Phelon Jones wants to come to Auburn

Looks like we told him no. Heading to bammer?

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=938261 (premium article)

Troy.........

Yeah, I could not imagine how they would have room for him. It's quite comical how he comes out and names all these places without even checking with them first.

I'll say the same opinion I had when word was he was trying to get in to AU:

1. There is no way in hell LSU is going to release him to anybody in the SEC West. Period. I don't even see them releasing him to anybody in the SEC.

2. The kid was third string in the most recent spring drill he participated in like last month or something. We're past the point of "well he was a highly ranked player out of HS" because he has played at the college level now and he apparently just doesn't have the skills they thought he had. He has proven what he can or cannot do. I really don't know what UA or AU would want with a third string DB from LSU.

Now, what will be interesting to see is if he just enrolls at Alabama and pays his own way for a year and then tries to get a walk-on invite or what. I would imagine he could get around that whole release thing that way, but I'm not certain. Either way, I don't really see it happening. I think the paying his own way deal is a longshot.

Troy.........

Yeah, I could not imagine how they would have room for him. It's quite comical how he comes out and names all these places without even checking with them first.

1. There is no way in hell LSU is going to release him to anybody in the SEC West. Period. I don't even see them releasing him to anybody in the SEC.

2. The kid was third string in the most recent spring drill he participated in like last month or something. We're past the point of "well he was a highly ranked player out of HS" because he has played at the college level now and he apparently just doesn't have the skills they thought he had. He has proven what he can or cannot do. I really don't know what UA or AU would want with a third string DB from LSU.

Now, what will be interesting to see is if he just enrolls at Alabama and pays his own way for a year and then tries to get a walk-on invite or what. I would imagine he could get around that whole release thing that way, but I'm not certain. Either way, I don't really see it happening. I think the paying his own way deal is a longshot.

He was actually released to go to Auburn already, he just hadn't asked anyone at Auburn if we wanted him.

Troy.........

He was actually released to go to Auburn already, he just hadn't asked anyone at Auburn if we wanted him.

If that is in fact the case, then that only further strengthens my opinion on it. If LSU flat out gave him a full release no strings attached, and they aren't worried about him making an impact elsewhere in the SEC, I don't see where he fits in.

I won't go so far as to call the kid a dog like some folks are. I'll remind all Auburn people that Kenny Irons was buried on the South Carolina depth chart before he transferred to Auburn. He played less as a sophomore than he did as a freshmen, but he turned out alright didn't he? Or was that just my imagination?

I'm fine with not accepting Jones. I think we have a ton of young talent in the secondary. I think we've gotten interest from more top-level talent in the next class. We don't NEED to take him, but if we don't take him, that doesn't mean we're too good for him or that he's destined to fail. He may be the next Kenny Irons that struggles in one facet of the position (e.g. Kenny couldn't block) but just needs a shot and steady PT to improve and breakout.

He's not crap if the LSU coaches like someone else more... coaches make mistakes sometimes. If they didn't, Auburn fans wouldn't still be bitter over Tre Smith starting the Georgia Tech game, and Alabama fans wouldn't still talk about Dubose starting Curtis Alexander over Shaun. In hindsight, both moves were probably wrong, but they seemed right to the staff at the time. That may be the case here. Wherever he ends up, I wish the kid luck. Players that genuinely want to come to Auburn always have a soft spot in my heart.

I won't go so far as to call the kid a dog like some folks are. I'll remind all Auburn people that Kenny Irons was buried on the South Carolina depth chart before he transferred to Auburn. He played less as a sophomore than he did as a freshmen, but he turned out alright didn't he? Or was that just my imagination?

I'm fine with not accepting Jones. I think we have a ton of young talent in the secondary. I think we've gotten interest from more top-level talent in the next class. We don't NEED to take him, but if we don't take him, that doesn't mean we're too good for him or that he's destined to fail. He may be the next Kenny Irons that struggles in one facet of the position (e.g. Kenny couldn't block) but just needs a shot and steady PT to improve and breakout.

He's not crap if the LSU coaches like someone else more... coaches make mistakes sometimes. If they didn't, Auburn fans wouldn't still be bitter over Tre Smith starting the Georgia Tech game, and Alabama fans wouldn't still talk about Dubose starting Curtis Alexander over Shaun. In hindsight, both moves were probably wrong, but they seemed right to the staff at the time. That may be the case here. Wherever he ends up, I wish the kid luck. Players that genuinely want to come to Auburn always have a soft spot in my heart.

Great points, all of them. Common sense, logic, and objectivity. Posts like that don't come along very often. Kudos.

Players that genuinely want to come to Auburn always have a soft spot in my heart.

This one could have a softer spot in my heart if he'd signed with Auburn out of HS, instead of deciding to try Auburn only after he wound up third string at LSU.

He was 18 years old. Real students transfer all the time when they get to a place and figure out it's not what they expected. I'm not going to fault a guy for making a decision then changing his mind. It happens. Again, I wish him the best.

Just to reiterate, bammer took a player we did not want. Maybe they've realized they are not getting Jarrick or Milliner ;)

Regardless, some thing tells me this thread will be an easy reference come February ...

got to say i'm shocked on this one.......

I'm just amazed you didn't know about it last week! Just goes to show even Matt doesn't know everything! :big:

I'm even more shocked at his comments about why he chose Bammer. He indicated that they had a lot of gaps in the secondary and he saw some immediate playing time at Bammer. On the other hand, he said, Auburn had a lot of upper classmen and he couldn't see himself breaking into the starting lineup. :o I was under the impression that DB was a critical need at Auburn.

(Other than PC) what gave you that impression? We have a two-deep in which every player has started at least once at the corner spot (McFadden, Savage, Thorpe, and Hood... who technically isn't even on the two-deep). We have both starters returning at safety (Etheridge and McNeil... assuming his recovery goes as planned). The secondary is the deepest group on the team.

PS. I no longer wish Phelon Jones the best.

I'm even more shocked at his comments about why he chose Bammer. He indicated that they had a lot of gaps in the secondary and he saw some immediate playing time at Bammer. On the other hand, he said, Auburn had a lot of upper classmen and he couldn't see himself breaking into the starting lineup. :o I was under the impression that DB was a critical need at Auburn.

We lose quite a bit in the secondary next year including Arenas.

Now Jones and his fatyher, with the help of the Bammerham News, is spinning it that they "decided Alabama would be a better fit".

That;s funny! He first said Auburn without even contacting our coaches, found out we didn't want him and now he's headed to UAT "because Saban has been in the NFL and knows how to get me ready to play at the next level".

Suits me. Let the bamzos load up on all the LSU & Auburn rejects they want.

link

Archived