10k+ Rally for Obama in Birmingham

RunInRed

More details and pics to come...for now, this from al.com:

blog-header.jpg

More than 10,000 people are in and right outside UAB's Bartow Arena awaiting an appearance by presidential candidate Barack Obama, authorities working the event said.

It's a raucous crowd in the arena. Just about every seat is taken and music is blaring as people stream in just before the scheduled 2 p.m. speech.

The crowd mirrors the trend that has characterized Obama's campaign. Supporters are black, white, witnesses to the civil rights movement, and college students who can barely remember a White House without a Clinton or Bush.

"I think it speaks for the country that we are ready for a different kind of leader," said Stephanie Doss, 22, of Birmingham.

More details and pics to come...for now, this from al.com:

blog-header.jpg

More than 10,000 people are in and right outside UAB's Bartow Arena awaiting an appearance by presidential candidate Barack Obama, authorities working the event said.

It's a raucous crowd in the arena. Just about every seat is taken and music is blaring as people stream in just before the scheduled 2 p.m. speech.

The crowd mirrors the trend that has characterized Obama's campaign. Supporters are black, white, witnesses to the civil rights movement, and college students who can barely remember a White House without a Clinton or Bush.

"I think it speaks for the country that we are ready for a different kind of leader," said Stephanie Doss, 22, of Birmingham.

43 yrs later, you'd think the blacks would have gotten use to voting. Guess not.

43 yrs later, you'd think the blacks would have gotten use to voting. Guess not.

What?! :blink:

It's as if they're perpetually reliving the Civil Right's march. I'm not saying we should forget, but god almighty, Barack didn't have thing to do w/ those times, why interject that here ?

It's as if they're perpetually reliving the Civil Right's march. I'm not saying we should forget, but god almighty, Barack didn't have thing to do w/ those times, why interject that here ?

The writer is trying to convey to the reader the breadth of the crowd.

Not sure why that should work you up so much.

You continue to amaze me at every turn.

The author was simply showing that a black candidate was able to appeal to all people whether they were white, black, witnesses to civil rights(read "old") and college students(read "young")

You have the logic ability of an 8 year old.

The author was simply showing that a black candidate was able to appeal to all people whether they were white, black, witnesses to civil rights(read "old") and college students(read "young")

Yeah. Just like in SC. The percentage is just overwhelmingly equal. The sad part is that most of them are there BECAUSE he is black. Many have no idea that he has absolutely no record to fall back on. Change for the sake of change is not always the prudent course of action.

Yeah. Just like in SC. The percentage is just overwhelmingly equal. The sad part is that most of them are there BECAUSE he is black. Many have no idea that he has absolutely no record to fall back on. Change for the sake of change is not always the prudent course of action.

How do you know why people are supporting Obama? I really hope you are not putting forth the view point that the only reason people are supporting Obama is because he's black. If so, that really speaks volumes about your ability to understand what is happening and about the current state of politics in this country. And for the record, I believe Obama won in Iowa where 97% or so of the voters are white, came in a close second in NH where the majority of the voters are white and basically split the white vote in SC with Clinton and Edwards. Obama has a broad base of support that not only crosses racial lines but also gender and some political lines. Ch ch ch change is coming :) We are ALL Americans!

How do you know why people are supporting Obama? I really hope you are not putting forth the view point that the only reason people are supporting Obama is because he's black. If so, that really speaks volumes about your ability to understand what is happening and about the current state of politics in this country. And for the record, I believe Obama won in Iowa where 97% or so of the voters are white, came in a close second in NH where the majority of the voters are white and basically split the white vote in SC with Clinton and Edwards. Obama has a broad base of support that not only crosses racial lines but also gender and some political lines. Ch ch ch change is coming :) We are ALL Americans!

Nice skirt job. What was the percentage of BLACK voters in SC?

There are people who see things how they are and there are people who see things how they want to see them. The primary and caucuses results by demographics so far can be found here:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries...andidates/#1918

There are people who see things how they are and there are people who see things how they want to see them. The primary and caucuses results by demographics so far can be found here:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries...andidates/#1918

What percentage of blacks in each of those states voted Obama? And of the percentage that did, do you really think it was for his record? It was an easy choice for most.

And of the percentage that did, do you really think it was for his record? It was an easy choice for most.

Why does it matter to you?

I don't care what sex, race, age the candidate is. What I do care about is substance in the message. You can say CHANGE all you want, but when there isn't any substance to back it up the point is meaningless. Obama is just another politician who has gotten fat in Washington while doing nothing. Yes..he is outgoing, but please look a little deeper before we are in a much bigger mess than we are in now.

