Ken Stabler

WarDamn

All joking aside, I pray he gets H E L P...soon. For his sake and the sake of everyone on the highways.

Believe me, Kenny Stabler truly needs help. I say this as a Bama fan, but one that can see people as they are. The biggest problem with Kenny is that he tries to relive his youth. He still thinks that he is that young quarterback that can walk into any bar and get any girl to leave with him. It is really quite embarassing to see him in action. I truly do not care if they take him away from the play by play. I don't think that he is that good, and frankly his voice is annoying to me. I wish him the best, and I seriously hope that he gets help for his own sake. It doesn't matter where you played football or if you never did play, if you have a drinking problem, you need to get help before you hurt yourself or someone else.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

frankly his voice is annoying to me.

That's right Eli.

I wish him the best, and I seriously hope that he gets help for his own sake. It doesn't matter where you played football or if you never did play, if you have a drinking problem, you need to get help before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Agreed.

He doesn't even look drunk. DUI laws have gotten way out of hand in this country.

Agreed. I have a female friend in her 30's who got a DUI in Athens (AL), and she had not had a drop to drink that night. The officer pulled her over because he said she was weaving, and even though the breathalyzer confirmed she was sober he arrested her and noted on the report that she appeared drunk. Officer's discretion. Of course she tried to fight it in court, but it was basically her word against his. Shameful.

if the Dregger showed her as .000, that should have been an easy day in court. now if you get charged with driving under the influence of drugs then that could be a he said/she said/dash camera said situation. if an officer walked up to this woman who had nothing to drink and it was confirmed by PBT and/or Dregger and she was convicted, thats one crooked system you guys have up there.

i've never known Stabler to have problems in Gulf Shores, and thats no good ol' boy turn a blind eye type thing. i think the majority of his problems happen elsewhere. just for the record, Gulf Shores' chief and deputy chief are AU fans ;)

He doesn't even look drunk. DUI laws have gotten way out of hand in this country.

Agreed. I have a female friend in her 30's who got a DUI in Athens (AL), and she had not had a drop to drink that night. The officer pulled her over because he said she was weaving, and even though the breathalyzer confirmed she was sober he arrested her and noted on the report that she appeared drunk. Officer's discretion. Of course she tried to fight it in court, but it was basically her word against his. Shameful.

if the Dregger showed her as .000, that should have been an easy day in court. now if you get charged with driving under the influence of drugs then that could be a he said/she said/dash camera said situation. if an officer walked up to this woman who had nothing to drink and it was confirmed by PBT and/or Dregger and she was convicted, thats one crooked system you guys have up there.

i've never known Stabler to have problems in Gulf Shores, and thats no good ol' boy turn a blind eye type thing. i think the majority of his problems happen elsewhere. just for the record, Gulf Shores' chief and deputy chief are AU fans ;)

Where's the link? (LOL)

I think it's time for UA to end their ties with Kenny in the broadcast booth.

I'm all for second chances, but this many is on about his 14th. He's not sorry for what he does, he's not worried about killing someone with his car.

Again, he's only had 3 DUI's that he's been convicted of. I'd be willing to be he's been let go at least 10 times in the last 5-10 years...but was totally slammered.

Kenny is like 107 years old. He hasn't learned by now. He's not going to.

SSDD...

This whole thread just begs the question: If you dont think Kenny looks drunk in the pic, I guess I would have to ask if anyone really knows what Kenny looks like sober? I mean, I am only 46 and I cant truly tell you I have ever seen Kenny sober in my life.

Saw on the front page of al.com that the University of Alabama plans to support Stabler. I find that ridiculous. He was putting people's lives in danger by doing what he was doing. Luckily the cops got him... It could have been that 2 minutes down the road, he would have hit a car head on and killed a couple of people.

What is there to support? False arrest and they are backing up his innocence? I don't understand that position. Announcing "support" in this case really makes no sense. Best way to support him is stay out of it.

