Auburn and The U

mcgufcm

So I'm really excited about the 30 for 30 special tonight on The U (I'm excited about all of them b/c sports and film are two of my favorite things in the world but this one is on the list of the most exciting in the series), but it got me thinking about 1983. Full disclosure, I was one year old. That said, thinking about that season and team hurts. I didn't even got through it at the time, and it makes me sad.

I remember hearing an interview with Lionel James where he said that he literally went to bed the night of the Sugar Bowl thinking that he'd wake up and get the paper first thing in the morning because Auburn was the National Champion. The previous day #1 Nebraska (11-0 entering the bowl season) lost to #4 Miami (10-1 entering bowl season... beaten 28-3 by Florida) by one point after the Huskers went for two (trailing by one) with 48 seconds remaining in the game. #2 Texas (11-0 entering bowl season) was taken down by #7 UGA (9-1-1 coming in... only lost to Auburn). And #3 Auburn (10-1 entering the Sugar Bowl... only loss came against Texas) took down #8 Michigan. I will always remember that interview because you could still hear the hurt in his voice 20 years later. It was unmistakable.

Instead, Auburn was jumped in the polls by The U, and to add insult in injury, they remained at #3 following Nebraska. That Auburn team didn't even get a share of a championship, and all because Miami (at the time, a football nothing) was a trendier team to vote for. That season Auburn played FIVE TEAMS that finished in the AP top 12 (Texas, UGA, UF, Michigan, and Bama... going 4-1 against the group). They finished the season (1) vs. UF (unbeaten at the time), (2) vs. ACC Champion Maryland led by Boomer Esiason, (3) at UGA (unbeaten at the time), (4) vs. Bama in Legion, (5) vs. Michigan in the Sugar. That has to be the most difficult stretch I've ever seen on a schedule. No joke. Throw the start of the season: vs. Southern Miss (7-4), vs. Texas (11-1), at UT (9-3), and vs. FSU (8-4)... that schedule was unreal. Un. Real.

Miami played two SEC teams: UF and MSU (State wasn't good; Auburn played them too). UF smoked the Canes 28-3. Auburn later beat that same team 28-21.

You could make legit arguments for Miami and Auburn, but for those guys to play THAT SCHEDULE and get dumped on? It just hurts. I've gone back and watched 6 games from that season. We were so freaking good, and sadly (for us and for the sport) no one really remembers that. They only remember the dawn of The U.

There isn't really a point to this post except to re-hash arguably the greatest Auburn team in history, one of the monumental screw jobs in the history of the polls, and call to attention our role in Miami's emergence. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I won't be able to watch the beginning without thinking of Lionel James, Bo Jackson, Greg Carr, and that 1983 Auburn team going to sleep as National Champions and waking up to that news.

I went to sleep that night after watching that game at my grandmothers... and even calling my best friend saying we are the National Champs. then get up finding out auburn got screwed....

I was 16 years old and saw first hand what a popularity contest the polls were and still are. You don't even have to look back to '83, WHAT ABOUT '04!! We will never have the same name respect that some of the other schools have like:

Bama - 2,000,000 NC speak for themselves

USC - the media's darling (except when they lose!!)

Oklahoma - voters just can't figure out since their last NC, THEY SUXX!!

Texas - another media darling

Another reason why we need a playoff so everything is decided on the field as it should be.

After all, this is not American Idol.

War Eagle!!

So I'm really excited about the 30 for 30 special tonight on The U (I'm excited about all of them b/c sports and film are two of my favorite things in the world but this one is on the list of the most exciting in the series), but it got me thinking about 1983. Full disclosure, I was one year old. That said, thinking about that season and team hurts. I didn't even got through it at the time, and it makes me sad.

I remember hearing an interview with Lionel James where he said that he literally went to bed the night of the Sugar Bowl thinking that he'd wake up and get the paper first thing in the morning because Auburn was the National Champion. The previous day #1 Nebraska (11-0 entering the bowl season) lost to #4 Miami (10-1 entering bowl season... beaten 28-3 by Florida) by one point after the Huskers went for two (trailing by one) with 48 seconds remaining in the game. #2 Texas (11-0 entering bowl season) was taken down by #7 UGA (9-1-1 coming in... only lost to Auburn). And #3 Auburn (10-1 entering the Sugar Bowl... only loss came against Texas) took down #8 Michigan. I will always remember that interview because you could still hear the hurt in his voice 20 years later. It was unmistakable.

