Pre-Season top 24 according

AUman43

It's going to be a down year for the SEC in my opinion. LSU, nor Georgia, are that good. There will be good competition within the conference, but because most games are played within the conference, I just don't see the same domination this year by the conference that most of the decade has had. Too many new QBs.

I think rating bammer any higher than the mid-teens preseason is ridiculous. So much is riding on an almost entirely new offensive line and a mostly new offensive backfield (lost starting QB and RB). Not to mention breaking in new TEs. If those things click and come together early, then ratings like 6th for Athlon might not be bad. But it's a rosy projection based on nothing. And if it doesn't click or there are major problems, then things could end up much worse, as in clawing to stay in the top 25.

It's not that there's no reason for optimism. But to have 3 of the 4 magazines put them in the top 8 is just silly. Their lowest rating was 13th which is about right to me.

And shocker, I agree with PChamp on the SEC overall. Big dropoff from recent years after Florida (though they may win the BCS again regardless). Incidentally, this is one reason I have some optimism for Auburn. I think despite our uncertainties, there are enough other teams on our schedule with plenty of question marks to give us a chance. Looking back at last year, of our seven losses, six were to bowl teams. Four losses were by 5 points or less and five were by 10 or less. Only WVU and Bama were out of reach. If our defense can remain solid and we get really ANY improvement on offense we can swing some of those games our way this year and with the questions hovering around WVU, Georgia and LSU it's certainly doable.

I think rating bammer any higher than the mid-teens preseason is ridiculous. So much is riding on an almost entirely new offensive line and a mostly new offensive backfield (lost starting QB and RB). Not to mention breaking in new TEs. If those things click and come together early, then ratings like 6th for Athlon might not be bad. But it's a rosy projection based on nothing. And if it doesn't click or there are major problems, then things could end up much worse, as in clawing to stay in the top 25.

It's not that there's no reason for optimism. But to have 3 of the 4 magazines put them in the top 8 is just silly. Their lowest rating was 13th which is about right to me.

And shocker, I agree with PChamp on the SEC overall. Big dropoff from recent years after Florida (though they may win the BCS again regardless). Incidentally, this is one reason I have some optimism for Auburn. I think despite our uncertainties, there are enough other teams on our schedule with plenty of question marks to give us a chance. Looking back at last year, of our seven losses, six were to bowl teams. Four losses were by 5 points or less and five were by 10 or less. Only WVU and Bama were out of reach. If our defense can remain solid and we get really ANY improvement on offense we can swing some of those games our way this year and with the questions hovering around WVU, Georgia and LSU it's certainly doable.

Agree. However, if uat is more than competent and their defense lives up to the hype, a down year for the SEC and fairly weak OOC schedule (minus Va Tech) could mean they'll have an easy time getting to 9-10 regular season wins.

Titan, I do agree about why Auburn should have some optimism going into this season. That is why I don't have them as a 5 or 6 win team like many do. Auburn has one of the more experienced QBs, even though he may not be rated all that great. Two years ago I had so much optimism for Auburn because I thought Kodi would be the best QB in the conference in '09 and the '10 team would have the home schedule to run the table like they did in '04. I'm hoping Kodi will surprise us and elevate to his potential. If he does (big IF), then I think Auburn could do some serious damage. Like you said, so many close losses last year. Gotta be able to make up for that some this year.

I too agree that Bama should start out lower, especially based on how they finish last season and who they lost (they lost some great OL and one of the best QBs in the SEC). But I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in or near the top 10 just because the conference overall will be weaker.

I am likely contradicting myself with my LSU statement earlier. That is probably about where they will finish. I think their QB situation is a lot better than it was last year and they should do much better. I don't think UGA will finish that high, but again maybe a weaker SEC bolts them up there. I see them losing a game or two they shouldn't though.

Agree. However, if uat is more than competent and their defense lives up to the hype, a down year for the SEC and fairly week OOC (minus Va Tech) could mean they'll have an easy time getting to 9-10 regular season wins.

I can see that. But I don't see how you make a preseason prediction based on that big a set of "ifs."

I don't see where this "down" SEC is. Arkansas returns 18 starters, Ole Miss is a verteran squad, Bama and LSU are talent-littered, and you guys still have a few great athletes; that's just the our division.

I don't see where this "down" SEC is. Arkansas returns 18 starters, Ole Miss is a verteran squad, Bama and LSU are talent-littered, and you guys still have a few great athletes; that's just the our division.

I think the East is certainly down, outside of UF of course. The West has a lot of potential for some good teams, but nothing really all that proven.

I think the East is certainly down, outside of UF of course. The West has a lot of potential for some good teams, but nothing really all that proven.

UGA will finish in the top 25. UT and SC certainly have the athletes to go to a bowl. Vandy returns most of their starters; I have no idea about UK.

