Quote from Outback Bowl on choosing Auburn

TitanTiger

"When we heard of the Auburn fans chanting at the end of Fridays game "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger" we knew there was something special about the excitement around this football team. The Tigers have everything we are looking for in a New Year's Day team. They are a tough, exciting team, extremely well coached and.........have what might be the best fans in college football." -Jim McVay, Outback Bowl Pres./CEO

Don't have a link yet. Flea'd from ITAT board and quoted on a couple of blogs.

"When we heard of the Auburn fans chanting at the end of Fridays game "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger" we knew there was something special about the excitement around this football team. The Tigers have everything we are looking for in a New Year's Day team. They are a tough, exciting team, extremely well coached and.........have what might be the best fans in college football." -Jim McVay, Outback Bowl Pres./CEO

I wouldn't read too much into such a statement. Sounds like someone who is keeping all options open. Let's wait until Sunday night when the official invitations get made by the SEC affiliated bowls.

I wouldn't read too much into such a statement. Sounds like someone who is keeping all options open. Let's wait until Sunday night when the official invitations get made by the SEC affiliated bowls.

Whoa. A bammer-troll in our midst?

No, I'm an Auburn grad. Let's not get ahead of ourselves when it comes to the bowl destination. Would it be easier for me to attend the Music City Bowl in Nashville or the Liberty Bowl in Memphis? Yes, but I'll make plans to go to any of the potential bowl locales.

No, I'm an Auburn grad. Let's not get ahead of ourselves when it comes to the bowl destination. Would it be easier for me to attend the Music City Bowl in Nashville or the Liberty Bowl in Memphis? Yes, but I'll make plans to go to any of the potential bowl locales.

The university has already started to sell tickets to TUF members. No one is getting ahead of themselves.

Dude, we're going to the Outback. It's done. I was only posting the quote to show some of the rationale for why they chose us.

I just went to the Auburn athletics website and the following message is posted:

Auburn Bowl Ticket Pre-Orders Now On Sale

Official bowl announcement to be made on Sunday, Dec. 6

Dec. 2, 2009

Auburn, Ala. - Auburn's football bowl announcement will not be officially made until Sunday, December 6, after the BCS bowl pairings have been released. However, Auburn fans may begin placing bowl ticket pre-orders for Auburn's bowl game through the Auburn Ticket Office online at www.auburntigers.com or by calling 1-800-AUB-1957.

Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets through the Auburn Athletics Department. The TUF priority deadline for Auburn's bowl game is Wednesday, December 9.

To order tickets, click HERE

FOOTBALL

AUBURN BOWL TICKET PRE-ORDERS NOW ON SALE

In the unlikely event Auburn is not selected for the Outback Bowl, orders will be canceled.

Tigers Unlimited Season Ticket Holders need to order by clicking "Sign In", then "Renewals" to log-in and process their bowl applications. For assistance contact the ticket office.

Please pick from the following events or items:

OUTBACK BOWL $70

In the unlikely event Auburn is not selected for the Outback Bowl, orders will be canceled.

This doesn't sound like a 100% guarantee to me. I've seen plenty of instances where bowl committees (of the lower tier bowls) have changed their minds at the last possible minute.

Show me an OFFICIAL announcement and then I'll believe it.

Ok, think whatever you want to think. Phillip Marshall, Mark Murphy (ITAT), Bryan Mathews (Rivals) and every other person in the know reported it already. They were going to announce it today officially but the SEC and BCS made the bowls hold off on the announcements until after the SEC title game. But believe me, it's done. And if you go to the Arkansas boards you'll see the same thing...tickets being ordered for the Liberty Bowl earlier, now giving the company line until Sunday.

Dude, we're going to the Outback. It's done. I was only posting the quote to show some of the rationale for why they chose us.

I just went to the Auburn athletics website and the following message is posted:

Auburn Bowl Ticket Pre-Orders Now On Sale

Official bowl announcement to be made on Sunday, Dec. 6

Dec. 2, 2009

Auburn, Ala. - Auburn's football bowl announcement will not be officially made until Sunday, December 6, after the BCS bowl pairings have been released. However, Auburn fans may begin placing bowl ticket pre-orders for Auburn's bowl game through the Auburn Ticket Office online at www.auburntigers.com or by calling 1-800-AUB-1957.

Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets through the Auburn Athletics Department. The TUF priority deadline for Auburn's bowl game is Wednesday, December 9.

To order tickets, click HERE

FOOTBALL

AUBURN BOWL TICKET PRE-ORDERS NOW ON SALE

Tigers Unlimited Season Ticket Holders need to order by clicking "Sign In", then "Renewals" to log-in and process their bowl applications. For assistance contact the ticket office.

Please pick from the following events or items:

OUTBACK BOWL $70

This doesn't sound like a 100% guarantee to me. I've seen plenty of instances where bowl committees (of the lower tier bowls) have changed their minds at the last possible minute.

Show me an OFFICIAL announcement and then I'll believe it.

The SEC won't let them make an OFFICIAL announcement until Sunday, when all of the bowls are announced. Obviously, there has been an unofficial decision given to the Auburn Athletic Department, otherwise they wouldn't go through this much trouble to sell tickets based on a rumour.

To get back to the original point of the thread, it is awesome that our fans showed the team so much support at last week's Iron Bowl. That is the best post-game atmosphere I have ever experienced for a game we didn't win. The fans appreciate how hard the team played, and hopefully the team appreciates the support of the fans. It obviously made a real difference to the bowl folks also, as Auburn clearly got the best bid out of the six SEC teams with the same record.

I am looking at my holiday schedule now seeing if I can make the trip down to Tampa. I hope we show that we were the right choice by sending a lot of fans!

War Eagle!

To get back to the original point of the thread, it is awesome that our fans showed the team so much support at last week's Iron Bowl. That is the best post-game atmosphere I have ever experienced for a game we didn't win. The fans appreciate how hard the team played, and hopefully the team appreciates the support of the fans. It obviously made a real difference to the bowl folks also, as Auburn clearly got the best bid out of the six SEC teams with the same record.

I am looking at my holiday schedule now seeing if I can make the trip down to Tampa. I hope we show that we were the right choice by sending a lot of fans!

War Eagle!

I would like to point out that the reason the fans did what they did was because the players and coaches deserved it. The players played up to their abilities and showed clear evidence that they were well coached. Not many fans are going to cheer on any team that just sucked on the field of play.

Although we should never "boo" our team or coaches, we can't be expected to show strong approval of their efforts unless it is deserved. It was clearly deserved after the Turd game.

Come on greg, are you really this skeptical? There have been releases for every SEC team about the bowl they are going to and nobody else is being picked for the Outback. Why would there all of the sudden be some change when a deal has already been made?

<_<

War Eagle!

I would like to point out that the reason the fans did what they did was because the players and coaches deserved it. The players played up to their abilities and showed clear evidence that they were well coached. Not many fans are going to cheer on any team that just sucked on the field of play.

Although we should never "boo" our team or coaches, we can't be expected to show strong approval of their efforts unless it is deserved. It was clearly deserved after the Turd game.

But haven't you heard, the only reason we were in the game was because Bammer was looking ahead to Florida! They have been looking ahead to that game since they got beat last year! <_<

War Eagle!

I did not realize the fans started chanting that. It's kind of crazy. I was at a bar in NYC with the Auburn Alumni Club chapter up there, and the exact same thing happened after the game. It's amazing the pride Auburn fans have.

Jim McVay, Outback Bowl President/CEO

"When we heard of the Auburn fans chanting at the end of Friday's game (the Iron Bowl) 'It's great to be an Auburn Tiger' we knew there was something special about the excitement around this football team. The Tigers have everything we are looking for in a New Year's Day team - They are a tough, exciting team, extremely well coached and have what might be the best fans in college football."

On why he picked Auburn, a West team, after taking East teams for 13 consecutive years: ``There were a number of really good teams with 7-5 records. We watched Auburn all year. A lot of really, really good things kept coming up about Auburn. We typically take teams from the East -- but we've talked about having a better way of getting better circulation in the West. It was the perfect opportunity and the perfect time to bring Auburn back."

