it -- with Nico Johnson, AJ McCarron, and Tana Patrick already considered locks for UA. The true recruiting maniacs have said that the discrepancy between the classes of Alabama and Auburn in 2009 could be as bad as 2008. My question is, where will Auburn find their talent? I realize that Auburn has always found quality players in Georgia and Florida, yet, that's not your state. UF and FSU control most of that state's recruits. The always solid UGA Bulldogs will get first dibs to the east of you. And, strangely enough, Orgeron has proven to be a strong recruiter and if you're ever competing with Mississippi State for recruits... well, you know the trouble you'd be in. Where will your players come from with Alabama holding a stronghold in this state and UF/UGA/UT controlling theirs? That's not even touching on the fact that 2/3's of your last class didn't qualify.

Will Alabama be world beaters in 2008? I seriously doubt it. Don't think I'm coming here to proclaim us as automatic national title contenders. Saban's accomplishments on the recruiting trail won't be evident for a year or so. If we win eight or more, I'll consider it a success.

Again, don't think I'm posting this to belittle you guys. Over the past 5 years, you all, for the most part, have been good winners and I appreciate that.

my question is, how about we let february get here before you start talking about finalized recruiting rankings, bammer? and already sh***ing on our 2009 class? tsk tsk. you think we're gonna roll over and let you chumps just have it again, you're out of your mind. don't come in here and run off with some crap like that and try and preface it with how you're not trying to belittle anyone. the nerve you've got after licking our boots for 5 straight years to come in here with a condescending attitude is absolutely tremendous.

i will totally give you guys credit for the talent you're raking in this early in the game, but you better believe our coaches aren't sitting on their thumbs just letting all the players we want go to the pink wave. let's let this season pan out before you come in here and tell somebody to be afraid again. i was honestly trying to dissuade my peers from playing the sour grapes game, but you've just cancelled out any good will your kind deserves with this self-fellating garbage.

you haven't won a damn thing yet.

Fmnstr, chill out, man. There's nothing biased or condescending about me. I was very frustrated with UA in December for what I then perceived to be a botched situation. I called us out on here many times. If you just think that I'm just one "Bammer" thinking AU will have a rough go then you're sadly mistaken. Go to almost any board and you'll find topics about the strength of our class and the weakness of yours.

About your coaches not "sitting on their thumbs", it's not really in their control. There's a monster in this state that they're struggling to compete with. I know you may not like him, but that's the new reality. Like I said before, the effects of this tsunami are being felt in another states, as well.

metafour:

Dont get too ahead of yourself. None of your current commits have signed, and apart from guys like Love and Boswell (who are lifelong Bama kids that would sign with Bama no matter what) everyone else commited under the notion that Saban would bring Bama back into the limelight. A highly regarded coach + the notion that you'll be able to get early playing time for a traditional football powerhouse is a pretty nice recipe for attracting HS kids. Saban will likely kick 90% of Shula's recruits to the curb if it means attracting HIS new recruits to Bama. If you want another example of this just look at what Butch Davis did at North Carolina this past signing class, or what Ron Zook did at Illinois. The problem? You put yourself in a large amount of pressure to win...because thats all thats keeping these kids committed. Even you yourself admitted that you dont expect Bama to blow up this season....but what if you fall on your faces?? Dont think that recruits who are right now drugged up on the "shiny new toy" factor wont notice if Saban starts looking like anything other than a god. Sure, your 2008 class might stay largely in tact, but I'd say you're getting FAR ahead of yourself by talking '09 recruits who are a loong way away. These recruits are expecting a complete turn around overnight...what if you lose again to us (which I expect will happen)? 17 and 18 year old kids can get off the banwagon as fast as they get on. Saban's early recruiting so far has been impressive (although I believe that several of your instate commits are overrated and didn't even get Auburn offers) but you havn't even played one game with him at the helm so right now you're selling the "could be" factor.