Instead, Auburn was jumped in the polls by The U, and to add insult in injury, they remained at #3 following Nebraska. That Auburn team didn't even get a share of a championship, and all because Miami (at the time, a football nothing) was a trendier team to vote for. That season Auburn played FIVE TEAMS that finished in the AP top 12 (Texas, UGA, UF, Michigan, and Bama... going 4-1 against the group). They finished the season (1) vs. UF (unbeaten at the time), (2) vs. ACC Champion Maryland led by Boomer Esiason, (3) at UGA (unbeaten at the time), (4) vs. Bama in Legion, (5) vs. Michigan in the Sugar. That has to be the most difficult stretch I've ever seen on a schedule. No joke. Throw the start of the season: vs. Southern Miss (7-4), vs. Texas (11-1), at UT (9-3), and vs. FSU (8-4)... that schedule was unreal. Un. Real.

Miami played two SEC teams: UF and MSU (State wasn't good; Auburn played them too). UF smoked the Canes 28-3. Auburn later beat that same team 28-21.

You could make legit arguments for Miami and Auburn, but for those guys to play THAT SCHEDULE and get dumped on? It just hurts. I've gone back and watched 6 games from that season. We were so freaking good, and sadly (for us and for the sport) no one really remembers that. They only remember the dawn of The U.

There isn't really a point to this post except to re-hash arguably the greatest Auburn team in history, one of the monumental screw jobs in the history of the polls, and call to attention our role in Miami's emergence. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I won't be able to watch the beginning without thinking of Lionel James, Bo Jackson, Greg Carr, and that 1983 Auburn team going to sleep as National Champions and waking up to that news.

A bigger travesty than 2004.

I agree with you there. In 2004 the two top teams at the start of the season went all year undefeated as well so it's hard to be TOO upset about that one but the '83 team got outright screwed!!!

I agree with you there. In 2004 the two top teams at the start of the season went all year undefeated as well so it's hard to be TOO upset about that one but the '83 team got outright screwed!!!

I've been suspicious of polls ever since that year. Miami was simply a media darling in the right place at the right time. AU's strength of schedule that year was one of the highest ever for a top 5 team in NCAA history since they've been keeping that stat. I was at that Sugar Bowl too. Sat in Michigan section because the tix I got were from a Michigan alumnus. That game was classic Pat Dye defense -- after giving up an early TD (Mich missed the PAT,) AU completely shut down the Wolverines the rest of the game. The greatest testament to AU's defense came from a random comment by a Michigan fan sitting directly behind me. It was in the 3rd quarter and after yet another 3 & out, he turned to his buddy and asked, "Damn, man. When was the last time we made a first down?"

I was 7 years old when that happened, so I cannot really comment on it first hand. Although, I think we can all agree it was a joke. I also was looking forward to the 30 on 30 that aired tonight, and it took a second for me to register that it was Miami that jumped us in the polls in'83. Now, I personally think AU deserved the championship that season, and there are probably plenty of people out there who will say quite the opposite. But if it meant that Auburn would have to operate under the guise of those players that they were interviewing from that Miami team, than no thanks. You can keep that national championship, I'll take character, tradition, and self respect over those clowns no matter what the cost.

I've been suspicious of polls ever since that year. Miami was simply a media darling in the right place at the right time. AU's strength of schedule that year was one of the highest ever for a top 5 team in NCAA history since they've been keeping that stat. I was at that Sugar Bowl too. Sat in Michigan section because the tix I got were from a Michigan alumnus. That game was classic Pat Dye defense -- after giving up an early TD (Mich missed the PAT,) AU completely shut down the Wolverines the rest of the game. The greatest testament to AU's defense came from a random comment by a Michigan fan sitting directly behind me. It was in the 3rd quarter and after yet another 3 & out, he turned to his buddy and asked, "Damn, man. When was the last time we made a first down?"

Michigan did make the PAT-- the final was 9-7 with an Al Del Greco FG in the last minute. I think defensive battles just weren't sexy enough for the voters. I recall Michigan's coach saying Auburn might beat them, but they wouldn't do it running the ball. They stacked the line of scrimmage. My recollection is that Auburn threw 4 passes-- the 4th was intercepted and Dye never threw it again. Auburn was #1 in the NY Times poll, however-- which was the Sagarin poll.

I was two so clearly, I don't remember. I have heard about it for years, however. Kudos to whomever said the defensive battle wasn't sexy enough for the voters. The U was a hot name at the time, we weren't.

On the subject of the 30 for 30 film, note they left off the 1993 Sugar Bowl. I grew up in a Bama home so I clearly remember watching the game with my Dad. As much as I dislike UA, that was still pretty damn funny.

