A.J. McCarron

kt7185

So you guys believe what this kid says but you don't believe Heavens when he said he had a firm offer from UA.

i never said that i didn't believe Heavens had a UA offer?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you guys believe what this kid says but you don't believe Heavens when he said he had a firm offer from UA.

sorry, no doubt the kid probably had an offer from AU. Unfortunately i lump all the bammerspeak i hear into one voice and lash out at it in order to be more efficient.

Auburn recruited McCarron........before Franklin came on the scene, then we backed off because he is not a spread offense QB. He may be great in a pocket passing offense.

A lot of Bammers on the Rivals network don't believe Heavens had a Bammer offer, even though Heavens and his high school coach both say he did. Why should we believe AJ McCarron just because he claims Auburn was recruiting him hard? It has been reported on every single Auburn board on the internet for the last two or three months that Auburn has spent very little or no time recruiting AJ McCarron since Tony Franklin became the offensive coordinator.

A lot of Bammers on the Rivals network don't believe Heavens had a Bammer offer, even though Heavens and his high school coach both say he did. Why should we believe AJ McCarron just because he claims Auburn was recruiting him hard? It has been reported on every single Auburn board on the internet for the last two or three months that Auburn has spent very little or no time recruiting AJ McCarron since Tony Franklin became the offensive coordinator.

I'd be surprised if AU didn't offer a top 250 player and one of the top QBs in the south. I'm not saying they didn't but I'd be surprised.

And if Heavens and his coach say Bama offered him, I have no reason to believe they didn't.

Look, I don't know if this kid will be any good. None of us does. But, I do have a problem with the "made-for-tv" nature of the ordeal. I ususally don't mind the seasonal pre-signing day press conference where kids pull a hat off the table. But, IT IS MAY BEFORE HIS SENIOR YEAR. It seems contrived, just as most things under Saban.

I live in Mobile. This was not news even in Mobile. Although it was covered by the wonderful Mobile print and television media, nobody really cares at this point. Being at Baumhauer's and all was just a bit much.

Look, I don't know if this kid will be any good. None of us does. But, I do have a problem with the "made-for-tv" nature of the ordeal. I ususally don't mind the seasonal pre-signing day press conference where kids pull a hat off the table. But, IT IS MAY BEFORE HIS SENIOR YEAR. It seems contrived, just as most things under Saban.

I live in Mobile. This was not news even in Mobile. Although it was covered by the wonderful Mobile print and television media, nobody really cares at this point. Being at Baumhauer's and all was just a bit much.

he's a kid. let him have his 15 minutes in the spotlight. to you or me it may not seem like a kid committing is that big of a deal, but to some of them this is one of the most important decisions they will make. i swear some of you would try to blame CNS if it was a cloudy day.

BG - Isn't Bama going to some what of a spread offense? If so, will he ever play at Bama?

bump

I'd be surprised if AU didn't offer a top 250 player and one of the top QBs in the south. I'm not saying they didn't but I'd be surprised.

And if Heavens and his coach say Bama offered him, I have no reason to believe they didn't.

Why would you recruit a player who didn't fit your offense, no matter how highly he was rated by some website? Raymond Cotton is a 4 star recruit according to scout. Auburn is also recruiting AJ Massakowski from Texas and Eugene Smith from Florida. Ryan Massakowski is rated 7 or 8 places ahead of AJ McCarron on Rivals list of the top 250 players, and Eugene Smith is only listed 7 or 8 places behind AJ McCarron on that same list. Both of those kids actually fit Auburn's new spread offense. From everything I have heard, Auburn has a decent chance of getting a committment from one of those two quarterbacks.

BG - Isn't Bama going to some what of a spread offense? If so, will he ever play at Bama?

bump

I don't think so. Pendry and Saban are still heavy handed in architecting the offense. Now you might see more movement and more stuff out of the gun, but a full on spread I doubt.

Either way, AJ shows in video that he's fairly mobile. Much of their offense had him on designed boots and rollouts.

I hope he picks Bama, he has a 5.1 time in the 40. Raven Gray runs a 4.55 in the 40. I'm bettin on Raven.

actually, his 40 is listed at 4.8. also, you guys have offered Eugene Smith and he has the same 40 time as AJ and is even almost 20 lbs lighter than AJ. Smith is a dual-threat QB too for that matter. so i guess Smith must really suck since speed is more important for a dual-threat QB than a pocket QB?

he's a kid. let him have his 15 minutes in the spotlight. to you or me it may not seem like a kid committing is that big of a deal, but to some of them this is one of the most important decisions they will make. i swear some of you would try to blame CNS if it was a cloudy day.