As for the "where will Auburn get recruits from..." question...thats pretty easy. Florida, Miami, and FSU control Florida's biggest talent pool. However, that state is far too stacked every year for every good player to end up at one of the big three schools...especially considering that Florida and FSU are recruiting nationally as well and aren't sticking to just in-state kids. That means that every year there is a nice handful of VERY GOOD (ie: 4-star) recruits who wont get into one of the big 3 schools. Want an example? Look at Melvin Ray who just commited to you. I know that you all believe you "stole" this kid away from FSU (kinda like how you "stole" Luther Davis last year rolleyes.gif ) but the truth is that neither FSU nor Florida were willing to take his commitment at this time. FSU has been holding Ray back for so long that he probably got tired of waiting and decided to jump on the Saban bandwagon. Why would FSU be holding him back? They're eyeing Butler, Walker, and Jones who they have ranked higher on their board (and rightfully so). FSU has a very good shot with both Butler and Walker, but I'd look out if they lose one or both of those two: Melvin Ray might end up getting a call. After that you've also got an infinite amount of underhyped recruits with big upside who flat out slip through the cracks in a huge pool of talent. We'll ALWAYS be able to land a few 4-star guys from Florida and find a few underhyped guys that no one else picked out as long as we continue to field a competitive team. This staff has FAR too many connections in Florida to get booted out of that state...period. The same thing can be said with Georgia: We get a few bigger name recruits (but usually miss out on the huge name guys) and then pick up a few guys no one else wanted (Brad Lester anyone?). This staff is retardedly good at sniffing out underhyped players from within our recruiting zone.

What I haven't understood about the past couple of years is that Shula wasn't able to control the state in recruiting. Our facilities are as good or better than anyones and we'd have the selling point of "compete early." I will tell you that our entire coaching staff sucked eggs when it came to recruiting. Yet, isn't that obvious anyway. Example: If you're 18 yrs old, who do you want to visit with, Dave Rader or Major Applewhite? Fairly easy... It's not all Saban. We lose 4-5 games this year and it's almost expected... Yet, it's still "compete now." That will still remain true, especially at the skill positions.

I'm very leery of your second paragraph. I'm not trying to be a prick, but if that scenario plays out, it certainly won't be good for AU. Basically... you think that we'll get our picks and then AU will come in and clean up the unheralded, yet good, players... getting a few 4 star commits from FL in addition to your 2-3 star talent from Alabama. How many 3 stars turn out to be game changing players? Few. Yes, there are some diamonds in the rough -- DeMeco Ryans, Brad Lester, Tyrone Prothro. Yet, the recruiting analysts usually peg it with the 4 and 5 star players. You could reap the benefits by signing a 2 star guy, but you would likely see him on special teams for the next 4 years. It's hard to overcome not having a 38 inch vertical and 4.5 speed.

As for Melvin Ray, he had offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, LSU, Miami, and Tennessee. He's 6'2" and runs a 4.5. Check out his video if you still have your doubts...

I will say, the 09 comments about AJ and Nico were dead on. Not because of the heat created by a new coach, but because these guys are Bama lifers.

AU will still get theirs. There's plenty to go around. Even if we get Devonta, AU will still outrank us in the state of Georgia. They've made too many inroads with high school coaches there.

The comment about Melvin Ray not having a solid offer from UF and FSU is a joke. A freaking JOKE.

Yet again you say we get a guy who's "overrated". At the end of the day, they can't all be overrated.

Because even if we did, it was by a recruit or two who might have not even panned out. I don't even know that we "won", but even if we did... it wasn't much more than a draw.

Saban's batting .1000 in Alabama. Bear Bryant didn't even do that.

Because even if we did, it was by a recruit or two who might have not even panned out. I don't even know that we "won", but even if we did... it wasn't much more than a draw.

Pretty stupid comment to make with McClain and Harris still on the board and 60% of players that commit before Sept. 1 never sign with that team.

First off, you guys know I never dump on Auburn, or any other school, when it's not justified. I've been a poster here for a pretty long time and if you'll check my December posts, you'll see that I'm as objective as it gets when it comes to my team.

With that said, I'd be pretty worried if I were you. Alabama's own track to take #1 ranked player in Alabama, Tennessee, and Louisiana. That's in addition to signing 16-18 of the top talent in Alabama and picking a very, very nice crop from Louisiana and Florida.

