Satellite go boom!

DKW 86

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=71c_1203596547&p=1

"Intercept at 153 nautical miles above earth..." with a standard missile three S3 fired from an Aegis Class Cruiser.

In other words:

"Dear China, Korea, Iran, etc our update standard missile will kill your missiles/satellites with incredibly accuracy."

Arent most satellites kept at 23 miles?

"Intercept at 153 nautical miles above earth..." with a standard missile three S3 fired from an Aegis Class Cruiser.

In other words:

"Dear China, Korea, Iran, etc our update standard missile will kill your missiles/satellites with incredibly accuracy."

Or the Chinese or North Koreans simply sneak their nuclear weapons into the country and detonate them. Pretty much, a 50 KT bomb detonated within 500 yards of the Capitol during the State of the Union Address would do the trick, decapitating the command structure of the country. Then nobody would know who did it.

In other words:

Or the Chinese or North Koreans simply sneak their nuclear weapons into the country and detonate them. Pretty much, a 50 KT bomb detonated within 500 yards of the Capitol during the State of the Union Address would do the trick, decapitating the command structure of the country. Then nobody would know who did it.

I think that even the most rogue governemtn would not do that. But, you know, history is filled with the-before-thought-to-be-unbelieveable events. Now, alQaeda doing that, that would be totally expected and the topic of another thread somewhere I am sure. This was a demostraion aimed at some rogue nations more than anything.

In other words:

as long as the weather is nice.

In other words:

I think that even the most rogue governemtn would not do that. But, you know, history is filled with the-before-thought-to-be-unbelieveable events. Now, alQaeda doing that, that would be totally expected and the topic of another thread somewhere I am sure. This was a demostraion aimed at some rogue nations more than anything.

Well, once you're to the point of lobbing a nuke, you might as well go all out, right? And, quite frankly, a good intelligence service will be able to sufficiently muddy the waters enough that there's enough uncertainty about the bomb's point of origin.

I'm really not pouring cold water on your point. What I'm saying is that these defense systems are the equivalent of a Maginot Line: Lots of money and technology to build, relatively easy to circumvent.

In other words:

And we have more than a month to figure out how to do it. $60,000,000! Yikes!

That said - We sure as hell did it!

In other words:

When the target is 153 miles up in space, I'm sure there is always some place on the globe from which to launch where the weather is "nice."

I'm no Navy expert but I think the USS Lake Eire is nothing special in regards to typical US missile cruisers, which is another subtle understatement made with this strike -- any USN cruiser has this same capability. Maybe some of you old salts can confirm?

This is a fantastic technological achievement: the fact that they could hit a bullet with another bullet is difficult enough, but consider that the kill vehicle was non-explosive and it first flew above the target and then made impact on a downward strike to force the majority of the debris towards Earth to burn up in the atmosphere. And all for the bargain price of $30M! Un ... freakin ... believable. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle3412735.ece

The first one always costs the most. The next ones will come at the bargain price of only about $10M each.

This does not prevent an attack on the US. What it does is say that any attacks on the US will be the last. After that, any capability you had of communicating and carrying out new attacks will be eliminated. As much as we rely on SAT technology around the globe, this is a very scary thing for most countries. You don't think Russia is nervous right now. And they are our friends? This is why the Star Wars initiative made other countries nervous. It gives us a GREAT first strike advantage. We are pretty sure as Americans that we will never first strike on purpose, but other countries don't get that warm and fuzzy from it like we do. And if we can hit a SAT moving like that, how much harder is it to hit an incoming missile?

A huge step that just subtly happened on a dumbass president's watch.

Archived