Even the bammers on the board are saying it is time for Kenny to make an exit, yet the UAT PTBs are going to "support" him. If I were UAT fans, I would be making my dissatisfaction known to those who make the decision on Kenny's UAT broadcasting future.

As far as the comment about DUI laws being too tough...I bet you would not think that if you had a close loved one killed by a drunk driver.

A legal question: Is there a statute of limitations on past DUI offenses in Alabama? Will his '95 and '01 DUI's count against him as a repeat offender, i.e., could he be looking at mandatory jail time for a 3rd DUI? (Thankfully, I don't have much knowledge and no personal experience with the state DUI regulations.)

I would still like to know the answer to this one. LegalEagle, can you shed some light on this for us?

Seriously, I pray that he gets some help. He could easily end up killing others and himself. Sad. :(

Here is a link to Alabama DUI laws. It looks like Snake gets mandatory time because it is his third in his lifetime. One more and it is a felony.

AL DUI laws

A third DUI conviction within a person's lifetime is also a misdemeanor. Upon conviction he will be sentenced to no less than 60 days and no more than 1 year in the county or municipal jail. The accused shall be fined between $2,100 and $10,100, have his driver's license suspended for 3 years and shall be required to complete a court ordered alcohol treatment program.

Edit In:

The state site actually has something different, which is what I should have posted to begin with, but the law does not make sense to me.

First Conviction:

Imprisonment - Up to 1 year in municipal or county jail (no minimum mandatory sentence)

Fine - $500 - $2,000, plus an additional $100 fine assessed for Impaired Drivers Trust Fund (§32-5A-191.1)

Mandatory - 90-day license suspension, DUI school attendance

Second Conviction:

Imprisonment - 48 consecutive hours, up to 1 year, or not less than 20 days community service

Fine - $1,000 - $5,000, plus an additional $100 fine assessed for Impaired Drivers Trust Fund (§32-5A-191.1)

Mandatory - Not less than 48 hours consecutive imprisonment, or community service of not less than 20 days

DL Revocation - 1 year

Third Conviction Within 5 Years:

Imprisonment - 60 days in municipal or county jail, up to 1 year

Mandatory - 60-day imprisonment which cannot be probated or suspended

Fine - $2,000 - $10,000, plus an additional $100 fine assessed for Impaired Drivers Trust Fund (§32-5A-191.1)

DL Revocation - 3 years

Fourth or Subsequent Conviction Within 5 Years - Class C Felony (§32-5A-191):

Imprisonment - 1-10 years

Fine - $4,000 - $10,000

DL Revocation - 5 years

State link

Why does the first and second conviction not mention any time frame, but the third conviction has a statute of 5 years? Do you have to have three convictions within 5 years for the third and fourth convictions to be counted as such?

Here is a link to Alabama DUI laws. It looks like Snake gets mandatory time because it is his third in his lifetime. One more and it is a felony.

AL DUI laws

A third DUI conviction within a person's lifetime is also a misdemeanor. Upon conviction he will be sentenced to no less than 60 days and no more than 1 year in the county or municipal jail. The accused shall be fined between $2,100 and $10,100, have his driver's license suspended for 3 years and shall be required to complete a court ordered alcohol treatment program.

Edit In:

The state site actually has something different, which is what I should have posted to begin with, but the law does not make sense to me.

First Conviction:

Imprisonment - Up to 1 year in municipal or county jail (no minimum mandatory sentence)

Fine - $500 - $2,000, plus an additional $100 fine assessed for Impaired Drivers Trust Fund (§32-5A-191.1)

Second Conviction:

Imprisonment - 48 consecutive hours, up to 1 year, or not less than 20 days community service

Fine - $1,000 - $5,000, plus an additional $100 fine assessed for Impaired Drivers Trust Fund (§32-5A-191.1)

Mandatory - Not less than 48 hours consecutive imprisonment, or community service of not less than 20 days

DL Revocation - 1 year

Fine - $2,000 - $10,000, plus an additional $100 fine assessed for Impaired Drivers Trust Fund (§32-5A-191.1)

DL Revocation - 3 years

Fine - $4,000 - $10,000

DL Revocation - 5 years

State link

Why does the first and second conviction not mention any time frame, but the third conviction has a statute of 5 years? Do you have to have three convictions within 5 years for the third and fourth convictions to be counted as such?

