Hood Commits

RunInRed

Per Rivals, D'Antoine Hood, cornerback from Phenix City, AL has committed to Auburn.

Ht: 5-foot-9

Wt: 185 lbs

Forty: 4.45 secs

Bench max: 310 pounds

Squat max: 425 pounds

Vertical: 36 inches

5"9 CBs....oh boy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Rivals, D'Antoine Hood, cornerback from Phenix City, AL has committed to Auburn.

Ht: 5-foot-9

Wt: 185 lbs

Forty: 4.45 secs

Bench max: 310 pounds

Squat max: 425 pounds

Vertical: 36 inches

5"9 CBs....oh boy

Yeah no kidding.........5'9"? Come on, here's a thought, lets ink a WR that is 6'3 or 6'4 that can Haul A** and is the athletic BBall type. The coaches can teach a kid to swivel his hips. I hope he knows how to Turn Around.

The best Auburn DB is Powers, and he's 5'9". Sure he didn't turn around for the ball in the LSU game, but he was step for step with the dude, and is a more than capable corner.

I don't recall hearing so much disappointment in a commitment.

I saw the 5'9 from Phenix City and didn't get thrilled either. But we have had a history of short Corners. Looks like he has good speed. Maybe he can chase down receivers and just force the receiver to make a good play on a perfectly thrown ball. Just like in the LSU game...

He's working on his vertical and plans on topping out about 50". He looks really solid... might be able to hit hard enough to separate WR's from their shoes and the ball.

I was reading some stuff on Rivals about him... seems solid. But he did say that he got the offer during the game last night. Isn't that during the dead period? It would only be a secondary offense, but I haven't heard much else about it.

Super-steal, this guy is a stud, 5-star talent...

J/K (that was for you BG) ;)

Hood is a bit short but he can play. He is very athletic and as you can see by the picture he is definitely put together. He was very good at the AL/MS All-Star game.

The best Auburn DB is Powers, and he's 5'9". Sure he didn't turn around for the ball in the LSU game, but he was step for step with the dude, and is a more than capable corner.

And Powers isnt even 5'9. I played against the guy and have been around him a lot. Im not even 5'8 and hes no taller than me.

Corners are always gonna be short. They have to be quicker and faster than any receiver because they have to read the move then react to it and gain ground.

I was reading some stuff on Rivals about him... seems solid. But he did say that he got the offer during the game last night. Isn't that during the dead period? It would only be a secondary offense, but I haven't heard much else about it.

Is he Blake Field's replacement?

Violations not withstanding what does that say about our current recruiting situation if we are offering guys this late?

Maybe the mail was slow... B)

This is a bit of an aside but did anyone see that LSU DB play that ball perfectly last night...Turned around exactly at the right time and the ball fell into his arms. I hope that tape is show to all Auburn db's in the off season. We gave up too many tds and big this year when we were in great position to make plays b/c our dad gum db's didn't know when to look back for the ball.

This is a bit of an aside but did anyone see that LSU DB play that ball perfectly last night...Turned around exactly at the right time and the ball fell into his arms. I hope that tape is show to all Auburn db's in the off season. We gave up too many tds and big this year when we were in great position to make plays b/c our dad gum db's didn't know weren't taught when to look back for the ball.

Now I agree with you 100% and it is a great point.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/story/216905.html

Hood commits to Tigers

Central standout could also be kick returner for AU

BY ROBERT SPRUCK - rspruck@ledger-enquirer.com --

Central-Phenix City's D'Antoine Hood attended two Auburn summer football camps before his senior year, hoping to catch the attention of the Auburn coaches.

Hood, a 5-foot-9, 185-pound defensive back, had a good showing during both camps and remained in contact with the Auburn coaches. Despite that, Hood still didn't have an offer from Auburn at the end of the Red Devils' season.

He finally received that offer Monday night and verbally committed to Tigers later in the evening, becoming the 19th player in Auburn's recruiting class.

"It's really exciting, and I was a little shocked when they first offered," Hood said Tuesday. "It's always been my dream to play for Auburn. It's the right choice for me, and I can't wait to get there."

Hood put together a solid season for the Red Devils this fall, recording 36 tackles and making an interception. He also showed his athletic ability as a kick returner. He averaged 26.7 yards per return and had two kick returns for a touchdown.

Central coach Ron Nelson was excited that Hood, who also was considering Georgia Southern, has the opportunity to continue his career.

"This has been something that he has wanted, and he's been able to fulfill his dream," Nelson said. "It's a great accomplishment. He really caught the eye of the Auburn coaches this summer."

Nelson knows that attending those camps give the coaches the chance to watch the players in person.

"I really believe it helps," he said. "It's two or three days that the coaches can watch the players and work with them."

Nelson was worried about Hood's chances of going to Auburn after defensive coordinator Will Muschamp left to become the Texas defensive coordinator last week. Muschamp was the one handling Hood's recruitment, but linebackers coach James Willis offered Hood on Monday night.

Hood becomes the fourth Bi-City player to verbally commit to a Division I school, and the third to commit to the Tigers. The Carver tandem of quarterback DeRon Furr and wide receiver Jarmon Fortson have committed to Auburn.

Furr is trying to enroll early at Auburn, but had yet to as of Tuesday afternoon -- the first day of the spring semester. At the latest, he expects to know whether he'll enroll early next week.

Furr and Fortson helped guide Carver to a 15-0 record and the school's first state championship with a 16-13 come-from-behind win against Cairo in the Class AAA final.

Pacelli running back Jacquise Terry has committed to Kent State.

Verbal commitments are non-binding. National signing day is Feb. 6.

Contact Robert Spruck at 706-576-6230

He's working on his vertical and plans on topping out about 50". He looks really solid... might be able to hit hard enough to separate WR's from their shoes and the ball.

Did you just say the dudes verticle jump will top out at 50".....ummmm, no. I believe that as much as I believe JJ can squat 500 lbs.

I like guys who have always wanted to be an Auburn Tiger. You know their heart is in the right place. Plus he shares the late development genes with Hood.

I may be way behind, but is D'Antoine kin to Roderick Hood? If I remember correctly, Roderick was from Columbus somehwere.

Archived