The Messiah to journey to a new land in the West?

DKW 86

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, i didn't think it was this time of year already. yet another sign that football season is upon us. we will know the end of the season is upon us when rumors of CTT leaving start swirling.

:popcorn:

From the Washington Board

From Tigerdroppings...

Posted here strictly for entertainment value...

Ya know, I have just made a resolution for myself that I am just not going to worry about coaches leaving or coming anymore. They are going to do what they want, and it's almost like you don't know if they will be your coach next year until every school out there has a coach for next year. Just because one says he is happy and does not plan on leaving, it doesn't mean anything. I am not just talking about our coach, but all coaches out there. It just wouldn't do for me to be in the position to make the decision to keep one or let him go if I felt like he was only trying to get more money. Back in the old days this might have been alright because salaries weren't as high as they are today, but when other people are suffering because they have lost their jobs, a football coach should be happy where he is and appreciate that large salary that he has. I think that Coach Saban should just settle down and stay at Bama until he retires. He has won a MNC, tried the pros, and moved back to the college league, and has a lot of money. He has a nice place in Georgia to retire to, and kids that are almost grown. He should just relax now, and concentrate on staying in one place and then retire and pay back that wife that has followed him thru all of this. I can tell you this right now, that personality wise, the people in Tuscaloosa would hate to see Mrs. Saban leave more than him. We absolutely love her, and I think that the people at LSU did too.

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1361&t=2738574

Here is what I have. It is from two independent sources in the Seattle business/UW booster community:

1. Saban has sent very informal "what if" feelers to Mark Emmert. It seems that Saban believes there MAY be some ugly things surrounding the Bama program outside of his control, that might make things unbearable in the next year or so. These things somehow involve the Univerity of Florida, and specifically Coach Urban Meyer. (maybe someone can explain this part to me as I am unaware of any UF-Bama tension).

2. Emmert has floated Saban's name to NUMEROUS UW boosters. He also has presented it as a "what if" scenario. He has painted a picture to boosters that goes something like this " the similarities with LSU and UW are eerily similar. both are once-proud programs fallen on hard times, with great resources and facilities. UW has a chance to provide a counterweight to USC on the West coast which has been pitifully neglected. As Willingham flames out- UW needs to commit to football, and we need to prepare to hire the best possible coach".

:poke::rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks Saban is going to leave is dreaming because they want to believe it because they are worried what he is going to do. People don't get it stuck in their minds that a coach leaves programs in short periods of time to pursue better opportunities. You guys can laugh, but Alabama is a top NCAA program to coach at. So was LSU, but the NFL was higher. He went for it and now he is back. Why would he leave? Because of the pressure of the Bammers? Please - that is why they pay him $4M.

Anyone who thinks he is going to leave is because they want to believe that he will leave because they are scared. He had a great recruiting class and will likely make Bama a much better program either this year or next. His current recruiting class, though less in numbers, is already more impressive than Auburn's. I'm as big of an Auburn fan as you can find - but the facts are that Saban is the one getting the top talent in the state and not Tuberville. Yes, Tubs has gotten a few good commits so far this month, but the big recruits out there are likely going to Bama. Same thing happened last year, same thing is happening this year, and it will likely stay that way. I am not dogging Tuberville, but that's how it is.

If Saban wins the Iron Bowl this year, while everyone is pointing at the lack of talent - just imagine what to expect in the near future. The pressure is on Saban to win the Iron Bowl this year. But it is just as important for Tuberville to win so that there aren't serious doubters.

Anyone who thinks Saban is going to leave is dreaming because they want to believe it because they are worried what he is going to do. People don't get it stuck in their minds that a coach leaves programs in short periods of time to pursue better opportunities. You guys can laugh, but Alabama is a top NCAA program to coach at. So was LSU, but the NFL was higher. He went for it and now he is back. Why would he leave? Because of the pressure of the Bammers? Please - that is why they pay him $4M.