There are a multitude of factors that play into his DUI problems, legally speaking. If he participated in one of AL's rehab programs where they assign you a color and randomly test you for a time period of 6 months...and if he never tested positive, then the previous DUI's could be eliminated from his record.

AL DUI laws

Edit In:

First Conviction:

Second Conviction:

DL Revocation - 1 year

DL Revocation - 3 years

Fine - $4,000 - $10,000

DL Revocation - 5 years

State link

There are a multitude of factors that play into his DUI problems, legally speaking. If he participated in one of AL's rehab programs where they assign you a color and randomly test you for a time period of 6 months...and if he never tested positive, then the previous DUI's could be eliminated from his record.

Are you serious? That's the weirdest law I've ever heard.....You mean to tell me that if you can go 6 months without ever testing positive for drugs or alcohol that you can get a clean slate? If this is true, then I gaurantee you that someone let Kenny know when his color was going to be "randomly drawn" so he would have time to sober up.

Actually, this could be Stabler's fourth DUI. Intentionally grounding the ball to stop the clock on fourth down could be considered driving under the influence. B)

I figured UA is supporting him about getting the help he needs. Do you honestly think a university would be like, "Aw shucks, everyone get's DUI's! No biggie."

what absolutely blows my mind is he refused PBT/Dregger. some people think that if you refuse, then it gives you a better chance of beating the charge in court. a refusal is no different than blowing a .30, by refusing you are automatically admitting you are drunk. plus when you try and fight it in court if you try and argue you were sober, the judge will ask you why you didn't want to prove it when you were pulled over/booked.

I figured UA is supporting him about getting the help he needs. Do you honestly think a university would be like, "Aw shucks, everyone get's DUI's! No biggie."

I just wonder what the law requires as far as an employee is concerned. I remeber one of our employees having a drug problem and we were required to send or at least offer her rehab. During the time that she was in rehab we could not fire her. I just wonder if this is maybe what the University is looking into before they make a decision, and why they are saying that they are supporting him.

I believe that we should support him and get him help, before he kills someone, but I do believe that they should let him go. If it were the first time, and he agreed to go to rehab, maybe keep him, but not after 3 and he's 62 years old for goodness sake. He needs to grow up. I know it's a disease, but didn't he see what it did to Joe Namath? I lost a very good friend because of a drunk driver, so I really don't have a lot of patience or sympathy with this. I wish Saran Stacy would call him, and tell him how it feels to lose most of your family because of an idiot.

I just wonder what the law requires as far as an employee is concerned. I remeber one of our employees having a drug problem and we were required to send or at least offer her rehab. During the time that she was in rehab we could not fire her. I just wonder if this is maybe what the University is looking into before they make a decision, and why they are saying that they are supporting him.

I believe that we should support him and get him help, before he kills someone, but I do believe that they should let him go. If it were the first time, and he agreed to go to rehab, maybe keep him, but not after 3 and he's 62 years old for goodness sake. He needs to grow up. I know it's a disease, but didn't he see what it did to Joe Namath? I lost a very good friend because of a drunk driver, so I really don't have a lot of patience or sympathy with this. I wish Saran Stacy would call him, and tell him how it feels to lose most of your family because of an idiot.

Right on!!!!!

