Prayers needed for the newest member of our home...

Duder

My wife and I recently attempted to breed our American Bulldog. We took her to the vet as per the doc's instructions for an x-ray and we were told it was a false pregnancy not to worry about any of the symptoms she would show as she would appear to be pregnant. Friday night she began to show signs of labor on Friday night. We called the emergency vet in Huntsville and were cut off trying to explain what all had happened and told that if there wasn't anything on the x-ray there were no puppies and that we shouldn't worry about it. As of 9AM this morning there was mucus coming out of the dog and her body temperature was below 98 (which is a sign of labor in dogs). On the way to a vet that was actually open on Sundays, her water broke.

As it were, it was not a false pregnancy. There was one big puppy that had turned sideways. So, this evening my wife and I welcomed a newborn American Bulldog that is currently fighting for her life. By listening to the vet (twice) I not only almost lost the puppy, but my dog as well. The water broke and the dog inhaled milk, her own feces and amniotic fluid. Momma is doing well--a little drunk which is at least entertaining. She'll be on pain pills and antiobiotics for a few days and will be as good as new. Our little girl seems to be doing well tonight but may not make it.

Wow. Prayers are definitely in order. Hope both pooches come through. I know how hard it is to lose one. Please keep us posted.

Wow. Prayers are definitely in order. Hope both pooches come through. I know how hard it is to lose one. Please keep us posted.

Happy to report mother and baby both appear to be doing exceptionally well. The mother is doing great and will live a full, happy life. The puppy's lungs appear to be fine after a rough night. She has her strength back and has been able to begin moving around and nursing on her own. She has finally stopped crying almost constantly. The "death cries" as breeders refer to it are horrifying to hear. We're excited to have a new addition with a hell of a story in the family.

With Iron Bowl week at hand, we've considered using "Spirit" in the dog's name referencing the AU eagle. We haven't decided on anything yet. I've been calling her "burden" because when I fed her for the first time I held her up and told her that she was less than twelve hours old and already a financial burden. I'll post a few pics of my new girl tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

Happy to report mother and baby both appear to be doing exceptionally well. The mother is doing great and will live a full, happy life. The puppy's lungs appear to be fine after a rough night. She has her strength back and has been able to begin moving around and nursing on her own. She has finally stopped crying almost constantly. The "death cries" as breeders refer to it are horrifying to hear. We're excited to have a new addition with a hell of a story in the family.

With Iron Bowl week at hand, we've considered using "Spirit" in the dog's name referencing the AU eagle. We haven't decided on anything yet. I've been calling her "burden" because when I fed her for the first time I held her up and told her that she was less than twelve hours old and already a financial burden. I'll post a few pics of my new girl tomorrow.

Wow! What an ordeal! I hope your new pup is doing well.

Archived