New Student Union *Pics Inside*

Auburn 6

I promised pics in the other thread, but I decided to just start a new one since more people will check this instead of the old thread. I went out in tropical storm Fay yesterday to get these, so I hope you guys appreciate them. That's also why they're not the best quality, especially the outside ones. I can try to take some more through the week if anybody wants a pic of something specific.

This is one of the main hallways. Outtakes is like a little general store type place

NewStudentUnion001.jpg

Layout of all three floors

NewStudentUnion002.jpg

Layout of the 1st floor

NewStudentUnion003.jpg

The area on the left is the "Game Room", but there is nothing in there right now. The doors to the right are to Au Bon Pain, they have some really good food.

NewStudentUnion004.jpg

This is another of the dining areas, on the right is Chick Fil A and on the left is Mama Leone's, a pizza and pasta place

NewStudentUnion005.jpg

This is from the side near the main entrance on the 2nd floor. It's mainly just a large dining area and some desks to do homework at. In the large glass case is a very old Aubie suit. To the left is the Help Desk.

NewStudentUnion006.jpg

This is a not so good pic of another of the dining areas. I'm up against the door so it's the best I could do. To the left is Starbucks, to the right is Coyote Jack's, it's a burger place.

NewStudentUnion007.jpg

Another view of the main room on the 2nd floor.

NewStudentUnion008.jpg

Straight ahead is The Chef's Table, it's as close to home cooked food as you'll find on campus. Right next to it on the left is Olo Sushi. To the right is Copy Cat

NewStudentUnion009.jpg

This is a pic of part of the side of the building. I'm standing in the doorway to Haley Center, just trying to put it into perspective but taking it from there, and including part of the stadium in it.

NewStudentUnion010.jpg

This picture is taken from the sidewalk next to the stadium. Haley Center is just to the left, but I left it out of the picture.

NewStudentUnion011.jpg

I have really enjoyed the new Student Center so far, but there is really a problem with the lack of seating. Also, with all of the new freshman being forced to buy a meal plan, lines are out the door at most eateries, and I had to wait 20 minutes in line for an $8 cheeseburger and onion rings.

I have really enjoyed the new Student Center so far, but there is really a problem with the lack of seating. Also, with all of the new freshman being forced to buy a meal plan, lines are out the door at most eateries, and I had to wait 20 minutes in line for an $8 cheeseburger and onion rings.

If they got your order right that beats my last twenty trips to any fast food place in H'ville.

Here are some better pics of the outside. I just went and took them today.

Here is a pic from the Concourse between the Upper Quad and Haley. A bit of Jordan-Hare can be seen to help with reference

NewStudentUnion012.jpg

Here is the view of the front from the street that splits the upper and lower quad. For reference, my back is to Teague Hall, and the football stadium is behind the Student Union, Haley is to the right. Basically the same spot as the pic above

NewStudentUnion013.jpg

Here is the view from that parking deck across from the football stadium. The baseball field would be behind me. I left a tiny bit of the stadium in view and Haley Center can be seen for reference

NewStudentUnion014.jpg

This pic is the "other front". My back is against a gate to the football stadium for reference. Haley is just to the left and the Quads would be behind the Union in this view.

NewStudentUnion015.jpg

Basically the same place as above, just a bit of a different view

NewStudentUnion016.jpg

Thanks for the pix!

It looks like a real Student Union now-a-days (well, your typical one these days).

I wish it was there while I was there, but oh well.

I didn't realize they were forcing meal plans for students. Is it only if you live on-campus, or must all freshmen get meal plans? When I was a freshman in '02 it was optional and when I was a student recruiter between '05 and '07 it was still optional.

The meal plan was at Terrell Dining Hall and the Dining Dollars could be used anywhere. I don't like the sound of it.

I look forward to checking it out, possibly as early as this weekend!! Hell yes

Im hoping the AU bookstore will be open in the new location this fall.

It's pretty much right inside that entrance that faces the stadium. I think it's going to be called the den or something like that. I saw it the other day and not much at all had been done in there so I don't know when they plan to open.

I think all freshman have to get a meal plan and next year when the village opens I think all are required to live on campus, unless for some reason dorms fill up.

And I think the "game room" isn't going to be like an arcade or anything like that. I was thinking more along the lines of board games or clubs with games like that to have a place to meet.

Oh and about the seating. There is seating everywhere you look, I don't know if they could have fit much more in there without it being incredibly crowded. I think it's just really busy right now because it's new and everyone is going to check it out. Plus it's a much better place to go to than Foy was. When we were putting in the chairs before it opened we thought there was a ton of seating everywhere. It just seems like there is a lack of seating because it is being used sooo much right now.

I just wanna know who put Aubie in a glass box? He doesn't look very happy in there.

Aubie was in a glass box in the other foy...

Have they done away with the food court at Foy? or is it still in use?

