Byrum

PowerI

He should get a shot next year, but kickers are crazy and they rarely snap out of a funk mid-season.

I said it last year and I have said it after every kick this year:

If we kicked from between the hashes, Byrum would perhaps be perfect on the season. When will the coaches learn this? I realize I am an engineer, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that Byrum is like 10-20% from the hashes.

And it hasn't always been with Byrum. Definitely was the case with Vaughn. And I think Duval in his senior season as well.

What do you expect from a kicker after the head coach turns the heaters off in a very cold climate?

Are you kidd'n......give me a break.....should of turned the damn air off

Lay off the kicker. If you can't get first downs or stop one player on the other team from rushing 200 yards single-handedly on you, then the kicker is the least of your worries.

We could have the best kicker in the world with a robotic leg out there hitting them from 70 yards and how is that going to help in a 34-17 loss?

Wes Byrum's Head is not in the game, or working on his game period......

if a kicker can't kick from the hashes, he cant play.... what do you expect us to do sacrifice 3rd down in the redzone to get the ball in the middle and settle for a field goal???

after last year he thought he was the next ADAM VENETARI and obviously hasnt worked on his game and his head is not in his game.... PLAIN and SIMPLE

What do you expect from a kicker after the head coach turns the heaters off in a very cold climate?

Are you kidd'n......give me a break.....should of turned the damn air off

Are YOU kidding?

How do you expect our young players to perform in 30º weather with NO heat whatsoever? While the head coach is sitting on the sideline in a big comfy jacket that swallows him whole. If he wanted to send a message by FREEZING everyone to death, he should've taken off HIS damn coat.

Of course you did. You are 100% correct on everything. Whatever you post is golden. If you were in charge of our offense we would be 100-0 right now even though we have only played 8 games this year.

Of course you did. You are 100% correct on everything. Whatever you post is golden. If you were in charge of our offense we would be 100-0 right now even though we have only played 8 games this year.

Pretty much... yup

I just love stating when I am right after everyone claims everything I state is stupid and that I know zero about football. Yet, I am hardly ever proven wrong. What can I say... prove me wrong some times and I will admit it. It's rare, but I will state when I am wrong. The only time I can think of is when my buddy told me how good Chris Todd was after the ULM game and that we would excel in the USM game. I disagreed, but he was right. Rare - but I can admit it. But that's pretty much all I have been wrong about this year. Well that... and the fact that I predicted we would be a LOT better than 4-4 to start the season. But as the season has gone on, I've been pretty right on in each aspect of the game.

Well, crap. I read your post and I knew I shouldn't have.

You are WRONG if you think our kicker would have made a difference in a 34-17 loss. How many did he miss? How many points per miss were lost?

I know exactly how many he missed, but let's say he missed FIVE. We still lose 34-32. His kicking had NO IMPACT on the game tonight.

LAY OFF THE DARN KICKER. He's easy to point a finger at. Go beat him out for his spot, and then you can run your mouth.

Pretty much... yup

I just love stating when I am right after everyone claims everything I state is stupid and that I know zero about football. Yet, I am hardly ever proven wrong. What can I say... prove me wrong some times and I will admit it. It's rare, but I will state when I am wrong. The only time I can think of is when my buddy told me how good Chris Todd was after the ULM game and that we would excel in the USM game. I disagreed, but he was right. Rare - but I can admit it. But that's pretty much all I have been wrong about this year. Well that... and the fact that I predicted we would be a LOT better than 4-4 to start the season. But as the season has gone on, I've been pretty right on in each aspect of the game.

You're a legend in your own mind.

I know it gets said from time to time, but I'd love it if you'd really go find another board to haunt. Your schtick is just old and tired here. And if you think it's because you're right all the time, you're delusional.

Pretty much... yup

I know it gets said from time to time, but I'd love it if you'd really go find another board to haunt. Your schtick is just old and tired here. And if you think it's because you're right all the time, you're delusional.

Looks like a little jealousy...

Pretty much... yup

Looks like a little jealousy...

Yeah. That's it.

Go beat him out for his spot then.

We lost 34-17, did not score in the 2nd half, let one guy run 200+ yards on us mostly in the middle of the field, averaged about 4 yards-after-contact on Defense...and all you guys got is "our kicker hooks his kicks"?

Weak.

Everybody screamed KODI KODI KODI. I called them out for foolishly believing "the other guy" will save the day. Now KB is in, and you can't scream that anymore, so now you are jumping on the kicker, who had ZERO affect on this 34-17 loss. We lost because he hooked the kickoff.

The TEAM lost the game. Lay off the kicker. Move on to your next target so I can call you out on that one too.

You are WRONG if you think our kicker would have made a difference in a 34-17 loss. How many did he miss? How many points per miss were lost?