Listen, kids NEVER set up their own pressers. It's either parents or coaches.

And, it was a beautiful day. Must mean that CTT was working overtime.

I hope he picks Bama, he has a 5.1 time in the 40. Raven Gray runs a 4.55 in the 40. I'm bettin on Raven.

actually, his 40 is listed at 4.8. also, you guys have offered Eugene Smith and he has the same 40 time as AJ and is even almost 20 lbs lighter than AJ. Smith is a dual-threat QB too for that matter. so i guess Smith must really suck since speed is more important for a dual-threat QB than a pocket QB?

LOL @ using supposed Rivals 40-time listings. They can list McCarron and Smith however they want, McCarron is a statue wheras Smith is mobile and elusive.

LOL @ using supposed Rivals 40-time listings. They can list McCarron and Smith however they want, McCarron is a statue wheras Smith is mobile and elusive.

oh, ok. so i guess we can just disregard recruiting sites stats now and just make up our own to fit whatever argument we're trying to make. so noted. :thumbsup:

going on your theory i could just as easily say McCarron is mobile and elusive and Smith is a statue. just because i want to. i calculated this using the metafour method. this is not a very surprising post from you, though. as usual, there is never a UA recruit that could hold a candle to an AU recruit.

You obviously haven't seen any of AJ's video.

Just as a curiousity, why are these posts here so often. This is an AU recruiting forum, not a Rival recruiting forum? Why do we keep seeing posts about Alabama recruits on the AU board?

If we both were in the run for a recruit come the dwindling days around signing day I could see the discussion, but talking about an Alabama recruit 320 days before signing day on an AU forum seems a bit rediculous.

I get enough bama this bama that every day, can't I read about the AU recruits without having to sift through constant Bammer posts.

You obviously haven't seen any of AJ's video.

I've seen the kid in person and his' mobility is very limited. He's a lot closer to the 5.1 than he is the 4.8. But I wish the kid the best. I just don't see Bama being the right program for him. FSU would have been the ideal offense for him. Much like it would have been better for Brodie..... B)

FootballFanatic I started the thread because I thought it would be worthwhile to see if A) everyone thought he was a bama lock and B to open discussion about the QBs both teams are pursuing. I am an AU fan all the way but I like to hear what the dark side has to say.

As for his 40 time and elusiveness, why do we even care? It is a good pickup for them, but it shouldn't worry us if he is slow or fast. We will take any 4* we can get and be damn glad we got him. Let them do the same. If he had committed to AU instead of UA we would all be stoked. The general consensus is that he wouldn't fit our system very well, don't fall for that, CTF said himself that he will work with a guy that is a great runner or thrower and make this offense successful.

He was as it turns out a Bama lock and we didn't have a shot. Oh well. There will be guys this year that they won't have a shot at because they are AU, UGA, LSU, UF locks and so on. These are the easy ones to get, hopefully the staff can reel in some of the great not so easy gets.

oh, ok. so i guess we can just disregard recruiting sites stats now and just make up our own to fit whatever argument we're trying to make. so noted. :thumbsup:

Next thing we'll see is that he's up to 220lbs. per the bOL. I've heard that he was timed at 5.04 40 and that, that time hasn't changed up to this point. I know that he'll be tested a crap load at the summer camps and all, but right now....he's NOT a 4.8 40 guy. Not that it really matters. He also talked about not really liking the Spread Type offenses, because the QB get hit. Apparently he didn't watch the '05 Iron Bowl....LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cX5aXqpUkE...feature=related

Or the near beheading of Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9D46xep-Rw

2500 yards, 26 Touchdowns, 3 INTs

Your incoming QB had the same # of INTs in his last high school game than AJ had his entire Junior year.

Just something to think about.

Why would you recruit a player who didn't fit your offense, no matter how highly he was rated by some website? Raymond Cotton is a 4 star recruit according to scout. Auburn is also recruiting AJ Massakowski from Texas and Eugene Smith from Florida. Ryan Massakowski is rated 7 or 8 places ahead of AJ McCarron on Rivals list of the top 250 players, and Eugene Smith is only listed 7 or 8 places behind AJ McCarron on that same list. Both of those kids actually fit Auburn's new spread offense. From everything I have heard, Auburn has a decent chance of getting a committment from one of those two quarterbacks.

