how are we looking in tiebreaker scenarios

CarolinaTiger

anybody good enough to figure out if we still get the 2nd seed in the west if we finish 8-8 w/ MSU, Ole Miss and/or UA?

I realize this is a defeatist way of looking at things, but I'm just wondering.

anybody good enough to figure out if we still get the 2nd seed in the west if we finish 8-8 w/ MSU, Ole Miss and/or UA?

I realize this is a defeatist way of looking at things, but I'm just wondering.

All I know is we win the tiebreaker with MSU because we have swept them but I don't know how it would shake out with Ole Miss since we split or Bama if we happen to split.

Don't quote me on this but I think they look at record verse your division which would give us the tie breaker against everyone but bama I believe, but from there I don't know.

Don't quote me on this but I think they look at record verse your division which would give us the tie breaker against everyone but bama I believe, but from there I don't know.

Straight from the SEC Website...

For a two-team tie:

1. head-to-head; 2. division record (10 games); 3. record vs. No. 1 team in division proceeding through the No. 6 team if necessary; 4. non-division record (6 games); 5. record vs. No. 1 team in the opposite division proceeding through the No. 6 team if necessary; 6. coin flip by the Commissioner.

For a three-team tie:

1. Total won-lost record of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 - - Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three); 2. division record (10 games); 3. record vs. No. 1 team in division proceeding through the No. 6 team if necessary; 4. non-division record (6 games); 5. record vs. No. 1 team in the opposite division proceeding through the No. 6 team if necessary; 6. coin flip by the Commissioner.

Once a three-team tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreakers go in effect.

There are a lot of scenarios today but if we win Tuesday night it would give us the 2 seed outright. With 9 wins, the only other West team that could possibly match us would be Mississippi State who we already swept.

B)

As of today, the only two SEC west slots for sure are LSU at 1 and Arky at 6. 2 through 6 could turn into a mess if Auburn decides to lose two this week.

Remaining schedules:

Auburn - @ Bama, LSU

Alabama - Auburn, @ Tennessee

Ole Miss - @ Arkansas, Mississippi State

Mississippi State - Florida, @ Ole Miss

If we get in a three way tie with Bama and Ole Miss (meaning we go 0-2 this week, OM and Bama both go 2-0, and State goes 0-2 to finish 7-9), then Bama would be 3-1 against us and OM and get the 2 seed. Advantage :ua:

If we get in a three way tie with Bama and State (meaning we go 0-2 this week, Bama goes 2-0, State goes 1-1, and Ole Miss loses at least 1 game to finish 7-9), we would get the nod because we would be 3-1 against the other teams. Advantage :au:

If we get in a three way tie with Ole Miss and State (meaning we go 0-2 this week, Bama loses at UT next Sunday to finish 7-9, MSU goes 1-1, and Ole Miss goes 2-0), both us and Ole Miss would be 3-1 against the other two squads since we both swept Moo Stank and split against each other. Then it would move to a two team tie breaker where we get the nod since we would 6-4 against the West and they would be 5-5. Advantage :au:

If there were a four way tie with teams at 8-8 in SEC play (meaning we go 0-2, Bama goes 2-0, State goes 1-1, and Ole Miss goes 2-0), then Auburn and Bama would rise to the top due to 4-2 records against the other three teams in the group. Then it would be a two way tie against Auburn and Bama with identical conference records and divisional records and split head-to-head. Then you'd have to move to tie breaker #5 for the two team tie breakers, "5. record vs. No. 1 team in the opposite division proceeding through the No. 6 team if necessary". Since both Bama and Auburn would be swept by LSU, you would have to move down to the 4th team in the West which in this scenario would be Ole Miss. Bama swept them and we went 1-1, so Bama gets the nod. Advantage :ua:

If we get in a two way tie with Ole Miss (we lose out, Ole Miss wins out, MSU loses out, and Bama loses at least 1 game), we get the nod due to a better divisional record. Advantage :au:

If we get in a two way tie with MSU (either we lose out and they go 1-1 or we go 1-1 and they go 2-0), we go because of head to head. Advantage :au:

If we get in a two way tie with Bama (we lose out, Bama wins out, MSU loses out, and Ole Miss loses 1 game), then Bama would get the 2 seed due to the above scenario. Ole Miss would be the common opponent that made the difference since to get to this scenario they would have had to beat and sweep Moo Stank. Advantage Bama

Through all the above scenarios, a common theme is Auburn going 0-2. Win one game this week and we get the 2 seed no matter what due to a season sweep of MSU (and them being the only team that could still tie us in the standings). The only way Bama goes is if they force a two way tie with Auburn, a 3 way tie with AU and Ole Miss, or a 4 way tie. This requires Bama winning in Knoxville next weekend on senior day, which I feel will be difficult. No matter what, unless I missed something, Ole Miss has no shot of getting the 2 spot. And the only way State gets the 2 spot is if we go 0-2 and they go 2-0 this week.

Whew! That was a lot but I hope it answered some questions!

1 more thing of note!

Auburn, even if they lose out, could finish no worse than 3rd in the West. So they will be 2nd or 3rd.

Bama has a lot to lose or gain this week. They could finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th.

Mississippi State also could finish anywhere from 2nd to 5th.

Ole Miss will be 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

:big:

thanks 07...that's exactly what i was looking for. basically, we beat bama at their place, we're in! OR we beat lsu at our place...

given how well we showed up in baton rouge last week, i like our chances there.

Archived