The reason ESPN is showing spring games

AU alum

This is what a Bammer told me. Because they had 92,000 at their A-Day last year, ESPN is showing UF/OSU/etc spring games on TV this year. It was so hard to not laugh.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering virtually every ESPN article about spring games this year mentioned our turnout last year...I think it's pretty safe to say it had an effect.

What would YOU attribute it to?

Mostly the lack of sports to put on... that's all better now that the NBA playoffs have arrived. I'm sure Bama had an effect too though.

Considering virtually every ESPN article about spring games this year mentioned our turnout last year...I think it's pretty safe to say it had an effect.

I think they just needed programming to put on, and hadn't thought of spring games before.

I think they just needed programming to put on, and hadn't thought of spring games before.

And it's just a random coincidence that they "thought" of it after a year of people talking about 92k showing up to our spring game?

There had to be a reason they thought it up.

Alabama's record crowd last year was pretty impressive, imo

With that said, it shows how crazy they are for football AND how much they expect right away which can be a good/bad thing

And it's just a random coincidence that they "thought" of it after a year of people talking about 92k showing up to our spring game?

They showed up because they knew they wouldn't lose that game!

I am not a Bama fan but I thought it was amazing that so many showed up. Is it free to attend the Bama spring game?

Money, pure and simple.

They showed up because they knew they wouldn't lose that game!

I am not a Bama fan but I thought it was amazing that so many showed up. Is it free to attend the Bama spring game?

Yes.

Did anyone catch the Texas Tech Spring Game today? I didn't notice ANY fans until the end of the first quarter. It looked like the attendance of a UAB game.

You couple the bammer turnout from last year and this year with the fact that Football is The KING Sport in this country and they realise that a lot of people would rather tune in to watch a practice on TV or in person than they would a NBA or Baseball game

Money, pure and simple.

That doesn't make sense. What made them realize they could make money off of it? And why do they keep mentioning our 92k when they write articles about spring football coverage?

Alabama's record crowd last year was pretty impressive, imo

With that said, it shows how crazy they are for football AND how much they expect right away which can be a good/bad thing

You are correct. However, the mullet redneck nation has a hard time understanding, if that is possible, the concept of the VERY "bad" side. Same as always, reality WILL teach them.

Money, pure and simple.

That doesn't make sense. What made them realize they could make money off of it? And why do they keep mentioning our 92k when they write articles about spring football coverage?

It makes sense to me. If it doesn't to you, what difference does it make in the scheme of things?

It makes sense to me. If it doesn't to you, what difference does it make in the scheme of things?

It doesn't make sense because you have yet to provide support for your argument beyond "because I said so"

BTW, Nebraska's spring game was yesterday and they had over 80,000...and you had to pay for tickets. Scalpers were getting as much as $100 apiece outside the stadium. The game was a sellout but they fell short of actual capacity attendance (81,067).

anybody have a link to the tv schedule for these games? I'd love to watch some of these but can't find anywhere that says when they are airing. Are they on ESPNU, ESPN classic?

BTW, Nebraska's spring game was yesterday and they had over 80,000...and you had to pay for tickets. Scalpers were getting as much as $100 apiece outside the stadium.

Now THAT is impressive. It would be fun to see how many of the wset vance mullets would part with their Skoal/Pabst money to see the Spring "game".............

anybody have a link to the tv schedule for these games? I'd love to watch some of these but can't find anywhere that says when they are airing. Are they on ESPNU, ESPN classic?

Some on ESPN/ESPN2, some on FSN, others on NFL network.

BTW, Nebraska's spring game was yesterday and they had over 80,000...and you had to pay for tickets. Scalpers were getting as much as $100 apiece outside the stadium. The game was a sellout but they fell short of actual capacity attendance (81,067).

still, thats pretty close to being packed. i think Memorial Stadium holds like 84,200 or something like that. its kind of ironic how some poked fun at UA (even some at ESPN) and now alot of schools are trying to pack it out, plus ESPN is now covering some of the games. i think its great, really. its good for the fans and i'm sure it makes the players feel great also. even if someone beats UA's record, that will be quite impressive.

still, that's pretty close to being packed. i think Memorial Stadium holds like 84,200 or something like that. its kind of ironic how some poked fun at UA (even some at ESPN) and now a lot of schools are trying to pack it out, plus ESPN is now covering some of the games. i think its great, really. its good for the fans and I'm sure it makes the players feel great also. even if someone beats UA's record, that will be quite impressive.

