ACC.....seriously

Justin5

VA tech barely up on ECU

NC St. blown out by USC

If Clemson loses tonight they might as well pack up and just play basketball. How can a conference with this much money and great media markets be so bad??

UPDATE: ECU blocks punt, now leads 27-22. Pathetic ACC...pathetic.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Southern Cal is destroying UVA.

Wake beat Baylor...nevermind. The ACC is looking pretty average this year, if Clemson doesn't win it then Tommy Bowden needs to leave.

hopefully clemson smokes bama

Hope so too, but the ACC is looking weak so far. Too early to tell, though - maybe USC and USC are going to have great seasons, and ECU, too. I'm glad I don't have a bet tonight.

Clemson beating bama will not help the ACC much this year...its pretty much a must win for the ACC. The supposed best team losing to the SEC's #6 team? They can't let that happen and keep ANY respect.

having lived in ACC country for about 6 years, i'm enjoying their mediocrity in football quite a bit. i mean, WAKE won their conference 2 years ago...

i'm almost to the point of pulling for the turds tonight just to continue the ACC's misery.

almost, but not really.

Clemson beating bama will not help the ACC much this year...its pretty much a must win for the ACC. The supposed best team losing to the SEC's #6 team? They can't let that happen and keep ANY respect.

:ua: is de-pantsing Clemsuck. It is not even a good game. Clemson has pulled one of those inexcusable trademark Tommy Bowden games where they show up totally unprepared. 23-3 Halftime Bama. The only thing good about that game is that it should expose the ACC for the mediocre bunch they are.

Let's be real, how bad is the ACC really?

Can you think of any other league favorite (big 6 team or not) to be blown out by a middle of the road SEC team (granted bama may be better but still)?

The ACC is officially the worst BCS conference. Congratulations. There will be a party in week 2. There was still some doubt about whether the Big East had passed you after last season, but now things are clear.

FYI Bama is middle of the road SEC. That doesn't mean anything about their standing nationally, but there's still 5 SEC teams ahead of them.

PS See ya later Tommy

wow, the ACC has redefined suckdom for all mankind, and have boldly gone where no conference has gone before, i honestly believe they may have to worry about being passed by the sun belt conference and conference USA.

When the ACC added VT, BC, and Miami, I was sure that the they were on their way to overtaking the SEC as the dominant football conference. I am, obviously, an idiot. How did they drop so quickly. Even if you say that those three were never as good as advertised, you still have to explain why the Big East seems better without the teams that dominated the conference for a decade. It's very strange.

Just for fun, go to the ACC website. There are four top stories on the front page, they are BC beating Kent State (21-0), Duke beating James Madison (31-7), UNC beating NcNeese State (35-27), and Maryland beating Delaware (14-7). Just sad.

www.theacc.com

Remeber those doofuses from unc and other schools who came to the board after the big acc merger bragging how they would be the #1 conference? That is just funny. The opposite has happened and it didn't take long.

I'm going to stick up for the ACC.

Sort of.

It's not the conference's fault that all of these teams suck. Technically, this conference should be just as strong as the SEC. Maybe not as strong, but almost as strong.

Similar to the SEC, you can divide the teams up into tiers.

Top tier:

Miami, FL

Florida St

Virginia Tech

Clemson

Middle Tier:

Boston College

North Carolina St

Virginia

Maryland

Georgia Tech

Bottom Tier:

Duke

Wake Forest

North Carolina

The top tier teams pull in incredible talent. They have the facilities to help develop talent. They also have the money to hire top coaches. They should be competing for the ACC championship every year.

The middle tier teams pull in decent talent. They have nice facilities, but they don't have the allure to attract big time coaches. They may have a championship year, but it's rare.

The bottom tier teams pull in very little talent. They have subpar facilities, and they're basketball schools. What Jim Grobe is doing at Wake Forest is honestly one of the most amazing coaching jobs of all time. Notice how Butch Davis can't even turn North Carolina around.

The problem with the ACC right now is this:

Larry Coker

Bobby Bowden

Tommy Bowden

Al Groh

Chan Gailey

Chuck Amato

I know some of those coaches have already gone, but they ran their programs into the dirt. Coker lost all discipline control; Bowden is decrepit; Tommy Bowden is a moron; Al Groh has lost it; Chan Gailey was vanilla; and Amato couldn't get the job done. Once these big time schools get some quality coaches in, the ACC will turn around. As for now, they'll be the laughing stock of the country.

Archived