I know exactly how many he missed, but let's say he missed FIVE. We still lose 34-32. His kicking had NO IMPACT on the game tonight.

LAY OFF THE DARN KICKER. He's easy to point a finger at. Go beat him out for his spot, and then you can run your mouth.

I am with ya PC...... Lay off the kickers? Give me a break when you can't kick an extra point you deserve to feel the heat. Everytime our offense has put something together similar to a drive and stalled we have come away with nothing in critical situations. The kicker is about 50% on the season and several of the kicks were within 40 yards.

I am with ya PC...... Lay off the kickers? Give me a break when you can't kick an extra point you deserve to feel the heat. Everytime our offense has put something together similar to a drive and stalled we have come away with nothing in critical situations. The kicker is about 50% on the season and several of the kicks were within 40 yards.

34-17 and you are blaming the kicker? Why don't you blame Noel Devine or Pat White? They were the ones gashing our defense play after play. Why don't you blame Tim Hawthorne for letting first-down balls bounce off his hands when he was uncovered?

No. You think the kicker bears the blame for the loss? He did not look fabulous, but we lost 34-17 man, not 20-17.

This is exactly the same as KODI KODI KODI early in the season. You just want someone to point a finger at. The same reason lynch mobs stormed the town jail and hung the cattle rustler in the old west. They just need that one person to take their angst out on.

I understand it man, believe me. But we lost 34-17 and the kicker had no impact on that.

(And BTW, I am taking my angst out on people harping on the kicker! :poke::) )

34-17 and you are blaming the kicker? Why don't you blame Noel Devine or Pat White? They were the ones gashing our defense play after play. Why don't you blame Tim Hawthorne for letting first-down balls bounce off his hands when he was uncovered?

No. You think the kicker bears the blame for the loss? He did not look fabulous, but we lost 34-17 man, not 20-17.

This is exactly the same as KODI KODI KODI early in the season. You just want someone to point a finger at. The same reason lynch mobs stormed the town jail and hung the cattle rustler in the old west. They just need that one person to take their angst out on.

I understand it man, believe me. But we lost 34-17 and the kicker had no impact on that.

PC's comment wasn't directly related to this game from the way I took it. I basically read it as Byrum struggles kicking from the hash which is the honest truth. The point is that kicking is one of many things killing us this year. We are horrible on so many phases of the game. When your offense puts a drive together or your defense gets you good field position and you consistently come away with no points it plays with the mindset of the overall team. I am not sure how much football you have played but when your on the field with 7 minutes left it is much easier to play for 7 points rather than 10.

I don't think Byrum was to blame, but it is one of those situation where key moments in a game shift the confidence and momentum to one team and away from the other. After they stormed back to take the lead, we NEEDED to answer. The offense finally got it's head out of its butt and put together a drive of about 50 yards to get into FG range. A made kick ties the game and gives the offense some confidence. A miss deflates them, pumps up WVU and puts even more pressure on our defense. That was a key moment.

But I actually think a bigger key came earlier. We go up 17-3 and recover the onside kick. If we go down and put an TD on the board to go up 24-3, that starts to change WVU's game plan. Even a FG would have put more pressure on them. But we go 3 and out and get a lousy punt and WVU is rejuvenated.

Again, if you look at the score, these are only two plays and you can say we still lose by a TD even if we hit that FG and score a TD after the onside kick. But plays like that change the course of the game because it affects confidence, momentum and strategy. They are bigger in the grand scheme of things than the play looked at in isolation from the game context would indicate.

I'm not blaming Byrum at all for losing this game, or any game for that matter. Similar to what Titan said - kicking can play a big role in momentum. Yes, our offense is BAD, but what is even worse is knowing that we can't even rely on a FG but 30% of the time. That is why people are calling Byrum out. I met the kid when he came for his official visit - the kid is a punk. I knew immediately he would be a cocky kid that would miss some kicks. Then he won the UF game and I was like "Wow, guess I was wrong. Nice to be wrong sometimes when it's for the better." Apparently that game and the Arkansas game really got the kid thinking he was the King. Now the kid can't kick his way out of a cardboard box.

When you have no kicking game, it hurts. Whether it directly affects the score or not.

No one is saying Byrum lost this game,what I'm saying is he's not doing a good job anymore.As far as taking his place if I was 21 again ???....I'm not that bad a field goal kicker....really.And they're tons more of them around the country that would jump at the chance.

Too bad he didn't kick onsides and recover it himself to give us a chance to win. :poke:

We ought to have a rule against downing our players on this forum, whatcha think? B)

Let me repeat something I posted on another thread:

There have been a couple of posts on this thread that were nothing other than personal attack rants on someone else. I've deleted them. They went far beyond the occasional name or insult that we typically will let go. Keep the gloves up folks.

Archived