My question now is, how much do the coaches like it? I know they love the publicity, but they're not really able to see what the players can do in a game type atmosphere, calling a lot of the actual offense. I'm basing this off of the comments of some Coaches that have said something like, "well, we aren't going to be able to show all of our offense or our defense, because it's going to be on TV."

still, that's pretty close to being packed. i think Memorial Stadium holds like 84,200 or something like that. its kind of ironic how some poked fun at UA (even some at ESPN) and now a lot of schools are trying to pack it out, plus ESPN is now covering some of the games. i think its great, really. its good for the fans and I'm sure it makes the players feel great also. even if someone beats UA's record, that will be quite impressive.

My question now is, how much do the coaches like it? I know they love the publicity, but they're not really able to see what the players can do in a game type atmosphere, calling a lot of the actual offense. I'm basing this off of the comments of some Coaches that have said something like, "well, we aren't going to be able to show all of our offense or our defense, because it's going to be on TV."

i doubt it would really matter or not whether its on TV. pretty much anything ran in any spring game has always been fairly vanilla for the simple fact that anybody could be in the stands. the only true way to be able to run your offense/defense in its entirety is if you completely close it. i don't know any teams that run wide open in their spring game, televised or not.

This is what a Bammer told me. Because they had 92,000 at their A-Day last year, ESPN is showing UF/OSU/etc spring games on TV this year. It was so hard to not laugh.

I think that he's right, actually. Spring football has always been a potential money maker in the same way that the baseball hot-stove season and the NFL draft are money makers. When they packed 184,000 teeth into Bryant-Denny, it was clear that the potential was about to become realized.

Look for it to increase next year, too. Also, look for CTT to schedule A-Day in a way that will draw TV interest. I think that we missed an opportunity this year. There was a bit (small, but noticeable) of national interest to see what bringing CTF on board would look like.

Of course, I like anything that puts more football on the TV.

You can already see that networks are trying to make Spring Games a big deal

The concerts that were scheduled this year, ESPN Gameday being at UF, ESPN/ESPN2 showing games, etc....

They know how many big schools have fans that will make this a BIG DEAL thus they will whore the schools/fans off as much as possible for ratings

I mean, I would love to say that I hate it but if UGA is the center of that attention, I wouldn't complain

I just don't see UGA's G-Day as that big of a deal and one that I would never make a trip to Athens to see as it isn't worth it

Bama acts like they were the first to turn out a lot for a spring game. teams have had over 30 thou for years now. Yes, 90 thou is insane, but they(espn) also made a huge deal out of UF getting over 50thou in there for the spring game two years ago when meyer first came. I think that UF and Bama and the fact that they realize how much people love college football(they are doing college football live a lot now), thats the reason why they are broadcasting these games. The problem is that I'm not sure how many people would watch if they are not a diehard college football or a fan of that particular team.

You can already see that networks are trying to make Spring Games a big deal

The concerts that were scheduled this year, ESPN Gameday being at UF, ESPN/ESPN2 showing games, etc....

They know how many big schools have fans that will make this a BIG DEAL thus they will whore the schools/fans off as much as possible for ratings

I mean, I would love to say that I hate it but if UGA is the center of that attention, I wouldn't complain

I just don't see UGA's G-Day as that big of a deal and one that I would never make a trip to Athens to see as it isn't worth it

I think that's exactly where you guys are headed. You've got the pieces in place to be a rock star program this year. From my perspective, the only thing Georgia's been missing in the Richt era is swagger. You've got that in spades now.

When is/was bama's game on?

Archived