Does it get any better for Auburn in 2009? It's not looking like it -- with Nico Johnson, AJ McCarron, and Tana Patrick already considered locks for UA. The true recruiting maniacs have said that the discrepancy between the classes of Alabama and Auburn in 2009 could be as bad as 2008. My question is, where will Auburn find their talent? I realize that Auburn has always found quality players in Georgia and Florida, yet, that's not your state. UF and FSU control most of that state's recruits. The always solid UGA Bulldogs will get first dibs to the east of you. And, strangely enough, Orgeron has proven to be a strong recruiter and if you're ever competing with Mississippi State for recruits... well, you know the trouble you'd be in. Where will your players come from with Alabama holding a stronghold in this state and UF/UGA/UT controlling theirs? That's not even touching on the fact that 2/3's of your last class didn't qualify.

Will Alabama be world beaters in 2008? I seriously doubt it. Don't think I'm coming here to proclaim us as automatic national title contenders. Saban's accomplishments on the recruiting trail won't be evident for a year or so. If we win eight or more, I'll consider it a success.

Again, don't think I'm posting this to belittle you guys. Over the past 5 years, you all, for the most part, have been good winners and I appreciate that.

my question is, how about we let february get here before you start talking about finalized recruiting rankings, bammer? and already sh***ing on our 2009 class? tsk tsk. you think we're gonna roll over and let you chumps just have it again, you're out of your mind. don't come in here and run off with some crap like that and try and preface it with how you're not trying to belittle anyone. the nerve you've got after licking our boots for 5 straight years to come in here with a condescending attitude is absolutely tremendous.

i will totally give you guys credit for the talent you're raking in this early in the game, but you better believe our coaches aren't sitting on their thumbs just letting all the players we want go to the pink wave. let's let this season pan out before you come in here and tell somebody to be afraid again. i was honestly trying to dissuade my peers from playing the sour grapes game, but you've just cancelled out any good will your kind deserves with this self-fellating garbage.

Fmnstr, chill out, man. There's nothing biased or condescending about me. I was very frustrated with UA in December for what I then perceived to be a botched situation. I called us out on here many times. If you just think that I'm just one "Bammer" thinking AU will have a rough go then you're sadly mistaken. Go to almost any board and you'll find topics about the strength of our class and the weakness of yours.

About your coaches not "sitting on their thumbs", it's not really in their control. There's a monster in this state that they're struggling to compete with. I know you may not like him, but that's the new reality. Like I said before, the effects of this tsunami are being felt in another states, as well.

bud, my point is that you're in here telling people to be afraid of this "monster" and "tsunami" (absolutely HILARIOUS metaphors, by the way), and you haven't even done anything of merit yet. if nothing changes, this class is going to be dynamite, i will agree, but i don't want to hear about how we need to be afraid of how we're going to recruit in 2008 or 2009. i know there are tons of people thinking we've gone belly up, but that just makes it flat-out obvious that no one in the college football world has a GD life this summer. it's JULY, folks. this time last year, lee ziemba was a lock to notre dame. things happen. these kids haven't even played their senior seasons yet. by the by, have you looked at florida's commit list? you really think auburn needs to be afraid when the reigning national champion only has 4 commits at this point? you've jumped the gun so hard on this one it hurts. once again, it's JULY.

the trend of early commits to bama is a little bizarre, but you and i both know precisely why it's happening. saban is a brand new attraction in the bammer theme park right now. you're being absolutely delusional if you think that's going to be a permanent thing and we aren't going to get players just fine, this year and beyond.

i'll just say this - i really hope you're half-joking with that last paragraph, because it makes you sound like an idiot. it's not in our coaches' control whether or not we get the recruits we want? are you ****ing kidding me? have you been hiding under a rock the last few years?

Pretty stupid comment to make with McClain and Harris still on the board and 60% of players that commit before Sept. 1 never sign with that team.