Anyone who thinks he is going to leave is because they want to believe that he will leave because they are scared. He had a great recruiting class and will likely make Bama a much better program either this year or next.

Oh please. Come down off your high horse pchump. We expect saban will leave eventually based soley on his track record of changing jobs every 4-5 years. We expect saban to leave because of uat's inability to find a savior for their program. They've been struggling for 25 years to find the right replacement. This decade they've had dubose, Fran, Price, Shula, and now saban. FIVE coaches in 8 years. Why is it such a reach to think that saban will be leaving uat sooner than later? You can come in here all high and mighty all you want, ,but there is NOBODY from any school anywhere, least of all auburn, that are afraid of saban or what he is going to do. We've already seen what he's gonna do. Zero discipline, 7 wins, and 10 arrests and paper potential. Nope not too worried.

Talk down to people all you want, but $aban and Petrino has never shown any loyalty to any previous employer. $aban has never spent more than five years at ANY previous stop (including as an assistant), and Petrino is even more of a journeyman. You can go on thinking that those leopards have changed their spots all you want, but for me, the proof is in the pudding. I do think Bama will get back to being competitive. I do think $aban can get them there. I just don't think he'll be there in 2013. He gets wanderlust. He's a nomad. Once he's put Bama back on the map (or failed to do so) he'll leave because that's who he is and what he does. Petrino, on the other hand, will leave the moment he gets an offer from a more notable school. He's an ego-maniac... that's who he is and what he does.

I'm not saying $aban is going to UW. I'll probably never be the guy saying "this is the job he's going to take!" because I don't have inside information. I'm just saying it would be the height of silliness to pretend like he's all the sudden, after 30 years of relocating, going to become a guy who is comfortable sitting in one place for 20 years just because it's a good job. That's just not going to happen.

As for recruiting, I don't believe we've been as badly beaten as people think. I just don't. We'll see. No one has any idea who brought in better players last year or is bringing in better players this year. All anyone can do is speculate. Till Bama starts winning more, churning out quality men, and actually scaring people... I'll continue to say that we've outrecruited them.

Anyone who thinks he is going to leave is because they want to believe that he will leave because they are scared. He had a great recruiting class and will likely make Bama a much better program either this year or next. His current recruiting class, though less in numbers, is already more impressive than Auburn's. I'm as big of an Auburn fan as you can find - but the facts are that Saban is the one getting the top talent in the state and not Tuberville. Yes, Tubs has gotten a few good commits so far this month, but the big recruits out there are likely going to Bama. Same thing happened last year, same thing is happening this year, and it will likely stay that way. I am not dogging Tuberville, but that's how it is.

If Saban wins the Iron Bowl this year, while everyone is pointing at the lack of talent - just imagine what to expect in the near future. The pressure is on Saban to win the Iron Bowl this year. But it is just as important for Tuberville to win so that there aren't serious doubters.

Will you please shut up. Were you on this board last year when Tubs was hunting in Arkansas and the rumors ran that he was leaving? These bammers were unmerciful on this board. Honestly, most of us don't care whether Saban leaves tomorrow or after twenty years, but DKW was just having a little fun. He even said it was just for entertainment value. I don't think anyone on this board thinks he will be going to UW, but its fun to get a little jab in on the bammers.

A sense of humor is a good thing. Maybe you should get one.

Everyone likes to look at the past for reasons why someone is going to do something. But the problem with statistics is that they are just numbers and a true statistician would recognize where numbers get flawed.

Yes, he has never been somewhere longer than 5 years because every 4-5 years a better opportunity arises. At this point, that pretty much leaves open a limited number of SEC schools that could possibly open up in the next 4 years (UT and AU is all I can think of at this point as top programs that might lose their coach) and maybe some other schools like USC and Penn State. But I don't see him going to one of those programs.

My point is - where would Saban go from Alabama? He isn't going to the NFL. Think within the next 4 years of real actual possibilities that he would leave Alabama for. And don't just say where the money leads him. You know, everyone said the same thing about Tuberville leaving Auburn after just a few short years and he didn't leave. Why would Saban be any different?