Massakowski is classified as a pro-style QB also, and AU offered him. so how is it both McCarron and Massakowski are pro-style, Massakowski threw for 400 yards more, threw 7 TD less and 10 more INTs than McCarron last season, and he somehow fits AU's system where McCarron doesn't. Massakowski has thrown almost twice as many INTs in one year as McCarron has in his whole career as a starter. i'm not going to say Massakowski is horrible, but to say that he fits AU's system but McCarron doesn't makes no sense. its funny how some of you guys one day say Rivals is biased and you cant believe anything they put up, but then you use them to try and make an argument about something when its convenient. Scout actually has McCarron 3 spots ahead of Massakowski. so i guess today you will go with what Rivals has then trash them in a few days for something else and cite Scout as the holy grail? but just not today, since that wouldn't fit your argument.

2500 yards, 26 Touchdowns, 3 INTs

Your incoming QB had the same # of INTs in his last high school game than AJ had his entire Junior year.

Just something to think about.

I was at the game, were you? If you were, you'd be able to tell the talent surrounding AJ was a lot better than that of Briarwood.

Massakowski is classified as a pro-style QB also, and AU offered him. so how is it both McCarron and Massakowski are pro-style, Massakowski threw for 400 yards more, threw 7 TD less and 10 more INTs than McCarron last season, and he somehow fits AU's system where McCarron doesn't. Massakowski has thrown almost twice as many INTs in one year as McCarron has in his whole career as a starter. i'm not going to say Massakowski is horrible, but to say that he fits AU's system but McCarron doesn't makes no sense. its funny how some of you guys one day say Rivals is biased and you cant believe anything they put up, but then you use them to try and make an argument about something when its convenient. Scout actually has McCarron 3 spots ahead of Massakowski. so i guess today you will go with what Rivals has then trash them in a few days for something else and cite Scout as the holy grail? but just not today, since that wouldn't fit your argument.

Mossakowski plays in a spread offense similar to the one run by Franklin, in fact, he attended a Troy camp a few years back while Franklin was there. Just because a guy is classified as a "Pro-Style" QB doesn't mean that he cant or doesn't fit in a spread, especially our spread where being able to run the ball isn't even necessary (Rivals basically lists anyone who isn't a running threat as a Pro-Style QB). Mossakowski is a spread QB who has decent athleticism. McCarron is a pro-style offense QB who has openly stated that he doesn't want to play in a spread-offense, and he is also an inferior athlete to Mossakowski.

As for Mossakwski vs McCarron...yes, McCarron is probably more polished right now, but upside wise its not even close. Mossakowski has the perfect frame you look for, solid mechanics, and a flat out stronger arm than McCarron. Using stats to compare is pretty stupid seeing as how McCarron played alongside Barron, Hood, and Matchett whereas from what I've seen Mossakowski hasn't had anywhere near the same talent beside him.

I think you made a mistake in using logic. THAT is a conversation stopper with a west vancester....................

Mossakowski plays in a spread offense similar to the one run by Franklin, in fact, he attended a Troy camp a few years back while Franklin was there. Just because a guy is classified as a "Pro-Style" QB doesn't mean that he cant or doesn't fit in a spread, especially our spread where being able to run the ball isn't even necessary (Rivals basically lists anyone who isn't a running threat as a Pro-Style QB). Mossakowski is a spread QB who has decent athleticism. McCarron is a pro-style offense QB who has openly stated that he doesn't want to play in a spread-offense, and he is also an inferior athlete to Mossakowski.

As for Mossakwski vs McCarron...yes, McCarron is probably more polished right now, but upside wise its not even close. Mossakowski has the perfect frame you look for, solid mechanics, and a flat out stronger arm than McCarron. Using stats to compare is pretty stupid seeing as how McCarron played alongside Barron, Hood, and Matchett whereas from what I've seen Mossakowski hasn't had anywhere near the same talent beside him.

then i guess we should just stop looking at stats of every recruit all together then. or there should be an * beside everybody's stats that says (this person had Jim, John, and Joe as WR's). Mossakowski's "perfect frame, solid mechanics, and flat out stronger arm" didn't seem to help him get the ball to his WRs with all those INTs. you can say "well you can't look at stats" or "well he had all these talented guys at WR" but fact of the matter is the guy still has to get the ball there. i'm surprised you even acknowledged that a UA signee has some talent, given they are going to UA. i guess they're only overrated when it fits your argument better. you laughed at me quoting a Rivals 40-time earlier in the thread, yet you are fine with Rivals having Mossakowski ranked higher than McCarron.....but Scout has McCarron higher. so i guess today we should "LOL @ Scout's QB rankings"?

Archived