I don't get what you're asking CCTAU. In SC he gained 24% of the white vote and Clinton and Edwards split the rest roughly (about 37% apiece). Do you think all those white voters that are inclined to vote for Dems are going to jump to the GOP or something? Sure, in the SC primary about 50% of primary voters were black. But that only made it a rout. It didn't necessarily change the outcome.

I don't get what you're asking CCTAU. In SC he gained 24% of the white vote and Clinton and Edwards split the rest roughly (about 37% apiece). Do you think all those white voters that are inclined to vote for Dems are going to jump to the GOP or something? Sure, in the SC primary about 50% of primary voters were black. But that only made it a rout. It didn't necessarily change the outcome.

He is trying to advance the belief that the only reason people are voting for Obama is because he is black.

Speaks volumes about CCTAU.

The writer is trying to convey to the reader the breadth of the crowd.

Not sure why that should work you up so much.

Seems to me the writer is trying to over dramaticize this is all. Not worked up so much, to be honest.

He is trying to advance the belief that the only reason people are voting for Obama is because he is black.

Oh yeah. It's not like EVERY news outlet in the country is asking the same question. It's the same as the idiot woman saying she will vote for hitlary because she is a woman. I do not care if every black in America votes for him. I was just pointing out that it seems to be he has most of the black vote sewed up due the fact that he is black. The Clintaxes pushed the issue. Now it's biting them in the ass. But if you don't think that the black folks are voting for him because he is black, you have no idea of how the south works.

Oh yeah. It's not like EVERY news outlet in the country is asking the same question. It's the same as the idiot woman saying she will vote for hitlary because she is a woman. I do not care if every black in America votes for him. I was just pointing out that it seems to be he has most of the black vote sewed up due the fact that he is black. The Clintaxes pushed the issue. Now it's biting them in the ass. But if you don't think that the black folks are voting for him because he is black, you have no idea of how the south works.

Why does this matter to you?

However, what's interesting is that early on, Obama wasn't polling that well, or at least not nearly as well as one would expect, among black Democrats. They were split between him and Hillary. It wasn't until an overwhelmingly white state in Iowa gave him his first victory and another overwhelmingly white state in NH gave him a very close second that blacks started backing him. Why? Because they didn't think he could win. They didn't believe that white folks would vote for him so they didn't want to waste their hopes and votes on the guy.

Once he demonstrated the ability to draw across racial lines, they supported him big time. And sure it's because he's black, but it's not JUST because he's black. It's because they see him as inspiring and as a candidate that can actually win. This isn't a Sharpton or Jesse Jackson candidacy. Those morons never had a chance.

However, what's interesting is that early on, Obama wasn't polling that well, or at least not nearly as well as one would expect, among black Democrats. They were split between him and Hillary. It wasn't until an overwhelmingly white state in Iowa gave him his first victory and another overwhelmingly white state in NH gave him a very close second that blacks started backing him. Why? Because they didn't think he could win. They didn't believe that white folks would vote for him so they didn't want to waste their hopes and votes on the guy.

Once he demonstrated the ability to draw across racial lines, they supported him big time. And sure it's because he's black, but it's not JUST because he's black. It's because they see him as inspiring and as a candidate that can actually win. This isn't a Sharpton or Jesse Jackson candidacy. Those morons never had a chance.

Well said.

Let me state again.

I do not care if every black in America votes for him. I was just pointing out that it seems to be he has most of the black vote sewed up due the fact that he is black.

I find it sad that there are folks in our country who would vote for a person because of gender or race. And if I feel that it matters to me, I am free to state it. Don't like it? Ignore it. But don't try to deny that it exists.

I would venture to say that the black folks in SC got a little upset when the clintaxes kept forcing the race issue. Whatever they were trying to prove, it backfired on them.

I'm not sure the white folks voting for him are so much for him as they are against hitlary. Either way, he is seen as a viable candidate regardless of race.

I don't think you have a huge number of anti-Hillary folks in the Democratic party. Sure there are some, but most of that tribe resides in the GOP or independent voters.

Let me state again.

I do not care if every black in America votes for him. I was just pointing out that it seems to be he has most of the black vote sewed up due the fact that he is black.

I find it sad that there are folks in our country who would vote for a person because of gender or race. And if I feel that it matters to me, I am free to state it. Don't like it? Ignore it. But don't try to deny that it exists.

I would venture to say that the black folks in SC got a little upset when the clintaxes kept forcing the race issue. Whatever they were trying to prove, it backfired on them.

I'm not sure the white folks voting for him are so much for him as they are against hitlary. Either way, he is seen as a viable candidate regardless of race.

If what you say is true and they're just voting for him because he's black, without regard to his platform, then what makes you any different than them? Why is it any more sad to vote based on gender or race than it is to reject on the basis of religion? How is your bigotry more justified?

Please explain.

Archived