Forbes sells out

quietfan

Well, no real surprise here, for Forbes it was about the money:

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/08/why_sa..._highlight.html

*****The Sept. 1 issue of Forbes Magazine featuring Saban on the cover sold out of Alabama's Books-A-Million stories in 10 minutes, according to a company news release. That led the book retailers to convince Forbes to reprint 10,000 copies of the magazine.
Wonder for how many of those buyers it was their first visit to a book store?

I am not lying when I say that I read this very thing on a bammer message board. They were asking where do you buy books, and can you get this "book" at Wal-Mart.

I could not believe my eyes when they started telling him you can buy most magazines you want to buy at gas stations and Wal-Mart.

So, did it sell out all across the country, or just in the country stores around Central Alabama?

Only in the Piggly Wigglys and Jet-Peps across the state. Shockingly, though, they still have the HBA shelves full of soap and toothpaste. :P

It is humorous to see the bammers rushing out to buy a magazine that most have no idea what it is. I'll bet the workers at the book stores could tell some great stories.

"Umm, I hear to get one of them "Fore biz" magazines"

"Will you take deez pennies in the rawl or do I'z need to unrawl dem"

" I want me one of dem 4 bits magazines"

Well, I am sure that national marketers are delighted to have a 2nd icon they can put on magazines and lunchboxes that the bammers will buy like this. Expect to see Saban on front of everything from cereal boxes to cologne.

The Saban lunchbox would be hilarious, though. I think I will start a company just to make Saban lunchboxes. Plastic lunch box (w/Thermos)...on the front a (enlarged) pic of Saban with a caption that says "Most Powerful Lunch Evar"

I suscribe to Forbes. When I took it out of my mailbox, I immediately threw it it in the garbage and told Forbes to cancel my subscription since they had lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Not that it's Saban but to suggest he is the contry's most powerful coach is incredible. Biggest liar would be more appropriate. I can't think of any coach right off hand who is a bigger liar.

The Saban lunchbox would be hilarious, though. I think I will start a company just to make Saban lunchboxes. Plastic lunch box (w/Thermos)...on the front a (enlarged) pic of Saban with a caption that says "Most Powerful Lunch Evar"

The eyes on cns would have to be like those on a doll or stuffed animal that roll/move when you move the lunch box. cns has the most shifty eyes I have ever seen - he can not look at you direcetly without his eyes wandering all over the place.

:roflol: Man that's funnier than 92,000 at a scrimmage game! :roflol: This saban worship is somthing to see. I would really be ashamed if I were a bama fan.

Just wait until they turn on him in about 2-3 years. It will be of gigantic proportions...and great fun for the rest of the college football world...

:roflol: Man that's funnier than 92,000 at a scrimmage game! :roflol: This saban worship is somthing to see. I would really be ashamed if I were a bama fan.

Why would you be ashamed? If your coach were on a magazine cover, would you not buy it? I did not buy the magazine, but I did read the article on line, and didn't feel the need to purchase. I thought the picture was terrible. Maybe I am too close, but I just don't see it as worship. I believe in supporting our coach and I don't care who it is. I supported Shula and Fran, so I will support Saban. If I want to go to A game, I will go. If I want to purchase a magazine with an article about Coach Saban, I will. What is the deal about 92,000 fans being at the scrimmage game? How many times does it have to be said? It was a beautiful day, there were other things going on in Tuscaloosa that day, it was free, so why not walk on over to the stadium for an hour. If we want to show our coach that we support him and our players, then so be it. The number at the A game was the most significant showing of support of our coach, and I guess the most significant showing of support for your coach was getting on a plane to Louisville.

Why would you be ashamed? If your coach were on a magazine cover, would you not buy it? I did not buy the magazine, but I did read the article on line, and didn't feel the need to purchase. I thought the picture was terrible. Maybe I am too close, but I just don't see it as worship. I believe in supporting our coach and I don't care who it is. I supported Shula and Fran, so I will support Saban. If I want to go to A game, I will go. If I want to purchase a magazine with an article about Coach Saban, I will. What is the deal about 92,000 fans being at the scrimmage game? How many times does it have to be said? It was a beautiful day, there were other things going on in Tuscaloosa that day, it was free, so why not walk on over to the stadium for an hour. If we want to show our coach that we support him and our players, then so be it. The number at the A game was the most significant showing of support of our coach, and I guess the most significant showing of support for your coach was getting on a plane to Louisville.

apples and oranges...The two don't compare. First you reference the "fans" of your program supporting the coach by showing up for a scrimmage, then compare that to a trip by a few BOT members and administration members. Totally not comparable. What you conveniently overlook is the thousands of letters that auburn "FANS" wrote to the administration that not only showed OVERWHELMING SUPPORT for tuberville, but led to the resignation of our AD (thank god) and the president of the university. That is support for a coach. Comparing your "fans" support to a plane ride by auburn bot and administration members isn't valid. nice try though

Non-sequitur

Well there is a little bit of drift... I thought the thread was about $aban, my mistake.

I guess the point is that a good chunk of your fans, I'm not saying all or even most, but a lot of them seem to be more supportive of your coach than of your program as a whole.

Tell me my perception is wrong, because it sure looks that way to me.

Just saying...