Saban isn't going anywhere anytime in the next 4 years. And I will bet anything against that. But it would be hilarious if he did leave. The Bammers would be distraught.

Everyone likes to look at the past for reasons why someone is going to do something. But the problem with statistics is that they are just numbers and a true statistician would recognize where numbers get flawed.

Yes, he has never been somewhere longer than 5 years because every 4-5 years a better opportunity arises. At this point, that pretty much leaves open a limited number of SEC schools that could possibly open up in the next 4 years (UT and AU is all I can think of at this point as top programs that might lose their coach) and maybe some other schools like USC and Penn State. But I don't see him going to one of those programs.

My point is - where would Saban go from Alabama? He isn't going to the NFL. Think within the next 4 years of real actual possibilities that he would leave Alabama for. And don't just say where the money leads him. You know, everyone said the same thing about Tuberville leaving Auburn after just a few short years and he didn't leave. Why would Saban be any different?

Saban isn't going anywhere anytime in the next 4 years. And I will bet anything against that. But it would be hilarious if he did leave. The Bammers would be distraught.

Don't we study history so that we can predict along with prevent/encourage what people are going to do in life? Similar to a criminal - most criminals who get out of jail will commit another crime. Even if they don't commit a crime, people will still view them as someone is more than likely going to commit one.

Use Nick Saban as a reference. Because of the way he has treated the media in the past, we can predict the way he will treat the media in the future. We said this before his first press conference at Bama. He was an ass to the media at LSU and an ass to the media in Miami. Sure enough, Nick Saban has been an ass to the media at Alabama.

Nick Saban has never had a coaching job for more than five years. Don't think that he's only left for better opportunities. Do you really think it was a better opportunity to go from the Miami Dolphins to UAT? He took a pay cut; it's a less glorified job (say what you will, but winning a Super Bowl is always better than winning an NC); and he's inherited a program that has had an enormous amount of problems over the past ten years. So, we can deduce that it's not only better coaching opportunities as to why he leaves programs. He leaves because he is not happy.

And please refrain from comparing Tuberville to Saban in any way. They are by no means similar. The Tuberville rumors are rampant, but he's only made one sudden coaching move in his career. He's been the head coach of TWO schools, and he's entering his tenth year at the same school. Saban broke the hearts of Michigan State, LSU, and Miami. It's pretty easy to think that Saban will break the hearts of Alabama.

As for the Washington rumors, they probably aren't true. But if it did happen, I wouldn't be surprised.

My own opinion on this is that besides recruiting, what is Nick Saban doing for Alabama? The off the field issues are embarrassing and the on the field results are lackluster. I'd rather see Nick Saban stay, and Auburn continue the streak even against the juggernaut that Saban is supposedly building. I sincerely believe it will be the end of the Alabama program - I'm talking biblical proportions.

PC....................You just COMPLETELY MADE UP MY MIND that you are a BAMMER! It's sort of like being gay. You know, you wake up one day and realize that you are gay, but are afraid to "come out of the closet"..........

I support you buddy! Go ahead and be a Bammer! That's where you belong! They will accept you! You're mom will still love you! :poke:B)

Talk down to people all you want, but $aban and Petrino has never shown any loyalty to any previous employer. $aban has never spent more than five years at ANY previous stop (including as an assistant), and Petrino is even more of a journeyman. You can go on thinking that those leopards have changed their spots all you want, but for me, the proof is in the pudding. I do think Bama will get back to being competitive. I do think $aban can get them there. I just don't think he'll be there in 2013. He gets wanderlust. He's a nomad. Once he's put Bama back on the map (or failed to do so) he'll leave because that's who he is and what he does. Petrino, on the other hand, will leave the moment he gets an offer from a more notable school. He's an ego-maniac... that's who he is and what he does.

