Bobby Bright gets major endorsement

RunInRed

Republican Dothan Mayor Pat Thomas crossed the aisle today to endorse Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright’s Democratic bid for the 2nd Congressional District seat. Thomas is the John McCain campaign’s Mayoral Chair for the state of Alabama, has served on the Republican Executive Committee of Houston County, and says that he has never voted for a Democrat on a national level. Thomas was also a member of the Wiregrass’s "unofficial Congressional Selection Committee" that united early behind the candidacy of Republican state Sen. Harri Anne Smith in an effort to ensure that the next Representative from AL-02 was from the Wiregrass.

Dothan is the largest municipality in the district after Montgomery which itself is divided between the 2nd and 3rd Congressional Districts.

http://www.politicalparlor.net/wp/2008/08/...right-in-al-02/

Dothan is not only one of the critical population centers of the district (along with Bright's own base of Montgomery), but it is former Republican candidate Harri Anne Smith's hometown.

I like Bobby. Some criticize some of the troubles Montgomery has had, but this isn't an easy situation down here and overall I think he's done well.

I'm inclined to vote for him partly because Jay Love couldn't keep his nose in his own business enough to not cast a "no" vote on the Gourmet Beer Bill in the state legislature this past session. That doesn't strike me as great judgment when I can walk into any grocery store and buy wine that's over 2 times stronger than the beers they currently allow anyway. Plus I didn't care for the nasty primary campaign he and Harri Anne Smith ran.

Bobby has done some good things, but he has made some downright idiotic decisions too. While in the process of renovating the riverfront, Bass Pro Shops wanted to open a shop on the riverfront with a ramp for testing out the boats. Bobby said no...now Bass Pro Shops has brought millions (in revenue and new business) to Prattville.

The rumor from people I am associated with that know him is that his wife's family bought a lot of land on the riverfront before the renovations were announced. They are wanting to hold that until it is done, and Bass Pro Shops wanted to buy it at the current value to build. If that's true, he put his own personal goals ahead of the city which he represents...not exactly the best example of public service.

I like Bobby. Some criticize some of the troubles Montgomery has had, but this isn't an easy situation down here and overall I think he's done well.

I'm inclined to vote for him partly because Jay Love couldn't keep his nose in his own business enough to not cast a "no" vote on the Gourmet Beer Bill in the state legislature this past session. That doesn't strike me as great judgment when I can walk into any grocery store and buy wine that's over 2 times stronger than the beers they currently allow anyway. Plus I didn't care for the nasty primary campaign he and Harri Anne Smith ran.

Look, Jay Love did not start the nasty campaigning. Harri Anne Smith did. I am not crazy about dirty campaigning myself, but I really couldn't see how he could not defend himself. I'm sorry he had to take the low road, but he didn't start it. It doesn't make it right, but does make it understandable.

I'll get an up and close look at Jay next week. I don't know him very well at the moment, but hope to get an idea of where he's coming from.

Montgomery has a lot of issues on the river. I'd love to see the grand ole' city back to being a centerpiece of the state.

Archived