Non-sequitur

Well there is a little bit of drift... I thought the thread was about $aban, my mistake.

I guess the point is that a good chunk of your fans, I'm not saying all or even most, but a lot of them seem to be more supportive of your coach than of your program as a whole.

Tell me my perception is wrong, because it sure looks that way to me.

Just saying...

The thread may have been about Saban, but the post stated that Alabama fans should be ashamed. I can honestly say that I have NEVER been ashamed of my team or to let anyone know that I am a Bama fan.

Some players may have done things that I am not exactly proud of them for doing, and we have lost some really embarassing games, but that did not make me feel ashamed. To me a fan is someone that supports the team win or lose. Maybe there are some Bama fans that take the Saban thing too far, but to them when they support him they feel that they are supporting the team. I play up the Saban thing here in my office, because I have a co-worker that is an Auburn fan, and it seems to get on his nerve. Last October I told him that I was leaving early, because there was a birthday party for Coach Nick that I just had to make. I was just kidding, but he went on for 30 minutes about it.

I was leaving the office last Friday afternoon, and I just stuck my head in to say bye and have a good week-end, and he had to ask me if I was leaving to go out and buy the magazine. I told him no, and that I had read it on line, and even on company time. He started in about how obsessed we are with Saban. He said how embarassing it would be for Bama if Saban never won a National championship here, because he has promised that we would. Is Auburn embarassed? Coach Tuberville promised one when he came to Auburn. I fell that I was more obsessed about Coach Shula and wanting him to do well than I have ever been about Coach Saban. I think that Saban is a good coach and he could do well here, and I hope that he does, but the only coach that I can ever imagine being obsessed about is Coach Bryant. I feel that is because of how long he was here, and how much he loved the University, and Coach Stallings would be a close second for the same reasons.

So I as one Bama fan am neither ashamed nor obsessed.

Why would you be ashamed? If your coach were on a magazine cover, would you not buy it? I did not buy the magazine, but I did read the article on line, and didn't feel the need to purchase. I thought the picture was terrible. Maybe I am too close, but I just don't see it as worship. I believe in supporting our coach and I don't care who it is.

For me, it's not that Bama fans might be interested or want to see the article. I'd probably be interested in a similar article on Tommy Tuberville. ...might even read the Forbes/Saban article if I run into it at a neighbor's house or the dentist's office (hopefully after the nitrous :rolleyes: ) I don't fault you for reading it, and applaud you for not making a special purchase just because of the cover story.

The laughable part, to me, is that ALL Books-A-Million stores in the entire state sold out..IN TEN MINUTES! :lol: What was this, the newest volume of Harry Potter, or tickets for a resurrected Beatles reunion? And when was the the last Forbes had to print 10,000 extra copies for the state of Alabama?

...SOLD OUT IN TEN F*#%IN' MINUTES!? What, did half the Bammers in the state take off work? That's some serious, full-blown, no-holds-barred, bobo-honking idol worship, right there. I expect a large surge at maternity wards in nine months from people who were inspired to go home and conceive their own little "Nicholas Lou" namesake that night!

Well, no real surprise here, for Forbes it was about the money:

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/08/why_sa..._highlight.html

*****The Sept. 1 issue of Forbes Magazine featuring Saban on the cover sold out of Alabama's Books-A-Million stories in 10 minutes, according to a company news release. That led the book retailers to convince Forbes to reprint 10,000 copies of the magazine.
Wonder for how many of those buyers it was their first visit to a book store?

The way I read the title is not "sells out" as in sells all the magazines, but "sells out" as in goes for the almightly dollar instead of printing information that means anything. I have lost any admiration I ever had for Forbes as a quality magazine.

I wonder about the accuracy of that press release. I saw them in a BAM late Friday afternoon in Daphne, and there wasn't a line of people waiting to pick it up. Still, it's pretty crazy that the demand was so wild for it.

Circa 2012:

Yard Sale: Alabama Fan items for sale. 2008 Forbes Magazine, mint condition, never been read. Has article on our former coach Nick F'in Saban...

I suscribe to Forbes. When I took it out of my mailbox, I immediately threw it it in the garbage and told Forbes to cancel my subscription since they had lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. Not that it's Saban but to suggest he is the contry's most powerful coach is incredible. Biggest liar would be more appropriate. I can't think of any coach right off hand who is a bigger liar.

THEY'LL GO UNDER NOW!!!!!!!1

The eyes on cns would have to be like those on a doll or stuffed animal that roll/move when you move the lunch box. cns has the most shifty eyes I have ever seen - he can not look at you direcetly without his eyes wandering all over the place.

That is simply hilarious.

We really should do this. Make a Saban lunchbox. We could sell them with the Saban belt buckles, Nick Saban line fishing lures, and 12" Saban survival knives at truckstops across Tuscaloosa.

The thread may have been about Saban, but the post stated that Alabama fans should be ashamed. I can honestly say that I have NEVER been ashamed of my team or to let anyone know that I am a Bama fan.

Good you have indentified the problem, step two is fixing it.

That is simply hilarious.

We really should do this. Make a Saban lunchbox. We could sell them with the Saban belt buckles, Nick Saban line fishing lures, and 12" Saban survival knives at truckstops across Tuscaloosa.

I am willing to assist in it. We could make a fortune.

Archived