Another part of the problem for AU was the perception that Miami had just beaten "the greatest college football team ever" in the '83 Cornhuskers, hence the leapfrogging. I was not a rabid AU fan at the time (more of a college football fan in general), but I remember the tremendous schedule that Auburn played that year...it was definitely a hose job.

When you combine 1983 with 2004, it makes the fact that a hated archrival is getting to play for another MNC even more distasteful. The "system", whatever it might have been at the time, has yet to work in our favor and I hate the fact that a game that I enjoy so much has without a doubt the most asinine way of selecting a "champion."

All we need to do to rectify several grave injustices is to simply have our Athletic Department to declare that we have , and fill in the blank, "X" number of MNC's. Then print a Tee Shirt and include the updated MNC's in all AD press releases and game day programs. The SPUAT has done this for years. This forum has had their record for each MNC posted before. For exanple, one year their MNC team didn't even win the conference title. All that they needed was a couple of guys to sit down and rewrite history.

So, let's add to the 57 Champs the 58 , 83,04 and any other undefeated , or once beaten team and declare them a MNC for that year. This has worked for the SPUATers. Why not Auburn ????

Another part of the problem for AU was the perception that Miami had just beaten "the greatest college football team ever" in the '83 Cornhuskers, hence the leapfrogging. I was not a rabid AU fan at the time (more of a college football fan in general), but I remember the tremendous schedule that Auburn played that year...it was definitely a hose job.

That's exactly right-- and it was total hype and BS. Nebraska had beaten no one that was very good, they had just run up the score on a bunch of nobodies. The problem was they voted right away. If they had waited a few days for things to settle in, I think we would have fared better.

I watched the special and can say that I now understand why Auburn fans (some) pulled for Bama in the 93 Sugar Bowl.

I was a little kid in the 80s, so I didn't know THAT much about Miami going into the Sugar Bowl. But man, what a bunch of classless criminal a**holes. I've never seen a group of people SO proud of being classless, showboating, full of criminal behavior, and showing up your opponent.

And to top it all off...they're breaking the rules, they're getting arrested, they're doing drugs...but it was "the racist white media scared of an all black team" that was why they were seen in a negative light.

I'm so glad we whupped that ass. If Auburn was playing Miami in the 93 Sugar Bowl, I'd be pulling for the Tigers all the way.

When you combine 1983 with 2004, it makes the fact that a hated archrival is getting to play for another MNC even more distasteful. The "system", whatever it might have been at the time, has yet to work in our favor and I hate the fact that a game that I enjoy so much has without a doubt the most asinine way of selecting a "champion."

Our 1983 schedule was the toughest schedule in the country and our 2004 schedule was the 5th toughest schedule in the country. We got hosed both years.

I've got the documentary recorded to watch (in the middle of law school finals), but I will say as a true child of the 80s... I had the exact opposite impression of The U as BG. I was an "FSU fan" (primarily b/c my dad's boss was a big booster and he had Bobby send me autographed pictures and stuff... Charlie Ward wrote me a letter in 1993 telling me to cheer for FSU instead of Auburn), but I remember thinking The U was just... cool.

I've always loved hip hop music, and since I had an older brother, I heard 2 Live Crew/Luther Campbell's stuff WAAAAY before I should have (just imagine a skinny 10 year old kid bumping to the Nasty as I Want to Be album and you've got the right image). I remember the fatigues (although only vaguely). I remember the rap song bashing FSU. I remember The U being bigger, faster, meaner, and dirtier for my entire childhood. I was heartbroken when Bama beat them. I literally didn't understand what I was watching. A few years later I saw a couple of Bama's games on replay... that's when I realized that was the best defense I'd ever seen, but at the time, it seemed impossible.

I really think (and have thought for a while) that the problem for us was simple: Miami was new. If we'd had the same scenario 3 years later after people had time to learn to hate them properly... Auburn gets every vote outside the state of Florida. The country would've relished the chance to screw The U. But in 1983? They were a novelty act. Similar to the Mormon movement in 1984. It was trendy to pick them. Five years later... everyone was tired of the antics and openly cheered against them. Our vote just happened to fall at the start of the dynasty or the result is different.

I've got the documentary recorded to watch (in the middle of law school finals), but I will say as a true child of the 80s... I had the exact opposite impression of The U as BG. I was an "FSU fan" (primarily b/c my dad's boss was a big booster and he had Bobby send me autographed pictures and stuff... Charlie Ward wrote me a letter in 1993 telling me to cheer for FSU instead of Auburn), but I remember thinking The U was just... cool.