Foy food court is currently closed. That combined with the fact that everybody is still checking out the new Student Union, and that freshmen are required to buy meal plans (didn't know that until now) has created huge traffic jams during the lunch times following clases. It's very crowded around lunch times once classes get out. I try to avoid it at those times and just go during a time that classes are in session but I have a free period. It's interesting that freshmen are required to purchase a meal plan, I'm not really a fan of that. I'm a Junior right now and my freshman year I lived in the upper quad so I had a meal plan since I ate at Foy, Terrell, and Sewell a lot. Last year and this year I never purchased a meal plan or dining dollars or tiger club since I'm eating at home and off campus a lot more, I just put all the money in my checking/debit account and pay as I go at places.

Aubie was in a glass box in the other foy...

Have they done away with the food court at Foy? or is it still in use?

I know that I just wanna know who put him in there? He still doesn't look very happy - probably because he's been in there so long. Then again, I probably wouldn't be happy about being in a glass box no matter how long the time.

I think the forced meal plan is so that they can invest in better eating options and restaurants because there's a guarantee of use or at least the money. Since I'm not a freshman anymore, I don't really care much. I can say that I wouldn't have liked it though. Instead of a meal plan, my dad just put some money in an account to be used as "dining dollars". It's different in that you spend the amount of money a meal, etc costs instead of having a certain number of "meals". It's usually more at places like Terrell where you can spend $8+ on the buffet etc. The thing is I ate in my room a lot more than I ever ate at one of the dining places. Mainly because its a lot healthier and cheaper. I still rarely eat on campus - sometimes pick up some chick-fil-a on my way out if I'm in the mood. I usually just make myself something at home.

Nice pics, things have changed since '97. It does look to be a big improvement over Foy. As to the meal plan, AU switched from Sedexo (sp?) to Chartwells late last year to provide on campus dining and the forced meal plan may be a way to gaurantee sales for the new company as well as for the University. Starting fall semester '08 Freshmen will have to pay $995 per semester if living on campus and $395 I believe it is if living off campus for the meal plan with the intentions of all students being on meal plan by fall 2011. Also as mentioned AU is moving towards requiring all Freshmen to live on campus with the opening of the new dorms.

I didn't realize they were forcing meal plans for students. Is it only if you live on-campus, or must all freshmen get meal plans? When I was a freshman in '02 it was optional and when I was a student recruiter between '05 and '07 it was still optional.

You were a student recruiter?

You were a student recruiter?

:roflol: I was wondering the same thing

Also, if we are now forcing students to eat all this food, be prepared for your child to gain not the freshman 15, but the freshman 50. There are nearly ZERO healthy options!!

I see there is a new bookstore. Is the one in Haley still open? They just renovated it like a year and a half ago. Are they gonna keep two that close to each other?

I see there is a new bookstore. Is the one in Haley still open? They just renovated it like a year and a half ago. Are they gonna keep two that close to each other?

The bookstore is still in its normal location and probably will be for a while. It might be the end of the semester before they move just because that's a lot of stuff. I doubt the Haley store will still exist after this. Whatever renovations they did they weren't major. It still looks pretty much the same as it always has.

The bookstore is still in its normal location and probably will be for a while. It might be the end of the semester before they move just because that's a lot of stuff. I doubt the Haley store will still exist after this. Whatever renovations they did they weren't major. It still looks pretty much the same as it always has.

The new one is not an actual full scale bookstore. It's in a much smaller area than the current bookstore. The new one will be primarily for apparel and maybe some school supplies. I think it is actually taking the place of Strictly Business (the small bookstore in Lowder) which has been shut down and is no longer there. The current bookstore will continue to be the main campus bookstore for awhile I would guess. That would be the dumbest thing ever to renovate a year before they knew there was going to be a new one.

Edit: The renovations were actually pretty major. They put in a brand new tile floor and most of the shelving is new. If you saw it while they were renovating you would have noticed some major changes.

The new student union is awesome!! I was at Auburn from 2001 - 2005 and I could only dream of having something like that while I was there. This is a huge imporvement over Foy.

My youngest sister is there now and can remember going with me to Foy a couple of times when she visited. She called me the other day to let me know how great the new student union is and how much she loved it. It's nice to be able to see some pictures describing her enthusiasm!!

What's happening to Foy now?

I can't wait to get down there this weekend and check out what's been going on since I've been gone!! WAR EAGLE!!

Auburn6, thanks so much for braving the bad weather to get us pics of the new student union. I won't be in Auburn until the LSU game, so I was very happy to get some idea of how it looked before then.

My first impression is that it looks pretty good and is a big improvement over Foy (where I hardly ever wanted to just hang out). The food options are a lot better than when I was in school (mid to late 90's). I do have to say that it looks a little low on personality, both inside and out. The exterior is nice, but a little bland. I like the tower on one side, but aside from that it just looks like a new, big, brick building. And inside you can't even tell that it is an Auburn building except for the Aubie suit and the eagle statue. Maybe there will be some more "finishing" touches that will add. Seems like a nice place that is low on "wow" factor.

I'd be very interested to hear what current students think about it.

Archived