I don't know if there is any law on the books that requires an employer to send an employee to rehab. The companies that do that are doing it on their own, especially if it is a good employee that they do not want to lose. It would cost them more to have to train somebody new then paying for rehab. I had an employee come in drunk one time and I sent them home on a 3 day suspension. Word got around to me and upper management that this employee had done it before. The site manager and HR asked me if the employee was worth keeping and us footing the bill for rehab or just letting them go.

So, I have seen companies fire somebody for coming to work under the influence and I have seen companies keep they employee and offer to send them to rehab. Like I said, I guess it depends on the company or even how valuable the company thinks the employee is. However, in most cases if the employee causes some sort of accident on the job while intoxicated, that usually results in termination, regardless of how valuable the employee is.

what absolutely blows my mind is he refused PBT/Dregger. some people think that if you refuse, then it gives you a better chance of beating the charge in court. a refusal is no different than blowing a .30, by refusing you are automatically admitting you are drunk. plus when you try and fight it in court if you try and argue you were sober, the judge will ask you why you didn't want to prove it when you were pulled over/booked.

I don't condone driving under the influence in the least. It really is putting lives at stake and I condemn such callousness.

However, philosophically, I've never quite understood how refusal to blow/test can be used against someone in court without violating their 5th Amendment rights against self-incrimination.

Let me first say that I never drink and drive and I don't condone it.

Having said that let me say you should NEVER agree to a breathalizer test. What you should always do is agree to a field sobriety test (touch your nose, walk a line, follow the light, etc...)

You can claim to be skeptical of the science and they can't force you to breath. The field tests are proven to only be about 85% accurate in studies therefore without 100% there remains a reasonable doubt and a good attorney can get you off everytime.

I don't condone driving under the influence in the least. It really is putting lives at stake and I condemn such callousness.

However, philosophically, I've never quite understood how refusal to blow/test can be used against someone in court without violating their 5th Amendment rights against self-incrimination.

the 5th amendment does not apply to a DUI/DWI. the 5th amendment covers testimony in court, or covers information given in an interrogation. such as if you aren't mirandized before the interrogation, anything said in there is inadmissable. a common misconception is that you have to be mirandized anytime you are arrested. if you are arrested for say possession of paraphernalia/drugs, etc, then you don't have to be mirandized because you aren't being questioned, you were caught red handed. under Alabama's per se DUI laws, you can get additional punishment for refusing. by obtaining a driver's license that is implied consent to a breath/blood/urine test for alcohol and/or drugs. therefore 5th amendment also does not apply to that.

sntemp: that is some VERY dangerous advice you are suggesting. who is a judge going to believe, you, or the officer that arrested you, the officer in intake that booked you, and the dash camera and audio recording from the patrol car? sure, you can't be forced to test but you are digging yourself a HUGE hole by doing that, as a refusal is extremely tough/nearly impossible to beat and you will get harsher penalties when you are found guilty. say you are booked in for DUI or PI and you are so drunk or you are uncooperative/combative and they won't let you have a test and just throw you in holding until you sober up, you will more than likely be found guilty.

"you can get additional punishment for refusing. by obtaining a driver's license that is implied consent to a breath/blood/urine test for alcohol and/or drugs"

Not entirely true. Violating the implied consent will most likely result in a suspension of your license however it'll make it easier to beat the DUI charge. So if your strategy is to avoid the criminal conviction not blowing is the best route.

"sntemp: that is some VERY dangerous advice you are suggesting. who is a judge going to believe, you, or the officer that arrested you, the officer in intake that booked you, and the dash camera and audio recording from the patrol car? sure, you can't be forced to test but you are digging yourself a HUGE hole by doing that, as a refusal is extremely tough/nearly impossible to beat and you will get harsher penalties when you are found guilty."

Again, I don't drink and drive but for a couple reasons I know that the advice I am giving is in no way dangerous.

And that is IF you are found guilty not WHEN. Without BAC you've taking the biggest piece of evidence from the prosecutions hands and now made it about subjective testimony and that can be beat in a court. Kind of hard to beat a breath test.

Archived