I'm not saying $aban is going to UW. I'll probably never be the guy saying "this is the job he's going to take!" because I don't have inside information. I'm just saying it would be the height of silliness to pretend like he's all the sudden, after 30 years of relocating, going to become a guy who is comfortable sitting in one place for 20 years just because it's a good job. That's just not going to happen.

As for recruiting, I don't believe we've been as badly beaten as people think. I just don't. We'll see. No one has any idea who brought in better players last year or is bringing in better players this year. All anyone can do is speculate. Till Bama starts winning more, churning out quality men, and actually scaring people... I'll continue to say that we've outrecruited them.

You know, I am not just taking up for our coach, but to me Petrino is a bigger jerk than Saban. We have all come to the conclusion that coaches will lie about not leaving and then leave, but I think what he tried to do to Louisville and Tuberville was worse than just lying. If Auburn had openly offered him the job and he accepted that would have been one thing, but to do it in a sneaky manner was just terrible. I think that he was such a jerk to Tuberville, who had given him a job, to just go behind his back and do what he did. As a Bama fan, of course I am not a Tuberville supporter, but I don't think any coach should be done this way by another coach. Even if the school wanted to do it this way, he should have said No, we need to go thru the proper channels.

Well, if these rumors are indeed true, it would be a devastating blow to the University of Alabama's prestige.

Think about it. A top college coach goes into one of the more prominent football programs in America with a record salary, then walks away from it after two years because it's so dysfunctional.

I mean if you review the bidding, Alabama has chewed up and spit out every coach since the Bahr, including some pretty good ones. Let's see.

Perkins? A decided bust, but he was in the unenviable position of succeeding Bahr.

Curry? The guy has a 10-2 season and flees to Kentucky. Of course, the brick through his window might have motivated him.

Stallings? An excellent coach and a really good guy. Resigned, and nobody still knows the true story of what happened.

DuBose? A terrible pick. Alabama was right to fire him for his boneheaded coaching on the field and his off the field antics.

Franchione? A solid coach who basically fled the craziness at the Capstone to go to Texas A&M. Say what you will about his mediocre record at College Station, but he helped put a quality team back on the field in Tuscaloosa.

Price? Skip that. However, there's a lot to be said for the magnifying glass that football coaches are put under at Alabama. Basically any coach who isn't also an Eagle Scout will probably think twice before being subjected to that degree of scrutiny.

Shula? Again, the victim of the fickle mob at Tuscaloosa. Inherited a disaster, and stepped in to shoulder the load. Somehow, by some miracle, he managed to salvage a 10-2 season from the ashes, then got ridden out of town the next year. Heck, most Alabama fans aren't even content with simply saying, "Gosh, Mike just wasn't quite up to the job." Instead, they continue to heap abuse on the poor guy who really was a pretty good quarterback for them in the 1980s. I bet Sylvester Croom is wiping his brow and saying, "You know, I'm awfully happy up here in Starkville."

Now Saban, if the rumors are true, is eyeing the exits. Seattle is a pretty great place, and it's also somewhere he can actually drop by the Safeway to buy a six-pack without legions of fans chasing him with questions about the quarterback situation. I mean, if you really think about it, this guy was put through the wringer from the time he stepped off the plane through today. A lot of it he has deserved, but not all. So now, if he's looking for a place where he's not subjected to the 24/7 craziness of the Mullet Nation, who can really blame him?

What's more, if Saban walks away, what does that say to the rest of the college football community? He is universally acknowledged to be a quality coach (If not a very likable person). And if he can't hack in Tuscaloosa due to the bizarro world of Crimson Tahd football, what does that say to the rest of the coaches in his profession?

This is a joke, he ain't leaving for Washington. That being said, it's nice having a coach that people want! :)

What makes you think $abun wants to stay at uat? I was listening to Finebaum the other day and one of the sportswriter guests commented that $abun just doesn't seem "happy." I know it's a perception rather than a cold hard fact but still ... ... most successful people love what they do and will tell you straight off that they enjoy doing it and sometimes will say things like, "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this." So, the central question regarding these rumors ought to be: does CNS enjoy being the coach at Thugsaloosa? Has he said RTR in public yet? I'm sure he likes coaching football. That much is evident. But does he love coaching football at uat so much that he would foresake any other offers? If I'm a bammie fan and I really want to be honest with myself then I can't truthfully answer that question in the affirmative. Remember that Mama didn't call him to uat. A record-breaking contract was thrown to him like a lifeline to get him to leave Miami ahead of the circling sharks.