I agree about the SEC overall, but my feeling is that the primary reason why Auburn was "down" last year was not so much the lack of talent, but rather two things. Injuries and bad coaching. I think people have conveniently forgotten that we have an excellent O line back (although thin) and a sound kicking game plus a somewhat experienced backfield and QB. I feel that either Caudle or Burns could lead the team with our new coaches directing them and who knows about Todd and Rollison. Our defense will be sound under Chizik and additional wideouts will give us some more "umph" on O. I also think that this staff is going to do a much better job than the previous staff had done, particularly at the last. This is just my feeling but we'll soon know. :thumbsup:

I can see that. But I don't see how you make a preseason prediction based on that big a set of "ifs."
Yeah...but in most cases, all preseason rankings and predictions are based on a big bag of "ifs."

Some of those predictions are nutso and appear to just cater to fan basis' that will sell magazines.

If polls are supposed to reflect what was done ON THE FIELD rather than speculation, the first poll of every season should be identical to the last poll of the previous year. Anything else is intellectually dishonest @ best.

The SEC will be down until teams other than Florida and Ole Miss work out their qb situations. There is a lot of talent in the conference, just gotta see how it comes together for some teams like Auburn, LSU, UGA and UT. Arkansas is the darkhorse and they have a ton of returning starters but their schedule does them no favors. I highly doubt Ole Miss and Bama will finish the season in the Top 10, one or the other but not both. Also another team that isn't getting much mention is South Carolina, they have some talent and if there was a year to make a move for second in the East this is it.

Some of those predictions are nutso and appear to just cater to fan basis' that will sell magazines.

If polls are supposed to reflect what was done ON THE FIELD rather than speculation, the first poll of every season should be identical to the last poll of the previous year. Anything else is intellectually dishonest @ best.

I have heard that argument before and the only part of it that I agree with is the National Champion. The National Champion deserves to be #1 because I think it would be stupid if a NC went undefeated and was left out.

I say that because this year is different than last year. Polls are nothing but opinions about how you think teams will end up performing this year. Look at USC and Texas for example. If USC were ranked ahead of Texas last year at the end of the season, but USC loses their starting QB and Texas returns everybody - do you honestly think USC should start the season ranked higher than Texas? I sure don't, but that's my opinion. I mean I guess you could wait for the first week to start before completely redoing the top 25. But that kind of takes away the point of having preseason polls in the first place.

But what is the point of a pre-season polls anyway PC?

Because fans demand it. People claim polls shouldn't exist until X weeks into the season, but in the end - fans love these things. It's preseason talk to get certain teams hyped up, other teams "upset because there is no respect" and in general just some discussion.

Plus, you got to have a poll begin at some point. And in reality, even if there was no "official" poll, those who "vote" in these polls would still have their own poll in their mind. In addition to that, sports writers and whatnot will always have their polls, so the official "voters" will be biased based on what they read from these others polls.

In the end, it's all for discussion and for hit rates on their websites and purchases of their magazines.

I think the rumors of the SEC's demise are greatly exaggerated. On the one hand, this is going to be a down year by SEC standards, but this is still the best conference in America. At the end of the year, I fully expect to see UF, UGA, LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, UT, Auburn, and South Carolina in bowl games. This is a deep conference that's going to beat the hell out of each other just like we do every year.

BUT this isn't a conference with multiple threats to win a national title, and barring injury, it isn't a conference with a ton of intrigue. Florida is hands down, no close competition, the best team in the SEC. This year, the gap between them and everyone else is as wide as the gap between OU and anyone else in a BCS game. Sure, the Sooners might put some players in the NFL, but they aren't a threat to win the game. Unless Tebow gets injured, drugged, or ascends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah) they blow through the league ala 2004 Auburn. They'll catch a tight game once maybe twice. That's the list.

And the thing is, there isn't even a clear second best team. Is it LSU likely sporting a QB with one start under his belt? Is it Bama trying to do what they couldn't in 2000 (lose the Oline and maintain their momentum)? Is it Ole Miss, the only West division team that's failed to win the division since the advent of the title game? Is it UGA without Stafford or Moreno? Is it Auburn or UT with infant coaches and no QBs between them? I mean seriously. Those are likely all bowl quality teams, but are we (as a conference) likely to find any more than one nationally relevant team in that group? I doubt it.

Any year you have only one or two top ten caliber teams in the SEC, that's a down year for the SEC. That said, the conference is deeper than any other, and if Ole Miss were playing in the Big 12, I'd like them to win their division (North or South). I just don't have any confidence that they (or any other SEC second tier team [note: UF is tier one]) will handle the physical defenses in the SEC week in, week out.

