Looking like Kevin Steele to USA

TitanTiger

ok so ... I guess Kevin Steele is not done packing his stuff yet ... so you guys think he's leaving during the weekend I am assuming ..

i'll give it another day. I see how AUnation now is the only one that said Nick Saban would leave Miami. Did not you guys have that as a practical joke one day and made a big fuss about how delusional we are "ohh how quickly we forget". :roflol:

Anyways, back to my point, this highly reliable forum said Steele is leaving and I am waiting ... :roflol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
South still looking for first coach

Football search continuing as USA plans second interview with Birmingham-Southern's Jones

Friday, February 08, 2008

By KIM SHUGART

Sports Reporter

The search for the University of South Alabama's first head football coach will continue into next week, athletic director Joe Gottfried said Thursday.

Gottfried confirmed that the search committee plans to interview at least two more candidates, including Birmingham-Southern College head coach Joey Jones.

Jones, a Mobile native, had an initial interview last month in Birmingham. The former Murphy High School star played at Alabama (1980-1983) under Bear Bryant and Ray Perkins and has been the head coach at Birmingham-Southern for two years. He was hired in 2006 to rebuild a program that had not played collegiate football since 1939.

Jones was a very successful high school coach, compiling a 125-38 record in 13 years -- three at Dora and 10 at Mountain Brook -- before taking over at Birmingham-Southern. The former All-SEC wide receiver also played professionally with the USFL's Birmingham Stallions and NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

"We're going to bring Joey in for a second interview," Gottfried said. "When we started this process, we said there was the possibility we would bring three or four candidates on campus if necessary."

Jones will be the third candidate to receive a second interview. South Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney, who accepted and then turned down USA's offer last weekend, and Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele also had second interviews.

"We're continuing to talk with people," said Gottfried, indicating that there is still mutual interest between South Alabama and Steele. "Again, we're in no rush to find a coach. We've got to find a coach that will be the right fit and until we do we will keep looking."...

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/in....xml&coll=3

South still looking for first coach

Football search continuing as USA plans second interview with Birmingham-Southern's Jones

Friday, February 08, 2008

By KIM SHUGART

Sports Reporter

The search for the University of South Alabama's first head football coach will continue into next week, athletic director Joe Gottfried said Thursday.

Gottfried confirmed that the search committee plans to interview at least two more candidates, including Birmingham-Southern College head coach Joey Jones.

Jones, a Mobile native, had an initial interview last month in Birmingham. The former Murphy High School star played at Alabama (1980-1983) under Bear Bryant and Ray Perkins and has been the head coach at Birmingham-Southern for two years. He was hired in 2006 to rebuild a program that had not played collegiate football since 1939.

Jones was a very successful high school coach, compiling a 125-38 record in 13 years -- three at Dora and 10 at Mountain Brook -- before taking over at Birmingham-Southern. The former All-SEC wide receiver also played professionally with the USFL's Birmingham Stallions and NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

"We're going to bring Joey in for a second interview," Gottfried said. "When we started this process, we said there was the possibility we would bring three or four candidates on campus if necessary."

Jones will be the third candidate to receive a second interview. South Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney, who accepted and then turned down USA's offer last weekend, and Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele also had second interviews.

"We're continuing to talk with people," said Gottfried, indicating that there is still mutual interest between South Alabama and Steele. "Again, we're in no rush to find a coach. We've got to find a coach that will be the right fit and until we do we will keep looking."...

tick tock tick tock tick tock :poke:

I'd hate to see him go...but, if he does, at least we won't have the looming deadline of NSD over our heads to rush us into a new DC.

Hmmmmm, seems your tone is softening after reading Titan's post.

I'd hate to see him go...but, if he does, at least we won't have the looming deadline of NSD over our heads to rush us into a new DC.

'

I don't think I've ever said it's not in the realm of possibility. If I have...well...oops.

The Bunker just went on a frenzy about some video being passed around. A lot of people hinted that it shows proof that Bama was cheating during this recruiting season.

I'm not buying it.

But.

Does anybody have the video? <_<

The people who were sending it out are trying to delete the messages as fast as possible so Bryan and Jeff don't see them. I'd ask for a copy of it, but I foresee computer virus or trojan. Did anybody take the bite and get the video? Or have any clue what's going on?

Ash & Jeddah are the definate no's on this topic.

the seventh commandments of AUnation:

1. Nick Saban would never leave Miami and come to Tuscaloosa.

You definitely got me on this one--that's what I get for taking Nick Saban's word on anything. :poke:

Actually AUN predicted that he was lying and that he would leave Miami 12-21-06. He did just that 1-4-07.

Please keep up.

RIGGHHHTTTTTTTTT!

You definitely got me on this one--that's what I get for taking Nick Saban's word on anything. :poke:

Actually AUN predicted that he was lying and that he would leave Miami 12-21-06. He did just that 1-4-07.

Please keep up.

RIGGHHHTTTTTTTTT!