And what about the other rumor -- the one about something "bad" coming down the pike regarding recruiting? You bammies don't have a good track record when it comes to these issues do you. Of course, these are all just rumors and may not amount to anything, right? Then, again ... ...

Interesting article

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com...amp;slug=blai04

Thursday, November 4, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

E-mail article Print view

Blaine Newnham / Times associate editor

Emmert makes it a whole new game at UW

Perhaps it is being cauterized by the Rick Neuheisel affair, but I don't think the next Washington football coach has to be a big name.

Todd Turner, the athletic director, talked about making "an emphatic statement" with the hire.

As I see it, the need is for professionalism rather than pizzazz.

You know, a coach possessing the attention to detail that made Don James a great but unknown pick from Kent State, or Jeff Tedford, a faceless assistant at Oregon, the solution instead of the problem at Cal.

The ability to evaluate, recruit and motivate talent.

Decide if Dan Hawkins can do at Washington what he has done at Boise State, and hire him.

Mark Emmert, the president of the university, may have different ideas, however.

In all the discussion about the merits of the Washington job, the one that supersedes all others — from the walk through the tunnel to the views of Lake Washington — is the reputation of Emmert in the world of college athletes.

An athletic director at another Pac-10 school said that, given Emmert's track record, it wouldn't surprise him if Washington went after Steve Spurrier.

It's history that Emmert, in his first year at LSU, fired Gerry DiNardo with a game to go in the season and hired Nick Saban away from Michigan State.

It is not as well known that LSU interviewed Dennis Erickson, then at Oregon State, Minnesota's Glen Mason and Butch Davis of Miami before turning to Saban.

Those weren't offensive coordinators or Division I-AA coaches. They weren't of the Neuheisel Golden Boy division. They were experienced, football-first head coaches.

The search eventually moved to Memphis, where Emmert and his LSU staff met with Saban in the home of Saban's agent, Jimmy Sexton. It was a day after LSU's final regular-season game in 1999, a game in which the Tigers beat Arkansas under an interim coach.

By all accounts, Saban was impressive. He came with a legal pad full of questions and, according to Peter Finney of the Times-Picayune newspaper in New Orleans, outlined a plan to compete for an SEC championships within four years and a national championship shortly thereafter.

"Finally," wrote Finney, "after one brief period of silence, chancellor Mark Emmert spoke up. Looking straight at Saban, Emmert said: 'We want you to be LSU's next football coach.' "

There was no consultation, no committees.

Later, according to Finney, Emmert told his athletic director, "Don't negotiate (with Saban). Just ask him to name his price. What will it take?"

Emmert not only agreed to pay Saban $1.2 million but added a clause that said if his team won a national championship he would get one more dollar than the highest-paid coach at the time.

Things went so quickly that Saban was hired before December and didn't coach his Michigan State team in the Citrus Bowl.

Saban would later call Emmert the best boss for whom he had ever worked.

After LSU won a national title, Saban was offered the job coaching the Chicago Bears of the NFL.

Said Emmert in an interview with The New York Times at the time and just months before his move to Washington, "I tell antsy alumni all the time, 'Do you really want a coach no one else wants?' I tell him (Saban) all the time, 'I want you and I to grow old together.' "

Saban stayed at LSU, resisting the lure of the NFL. But Emmert couldn't resist the opportunity to return home — to Tacoma, where he grew up, and UW, where he went to school.

Emmert sees the big picture. He knows what football can do for the university and what a big-name coach could do for football in terms of recruiting and fund-raising.