I've always loved hip hop music, and since I had an older brother, I heard 2 Live Crew/Luther Campbell's stuff WAAAAY before I should have (just imagine a skinny 10 year old kid bumping to the Nasty as I Want to Be album and you've got the right image). I remember the fatigues (although only vaguely). I remember the rap song bashing FSU. I remember The U being bigger, faster, meaner, and dirtier for my entire childhood. I was heartbroken when Bama beat them. I literally didn't understand what I was watching. A few years later I saw a couple of Bama's games on replay... that's when I realized that was the best defense I'd ever seen, but at the time, it seemed impossible.

I really think (and have thought for a while) that the problem for us was simple: Miami was new. If we'd had the same scenario 3 years later after people had time to learn to hate them properly... Auburn gets every vote outside the state of Florida. The country would've relished the chance to screw The U. But in 1983? They were a novelty act. Similar to the Mormon movement in 1984. It was trendy to pick them. Five years later... everyone was tired of the antics and openly cheered against them. Our vote just happened to fall at the start of the dynasty or the result is different.

I remember the media trying to create a mythical national championship game in 1983. And, they were so invested in presenting Nebraska as the best team ever, to fit the framework they had created, Miami had to be the best team-- plus, the game was very exciting.

I seem to remember Frank Deford, or some SI writer, writing a few weeks later that upon retrospect, Auburn may have deserved the title. Folks voted right after the games ended on New Years Day, as I recall, however, and it was all visceral.

All we need to do to rectify several grave injustices is to simply have our Athletic Department to declare that we have , and fill in the blank, "X" number of MNC's. Then print a Tee Shirt and include the updated MNC's in all AD press releases and game day programs. The SPUAT has done this for years. This forum has had their record for each MNC posted before. For exanple, one year their MNC team didn't even win the conference title. All that they needed was a couple of guys to sit down and rewrite history.

So, let's add to the 57 Champs the 58 , 83,04 and any other undefeated , or once beaten team and declare them a MNC for that year. This has worked for the SPUATers. Why not Auburn ????

Bama started their claims before media focus is what it has become. My wife (Bama fan) and I had this conversation yesterday.

Reading all these posts on this topic brings back a lot of memories. I was in high school and remember watching both games. I believe they were both on New Years night and we had to keep flipping back and forth. If I am not mistaken, the Neb-Miami game had the fumble-ruski(I guess that is how you spell it). What a play. The AU game wasn't as nearly exciting but they won and the 2 teams above them lost so yes AUBURN GOT HOSED! If AU would have been in the same situation 3 or 4 yrs later, they would have won it because they had become more prominent and every one had figured out how Miami really was.

I was in high school that year as well. That USM team featured Reggie Collier at QB, Sammy Winder at RB and Louis Lipps at WR. All three played in the NFL, Lipps and Winder were stars. I remember Bo Schembeckler saying before the game that Bo Jackson would never rush for 100 yards against a Big 10 defense. Bo finished with 130 yards and Lionel James added 83 more. Yards weren't the problem just red zone offense. Schembeckler had another memorable quote about Auburn QB Randy Campbell, "He can't throw. He can't run. All he does is beat you." The loss that year was just a bad game against #2 Texas. Trust me, Texas did not want a rematch.

This is really my only experience with Auburn University before about 5 years ago when my family moved out there. Growing up, I had Bill Walsh College Football on the SEGA Genesis. I very rarely lost when I had friends come over to play. The reason being...I would always pick Auburn '83 as my team selection. The team means more to me now that I am part of the family, but at the time I was very appreciative of that team. Every play was the HB Toss to Bo Jackson, and nearly everytime it went for a big gain or a TD. After SEGA became outdated, I put that Auburn experience way on the back burner and never heard much about it until 2004 with Ronnie and Cadillac going crazy on the Plains. Even then, however, I had no idea that Auburn would become such a big part of my life. I'm definitely thankful that it has. There will never be a day until I move on from this world that the AU symbol will not be displayed high and proudly in my home and heart. Screw media recognition. In my opinion, it means absolutely nothing. Auburn will always be home to some of the best, brightest, most talented, and most respectible people in this world. My pride comes from that...not from media polls and opinions. Screw 'em. Auburn doesn't need the media to sell it, Auburn will sell itself --- Just sit back, watch, and enjoy! You are a part of something special, regardless of what the media and polls show. War Eagle!

Archived