McClain and Harris are still out there, yes. But I've heard from credible sources that I shouldn't be worried about them. William Green, lifelong AU fan, will be committing to Bama within the next 2 weeks and possibly even sooner. The St. Pauls crew is a lock, as well.

bud, my point is that you're in here telling people to be afraid of this "monster" and "tsunami" (absolutely HILARIOUS metaphors, by the way), and you haven't even done anything of merit yet. if nothing changes, this class is going to be dynamite, i will agree, but i don't want to hear about how we need to be afraid of how we're going to recruit in 2008 or 2009. i know there are tons of people thinking we've gone belly up, but that just makes it flat-out obvious that no one in the college football world has a GD life this summer. it's JULY, folks. this time last year, lee ziemba was a lock to notre dame. things happen. these kids haven't even played their senior seasons yet. by the by, have you looked at florida's commit list? you really think auburn needs to be afraid when the reigning national champion only has 4 commits at this point? you've jumped the gun so hard on this one it hurts. once again, it's JULY.

the trend of early commits to bama is a little bizarre, but you and i both know precisely why it's happening. saban is a brand new attraction in the bammer theme park right now. you're being absolutely delusional if you think that's going to be a permanent thing and we aren't going to get players just fine, this year and beyond.

i'll just say this - i really hope you're half-joking with that last paragraph, because it makes you sound like an idiot. it's not in our coaches' control whether or not we get the recruits we want? are you ****ing kidding me? have you been hiding under a rock the last few years?

I think we're doing something of merit right now. MSU has an Alabama commitment, does AU? If you're not going to get any kids from your own state, then how will you be able to go into other state's and get their talent? Auburn is like the United Nations right now... they are their own territory. But, don't tell Dee Finley that as he'll disagree with you.

As for UF, they'll pick it up. Your sadly mistaken if you try to link AU and UF together, though. See, FSU and Miami aren't taking ALL the sought after prospects in their state. They're still open for the taking. In your situation, all the prospects are committing to the other in-state school... As you know, there's not near the talent numbers-wise in Alabama in comparison to Florida. The UF argument you tried to make holds zero water... They'll go to Ohio or Pennsylvania and find quality players if they have to. Auburn isn't that lucky.

No, I wasn't joking with my last paragraph. Prove me wrong. Show me where you will be able to compete with Alabama if there are no/few quality players for you to sign.

Picture this -- You get in your shower and try to turn on the water, yet, nothing comes out. Why? That bastage Saban has come through your front yard and cut the water off. You can't get wet without water. You can't win without quality talent. It's that simple.

You say it's not February? Here, allow me to make it February... Don't forget your jacket. It's cold out there.

4tizpzc.jpg

McClain and Harris are still out there, yes. But I've heard from credible sources that I shouldn't be worried about them. William Green, lifelong AU fan, will be committing to Bama within the next 2 weeks and possibly even sooner. The St. Pauls crew is a lock, as well.

Well your source must be a strong kool-aid drinker. I'll put my info up against yours any day. William Green is the only one out of the three you mentioned that I don't think signs with us.

Contraire to the rumors, the REC hasn't bought Harris. B)

I think we're doing something of merit right now. MSU has an Alabama commitment, does AU? If you're not going to get any kids from your own state, then how will you be able to go into other state's and get their talent? Auburn is like the United Nations right now... they are their own territory. But, don't tell Dee Finley that as he'll disagree with you.

As for UF, they'll pick it up. Your sadly mistaken if you try to link AU and UF together, though. See, FSU and Miami aren't taking ALL the sought after prospects in their state. They're still open for the taking. In your situation, all the prospects are committing to the other in-state school... As you know, there's not near the talent numbers-wise in Alabama in comparison to Florida. The UF argument you tried to make holds zero water... They'll go to Ohio or Pennsylvania and find quality players if they have to. Auburn isn't that lucky.

No, I wasn't joking with my last paragraph. Prove me wrong. Show me where you will be able to compete with Alabama if there are no/few quality players for you to sign.

Picture this -- You get in your shower and try to turn on the water, yet, nothing comes out. Why? That bastage Saban has come through your front yard and cut the water off. You can't get wet without water. You can't win without quality talent. It's that simple.

You say it's not February? Here, allow me to make it February... Don't forget your jacket. It's cold out there.