On why he picked Northwestern over Wisconsin: ``Wisconsin and Northwestern played a couple weeks ago and Northwestern beat them. It just seemed like they would be a team ... the head-to-head was really the final decision. We're going to bring a team to our game that hasn't been to the Outback Bowl. They're a fun and wide-open offense. It really came down to how Northwestern won that game (against Wisconsin) and they deserved it."

On the significance of Auburn's win against Tennessee on how this all played out: ``It absolutely added to the argument. Auburn beat Tennessee. Auburn beat Ole Miss. And then the way they played against Alabama. I think Auburn can play with anybody in the country."

Players react ...

Ben Tate, Running Back

On his reaction to finding out Auburn was selected for the Outback Bowl...

"I was excited when I heard we were going to the Outback Bowl. It's a great reward for us. To get a bid to a New Year's Day bowl shows how much respect people have for Auburn, since they picked us over so many other teams they could have taken. I'm just really looking forward to playing Northwestern, having fun, and doing our best to win the game."

On having a lot of Auburn fans make the trip...

"I know there will be a large number of Auburn fans there. They travel to every game no matter what, and it will be great to see so many of them in Tampa supporting us."

Josh Bynes, Linebacker

On his reaction to finding out Auburn was going to the Outback Bowl...

"I was excited when I found out because I was hoping to get a chance to go back to Florida. To get in a New Year's Day bowl game against a quality opponent is a great opportunity for our team."

On Auburn's fan support...

"To have a whole bunch of our fans there would be magnificent. They've been with us since day one and they really bring a lot of energy to the team. We know they love us and we love them. We're looking forward to having a lot of them there cheering us on."

Chris Todd, Quarterback

On playing in Outback Bowl...

"This is a great reward for the players, being able to play in a New Year's Day bowl game. We worked hard all season and it is a great feeling knowing we will be in Tampa to end our season."

On playing in front of fans one last time...

"It's a tremendous feeling to get another chance to play in front of our fans. The atmosphere in the Iron Bowl was amazing and meant a lot to our team. It's a great feeling to know we will be able to play for them one more time and get the chance to go through Tiger Walk one more time."

Tommy Trott, Tight End

On being selected for Outback Bowl...

"This is huge for Auburn. When Coach Chizik and Mr. Jacobs told us in the team meeting, we just erupted. It was a total surprise. Everyone is fired up about playing in Tampa. Auburn has a great alumni base there and we are very excited to get the chance to play in front of them."

On what it means as a senior and to the senior class...

"To get the chance to end my career in such a big game is very exciting. The Outback Bowl is a huge game. It is a great reward for our seniors and the team. We are looking forward to playing Northwestern and playing for our fans one more time."

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120609aab.html

d62097aaa6.jpg

So, I know nothing about Northwestern. If someone well versed in that team could tell a bit about them, I'd be very appreciative.

So, I know nothing about Northwestern. If someone well versed in that team could tell a bit about them, I'd be very appreciative.

Don't know a ton about them but IIRC, they beat both Iowa (10-2) and Wisconsin (9-3).

Don't know a ton about them but IIRC, they beat both Iowa (10-2) and Wisconsin (9-3).

Haven't seen them all year either. Stats show they like to throw the ball on offense more so than run it. Lank They could be problematic for us like Arky was (& LSU, & UGA, etc.) Our D has had an annoying habit this year of making every QB we play against have a career passing game. Hope we can get some people healthy and prepare for this game. NW will not be a pushover.

Haven't seen them all year either. Stats show they like to throw the ball on offense more so than run it. Lank They could be problematic for us like Arky was (& LSU, & UGA, etc.) Our D has had an annoying habit this year of making every QB we play against have a career passing game. Hope we can get some people healthy and prepare for this game. NW will not be a pushover.

They're definitely a pass happy team, however, what seems like their "go to" receiver Zeke Markshausen is not bigger than any of our DB's. He's 5-11, 180. We'll most likely put McFadden on him and he should do fine. However, it is true... our defense is great at making crappy qb's (Joe Cox) look phenominal.

I want to save my tail before someone calls me a doubter for my previous comment, I'm making the 8 hour drive to Tampa to watch my Tigers play and "I believe in Auburn and LOVE IT!"

Archived