I think the rumors of the SEC's demise are greatly exaggerated. On the one hand, this is going to be a down year by SEC standards, but this is still the best conference in America. At the end of the year, I fully expect to see UF, UGA, LSU, Bama, Ole Miss, UT, Auburn, and South Carolina in bowl games. This is a deep conference that's going to beat the hell out of each other just like we do every year.

BUT this isn't a conference with multiple threats to win a national title, and barring injury, it isn't a conference with a ton of intrigue. Florida is hands down, no close competition, the best team in the SEC. This year, the gap between them and everyone else is as wide as the gap between OU and anyone else in a BCS game. Sure, the Sooners might put some players in the NFL, but they aren't a threat to win the game. Unless Tebow gets injured, drugged, or ascends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah) they blow through the league ala 2004 Auburn. They'll catch a tight game once maybe twice. That's the list.

And the thing is, there isn't even a clear second best team. Is it LSU likely sporting a QB with one start under his belt? Is it Bama trying to do what they couldn't in 2000 (lose the Oline and maintain their momentum)? Is it Ole Miss, the only West division team that's failed to win the division since the advent of the title game? Is it UGA without Stafford or Moreno? Is it Auburn or UT with infant coaches and no QBs between them? I mean seriously. Those are likely all bowl quality teams, but are we (as a conference) likely to find any more than one nationally relevant team in that group? I doubt it.

Any year you have only one or two top ten caliber teams in the SEC, that's a down year for the SEC. That said, the conference is deeper than any other, and if Ole Miss were playing in the Big 12, I'd like them to win their division (North or South). I just don't have any confidence that they (or any other SEC second tier team [note: UF is tier one]) will handle the physical defenses in the SEC week in, week out.

Your first two sentences said it all.Pretty much every year the word is put out that the SEC is down, and we send 7 or 8 teams to bowls each year. Most conferences can't say that.

The SEC will be down until teams other than Florida and Ole Miss work out their qb situations. There is a lot of talent in the conference, just gotta see how it comes together for some teams like Auburn, LSU, UGA and UT. Arkansas is the darkhorse and they have a ton of returning starters but their schedule does them no favors. I highly doubt Ole Miss and Bama will finish the season in the Top 10, one or the other but not both. Also another team that isn't getting much mention is South Carolina, they have some talent and if there was a year to make a move for second in the East this is it.

Exactly. I think that South Carolina is the dark horse because nobody is talking about them and they have alot coming back. I think this may be the year the Ole' Ball Coach gets things together to make a run at 2nd place. If Spurrier can ever get his QB situation straightened out then I think they will pose a threat.

The rest of the SEC like you said is still up in the air outside of Florida and Ole Miss.

For how many years have we heard that South Carolina was a dark horse and is due (I'll admit, I was definitely one of them for a couple of years) and that Spurrier is going to lead them to a strong season.

USC's roster has hardly changed over the years. Their biggest issue is they don't have a great QB, plain and simple. And that is what Spurrier needs. Their QB situation has not been getting any better and it won't get any better anytime soon.

That said, South Carolina has hardly improved in the Spurrier era. I mean, yes he got them to a bowl game, but whoop-dee-do. He isn't having them come close to contending for a division crown.

"Polls are nothing but opinions about how you think teams will end up performing this year."

Some pollsters would agree w/ you (e.g Herbstreit & Corso). If that's what polls are for they're nothing more than a circus side show. However, many pollsters think they're voting for which are the best teams AT A GIVEN POINT IN THE SEASON (e.g. many interviewed coaches w/ a vote).

How many incoming "can't miss" recruits have tanked and how many lesser knowns jelled to make a great team (e.g. us in 2004)? How many incoming Charlie Dare's and Freddie Kitchens' rocketed teams up the polls before the world found out they were duds?

aucanuck - I agree with that philosophy. I guess I was thinking preseason, so it kind of goes hand-in-hand. But I agree that it should be at the given point in the season. But still, at this point in the season (pre-season), just because a team was good last year, it's still my opinion and that team may have just lost one of the best QBs in the country.

If a team was ranked #4 in the country and then their QB got injured (e.g. Oregon a couple of years ago), would you still think they were the 4th best team in the country? Now voters may not vote them up/down until they actually lose, but it kind of goes in hand with pre-season talk. Just because a team ended up #4, doesn't mean I think they are still #4 because they just lost their QB by graduation or the NFL or whatnot. I think other attrition and whatnot, they may be 21st at best.

In the end, it's still opinion.

True PC in regards to South Carolina, they have been pegged for break out years and failed on a spectacular scale. I think if Darth Visor can get above average qb play this year the Gamecocks will be ahead of the game concerning the rest of the SEC.

I would make an argument South Carolina will be worse this year than last

They always have some studs on defense and even a few on offense yet they never produce together and their QB was TERRIBLE against Iowa and TERRIBLE in most of his starts

Archived