4tizpzc.jpg

alright, buddy. you're way the hell out of line, but i'm gonna let you gloat, since that's what you wanted to do in the first place. congratulations on beating the world in early recruiting commitments. if you're too blinded by this recent success to see that auburn is still a vastly superior team and will have absolutely no trouble finding commits, i don't think we need to have this conversation.

Chea Chea.

Save BG the trouble ;)

Lemme guess, he's overrated?

Nope, we wanted him as a DB and he wants to play WR.

Do you think that was the deal breaker?? and why are AU not recruiting him as a WR, are you guys in the chase for a way better WRs this year? I am asking because I thought someone here mentioned that AU needs to sign 4-5 WRs this year??

Maybe we do, maybe we don't. But if you really don't think a guy's future is at WR or if you don't think he would be the kind of WR that works best in your system, why would you recruit him for that purpose or lie to him just to get him in? I remember Karlos Dansby saying he wanted to be a WR in college too. The Auburn coaches told him that long term he would be better at LB or possibly safety, but if he insisted, they'd let him try out for WR. Dansby learned pretty quickly once in camp that he wasn't built to be a WR at the college level. The several million dollars in his bank account right now say that was an astute evaluation by the AU coaching staff.

That doesn't mean they are infallible and Scott can't be a good WR in the SEC. You don't get it right every time. But if that's truly how our coaches feel about him (that he'd be an excellent DB rather than WR), then possible needs at WR shouldn't change their mind.

Thats what I've heard from more than one source, and it makes sense. Ray is/was 4th on FSU's WR board, behind Commack (already commited), Jones, Walker, and Butler. They have good to very good chances to land both Butler and Walker (who are both superior to Ray)...why scare them off by letting Ray commit? Ray has tried to commit to FSU several times, but each time he was told to wait. He got tired of waiting and decided to verbal to the team which could offer him the most early PT.

4tizpzc.jpg

alright, buddy. you're way the hell out of line, but i'm gonna let you gloat, since that's what you wanted to do in the first place. congratulations on beating the world in early recruiting commitments. if you're too blinded by this recent success to see that auburn is still a vastly superior team and will have absolutely no trouble finding commits, i don't think we need to have this conversation.

I disagree. That's okay, though.

I do agree that Auburn is, at the moment, a superior team. I think you'll beat us this season.

Yet, I do think you'll go through tough times in trying to find quality players to sign. Quality >> Quanity. I'm not doubting that you'll sign a full class.

William Green, lifelong AU fan, will be committing to Bama within the next 2 weeks and possibly even sooner.

Complete BS. Green is a Bama fan which is why he's so keen on commiting to a school that already has 3 if not 4 DE commits. No lifelong AU fan would commit to Bama under those circumstances, no matter who the coach was.

I do agree that Auburn is, at the moment, a superior team. I think you'll beat us this season.

Yet, I do think you'll go through tough times in trying to find quality players to sign. Quality >> Quanity. I'm not doubting that you'll sign a full class.

you could be right, but at the moment, you're just hoping. let's see how it pans out. i'm not above admitting that bammer will probably outshine us in recruiting this year, but one class does not a winning team make. we have several waiting on you. let's talk again in february.

Guest Tigrinum Major

How would you know? His last recruiting class was about 5 years before you were born.

You're missing a "t".

How would you know? His last recruiting class was about 5 years before you were born.

You're missing a "t".

you mean in his DNA sequence, right?

The "poin" remains the same...

Your team is the new Moe Greene, Vito. Currently powerful and tough talking, but the Corleones are back in town.

Since I got us off the subject, does anyone notice a resemblance? It just occurred to me. Especially through the eyes.

I think Saban is Croatian? That may explain it.

1061575481_r-2-photo1.jpgfbc_ala_nick_saban_010407_164w.jpg

Since I got us off the subject, does anyone notice a resemblance? It just occurred to me. Especially through the eyes.

I think Saban is Croatian? That may explain it.

1061575481_r-2-photo1.jpgfbc_ala_nick_saban_010407_164w.jpg

Yeah and Al Pacino played the legendary coach in Any Given Sunday who bolted to the next best opportunity while also stealing the best player for himself.

Will we see that similarity as well?

Archived