Ahem.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...mp;#entry320040

Ok, so he was off by a day. He said on 12/22/06 it was going to happen.

Now, do you like your crow sauteed or oven roasted?

Please keep up.

RIGGHHHTTTTTTTTT!

Ahem.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...mp;#entry320040

Ok, so he was off by a day. He said on 12/22/06 it was going to happen.

Now, do you like your crow sauteed or oven roasted?

Well, I stand corrected. I don't know how I missed that...must have been a day or two around the holidays when I missed going on line. (or just my 53-year-old memory cells taking a nap) I will say that among the Bama fans I know personally, I heard many of them report that their "unimpeachable sources" said "Spurrier to T-town is a done deal", but none of my Bama friends acted so confident about Saban until it was official. (One even came into our local watering hole and bought a round for the house because "Spurrier's going to be announced in the morning!" I love drinking free off dumb Bamas! )

Maybe he should learn how to actually COACH first...............

McCarney out in Jags' search

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Staff reports

University of South Florida defensive line coach Dan McCarney reportedly turned down an offer to become the first football coach at the University of South Alabama, according to an online story out of Florida on Monday.

"I was honored to be considered and be involved with it," McCarney said in a blog posted on the Tampa Tribune Web site. "South Alabama AD Joe Gottfried is one of the great administrators in college athletics."

The St. Petersburg Times Web site reported Monday evening that McCarney had "withdrawn his name from consideration" to become the head coach of the Jaguars' new football program.

McCarney, a former head coach at Iowa State, and Alabama defensive coordinator Kevin Steele were considered two of the leading candidates for the South Alabama job.

Gottfried has indicated that he hopes to name his new head coach after Wednesday's National Signing Day. He could not be reached for comment late Monday night.

according to Gottfried's interview that was in the MPR this morning, McCarney had actually accepted an offer, then backed out later.

USA athletic director Joe Gottfried confirmed Tuesday that McCarney, the head coach at Iowa State for 12 years, accepted the position, then backed out. McCarney has been with South Florida for one year.

You know why McCarney turned it down? He is on his way to UF.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7778052...-coach-McCarney

Another day goes by... I am still waiting guys... I thought this is a done deal once the class is signed.. !!!!! or did you guys mean by "signed" as in graduate from college?? lol

There's just no way AUN is making this stuff up.... well, i guess Steele does not like to start a job on the weekend.. B)

Another day goes by... I am still waiting guys... I thought this is a done deal once the class is signed.. !!!!! or did you guys mean by "signed" as in graduate from college?? lol

There's just no way AUN is making this stuff up.... well, i guess Steele does not like to start a job on the weekend.. B)

This all started because Steele (or someone "close to the situation") lied about still being interested in the job. But, I guess the lying part doesn't mean much. At least we can be sure that he got it from his Daddy.

Lyin', Cheatin', Losin'....This Is Alabama Football.

Do you have reading comprehension problems? It's not us saying this stuff, it's the Mobile Register. He's been interviewed twice and is still in the running. It's quite evident he wants the job, even though he'd take a pay cut getting it. It's just a matter of USA pulling the trigger.

Do you have reading comprehension problems? It's not us saying this stuff, it's the Mobile Register. He's been interviewed twice and is still in the running. It's quite evident he wants the job, even though he'd take a pay cut getting it. It's just a matter of USA pulling the trigger.

There you go again… posting actual facts. ;)

You should be ashamed of yourself for picking on the retarded.

Yeah you read it right. Now that they have a new OC, the next step in the process is the DC. Steele apparently has his bags packed and waiting until after signing day to announce his departure.

Yes, I am the one with reading mis-comprehension... :roflol:

I did not see where the Mobile Register says that...

Yeah you read it right. Now that they have a new OC, the next step in the process is the DC. Steele apparently has his bags packed and waiting until after signing day to announce his departure.

Yes, I am the one with reading mis-comprehension... :roflol:

I did not see where the Mobile Register says that...

No, waterhead. The MR says he and McCartney were finalists and both had been in for second interviews. McCartney has taken his name out of consideration. Steele wants the job, even though it would be a pay cut, just like we told you. It's just whether USA wants him now.

If he does go, good luck to him. I pull for all state schools, unless it's Auburn, and I even pull for them in bowl seasons. I still don't think he'll leave, but I if he does, he does.

No, waterhead. The MR says he and McCartney were finalists and both had been in for second interviews. McCartney has taken his name out of consideration. Steele wants the job, even though it would be a pay cut, just like we told you. It's just whether USA wants him now.

So is that your statement, the mobile register or just pulling things out of you know what...??? just to be on the clear side so i can go ahead and buy you some crow spices...

So is that your statement, the mobile register or just pulling things out of you know what...??? just to be on the clear side so i can go ahead and buy you some crow spices...

How many people do you know that go for a second interview for jobs they don't want? Are you seriously saying he's going to turn it down if offered? Not to mention he did this in the middle of recruiting season at his current job. Not exactly something most people would jeopardize at a job they fully intended on staying in.

Archived