Phelon Jones wants to come to Auburn

Would be a huuuuuuge pickup at DB

http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2009/04/phel...rring_from.html

Phelon Jones transferring from LSU, would like to come to Auburn

Posted by Evan Woodbery, Press-Register April 03, 2009 1:35 PM

Categories: Football

Courtesy LSU

Phelon JonesAUBURN -- Former Mobile prep standout Phelon Jones has received a release from LSU and hopes to transfer to Auburn, his father told the Press-Register Friday.

"He wants to come back home and we want him to come back home," said Tony Jones, an assistant coach at McGill-Toolen High, where his son was a star athlete." You only get to do this once, but if it all works out, he wants to go to Auburn."

Jones received his release from LSU this morning and faxed the paperwork to the Auburn compliance office, his father said. Jones hasn't discussed transferring with Auburn coaches, but left a message at the football office and hopes to arrange a visit next week.

"We followed the rules to the letter of the law," Tony Jones said.

Jones said his son enjoyed his time at LSU, where he redshirted in 2007 and started two games at cornerback in 2008.

"There's nothing wrong with LSU," the elder Jones said. "It's an outstanding team with good coaches."

Jones wants to transfer to Auburn because he had good experiences during his recruiting process three years ago, he respects head coach Gene Chizik and cornerbacks coach Phillip Lolley and he's been friends since childhood with Auburn safety Mike McNeil, his father said.

"He thinks a lot of of coach Chizik and coach Lolley," Tony Jones said.

Jones was one of the most highly ranked players in the state in the 2007 signing class. He was ranked third in the Press-Register's Elite 18 list of in-state stars. Rivals.com ranked him the 10th-best corner in the country, while Scout.com had him at No. 13. His father said he had offers from 53 Division I schools, including every SEC team.

The elder Jones said his son was qualified academically and had no academic, disciplinary or other issues while at LSU.

He plans to enroll at his new school in June for the summer academic session. He would have two seasons of eligibility remaining beginning in the 2010 season.

Even though we're getting pretty good depth in the secondary, I think he could probably come in and play from day 1. He'll have to sit out a year though.

If he makes it to Auburn, that just helps us focus more on recruiting OL and LB for next year.

Do we have a vacant scholarship for him? (I hope and presume so...)

How would he count in the 25/year limit, and for what year?

Do we have a vacant scholarship for him? (I hope and presume so...)

How would he count in the 25/year limit, and for what year?

He has to sit out a year, so the earliest he could play would be 2010. I'm assuming he would count against a scholarship for that year. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what would make the most sense to me. Then again, it's the NCAA we're working with here.

am I the only one that thought this was going to be about a wide receiver at a certain other school when I clicked on it (I assumed the phelon was mispelled)...

am I the only one that thought this was going to be about a wide receiver at a certain other school when I clicked on it (I assumed the phelon was mispelled)...

Yep, you're the only one. Who would even think of accepting that other Jones, the one with the Tuskaloser slime all over him? YUK!

Believe me; he wasn't bad. He was just caught-up in an influx of talented players in the secondary.

Wasn't he like 5th on LSU's depth? Damn LSU's loaded! :angry:

ITAT has a blurb about him possibly looking at Missouri. Anyone have anything on this?

ITAT has a blurb about him possibly looking at Missouri. Anyone have anything on this?

It makes sense that he'd be looking at a number of schools. According to the original article, he liked a lot about LSU and was only leaving there because of playing time.

He should probably sign with the new team at South Alabama. Couldn't they pretty much guarantee him playing time without him having to do a lot of work for it?

I really wish the kid well and all that, but I'm not very excited about this development. Should we be spending scholarships on players that aren't good enough to play at LSU when we need to beat LSU? I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

The silence from the Auburn coaches has been deafening ever since Jones expressed an interest in transferring to Auburn. The "no spot in 2010 scholarships" is a polite way to say we don't want you. With 7 commits, Auburn has 18 2010 spots left.

There's something here that our coaches don't like. Since we don't know what that something is, all we can do is trust the coaches.

There's something here that our coaches don't like. Since we don't know what that something is, all we can do is trust the coaches.

We dont know? I basically spelled it out a few weeks ago:

A) Phelon Jones is average, MAYBE slightly above average at best.

B) We have young corners on the roster now who are better plays, plus 1 if not 2 other JUCO corners who signed a few months ago.

Theres no point in taking another JUCO corner, especially when its one of our stronger positions and we have young talent there who Jones isn't even better than.

The silence from the Auburn coaches has been deafening ever since Jones expressed an interest in transferring to Auburn. The "no spot in 2010 scholarships" is a polite way to say we don't want you. With 7 commits, Auburn has 18 2010 spots left.

I agree with meta, this isn't some mystery or a hidden character flaw. They just think the ones we have and ones we're likely to sign are better than him.

Looks like we told him no. Heading to bammer?

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=938261 (premium article)

Troy.........

Yeah, I could not imagine how they would have room for him. It's quite comical how he comes out and names all these places without even checking with them first.

Looks like we told him no. Heading to bammer?

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=938261 (premium article)

Troy.........

Yeah, I could not imagine how they would have room for him. It's quite comical how he comes out and names all these places without even checking with them first.

or getting his release from lsu to talk to those schools. lsu had not given them his release to talk to uat or troy at the time.

Archived