Emmert watched Saban build a program. He knows how it is done. He approved an expenditure to improve academic services for athletes. All the while he was defending the money he had given Saban and the importance he had put on football.

"It's not just about football," Emmert told The Associated Press after LSU won a share of the national title last January. "It's about winning in everything.

"We need to convince Louisiana that if we can be first in football, we can be first in physics. It's being first in physics and chemical engineering and in English and in mathematics that's going to change the nature of Louisiana, not being first in football."

At LSU, he wanted a university to match his football team. Now he has a football team that needs to match its university.

The process will be interesting to follow, if you can keep up with it. Times at Montlake have changed.

Blaine Newnham: 206-464-2364 or bnewnham@seattletimes.com. More columns at www.seattletimes.com/columnists

Copyright © 2004 The Seattle Times Company

I'm not saying this solidifies any rumors, but add Saban to Washington as one of the many rumors that will arise over the next year.

I'm sure Saban isn't happy now. He likes to win, and we aren't doing that much yet. Once we start winning more, I think he'll be better.

I'm sure Saban isn't happy now. He likes to win, and we aren't doing that much yet. Once we start winning more, I think he'll be better.

Wow... I mean... wow...

And what Coach doesn't fall into that category? What person in life doesn't fit into that category?

So that article was written about a month before Saban left for the NFL. It is an interesting article, but if he was such a great boss, why didn't he go to UW in 2004 before taking the Dolphins job? Or why didn't he go to UW in 2007, when I am sure he could've fired Ty to get Saban. Again - working relationships can be key, but they don't mean everything. There are many factors that makes a person change his job. I'm still waiting to hear on a program that would be worth leaving Alabama for that will arise in the next couple of years.

From Tigerdroppings...

Wow. So Saban is going to Washington? Can't wait to tell everyone I know.

This is big news.

Just tell them the joke. I posted this "strictly" as "entertainment," nothing more. You kind of know football season is just around the corner when the silliness comes out.

From Tigerdroppings...

Wow. So Saban is going to Washington? Can't wait to tell everyone I know.

This is big news.

Just tell them the joke. I posted this "strictly" as "entertainment," nothing more. You kind of know football season is just around the corner when the silliness comes out.

PC has no sense of humor... B)

I don't see Saban leaving after this year, not for Washington or anywhere else. But I also don't see Saban retiring at Bama. You ask what other schools could come open. How about Penn State or FSU, both are on about equal footing with Bama name wise, but both would be much easier to compete for a NC year in and year out at, due to less competition in conference play. Or I think OSU could become available if that funny little man in the sweater vest finally wins another championship.

You seriously need to turn in your "Auburn Fan" badge there sport. If you're an Auburn fan, then I'm Nick Saban. If you seriously believe that Bama is sooooooooooo out 'crootin Auburn, then cheer for them. Please, for the love of God, quit posin as an Auburn fan, cause you are nothing of the sort. For the record, I'll take the guys we sign over the guys they sign every day and twice on Sundays. Judging high school talent is best left to the experts, and we are not the experts.

This is a joke, he ain't leaving for Washington. That being said, it's nice having a coach that people want! :)

Your right. It does feel good when Arky, aTm, LSU, Miami, Miami Dolphins, etc. are after your head man year after year after year. What feels even better is when he actually sticks around. ;)

Yea, you are right. I should claim Auburn has been outrecruiting Bama. I'm not bragging about it - I'm just pointing out the facts. And get it clear - I have made it obvious that I am not complaining about Tub's recruiting classes and that these classes are based on "rankings" alone.

Basically, you are stating that if someone claims LSU and UF as the recent NC's, they should just become LSU and UF fans. Maybe if I say LSU's knickname is the Tigers, you'll state I am an LSU fan as well. Apparently you like to argue with facts.

And trust me, I do have a sense of humor. I was just stating a case that I hear quite often - that Saban will be leaving Alabama soon and that he is not a great coach. I think it is clear that is just not the case and there is no evidence to support it otherwise.

Archived