Nice Fan Support

AUgrad00

Good to see we had maybe 1,000 people at BEMC yesterday. Why Auburn fans refuse to support basketball I have no idea. I realize school is not in session but there is enough Alum and fans in the area along with Montgomery, Columbus, and Birmingham to pack the arena most games. Pathetic. Now before I get nailed on this board I live in Huntsville and usually drive down for four to five games a season myself. Why are people cannot support hoops is beyond me.

All this said its pretty frustrating to continue to have loss after loss pile up against crappy teams. I dont believe Lebo has what it takes he has shown nothing or virtually nothing in five years. Time to move him out and get a well respected proven winner. Again I would take a run at Scott Drew.

I think a combination of 6 years of no tourney appearances combined with inexplicable losses and no sign of us making progress have sapped the interest out of things for people. Plus, being the last weekend before Christmas, a lot of people are either traveling or trying to wrap up Cmas shopping before Friday.

Its pathetic. I mean AU played in Huntsville and we at least had like 4,000 show up and that is with AU doing very little promoting. I really have never understood how fans can support a PROGRAM not A University. For example, got a friend that is all about Kansas Hoops, so I jokingly asked him about Kansas football one time and he just laughed and was like I dont care. I have never been able to relate to this mindset. Im 100% Auburn, 100% of the time.

My thoughts were that there would be more fans at a high school game. It's truly sad.

The University could also do a better job of promotion of program. I mean I never get truly in basketball mood till after bowl games and it starts conference play. It what you have to deal with in south and not like BEMC is the best place to watch a game. On top of all that is xmas season and students have all gone home.

When finals are over Auburn turns into a ghost town. They should play a game at Auburn High 's Gym and that would make it look like there was a bigger crowd. Maybe that's the reasoning by making the new arena smaller than Beard Eaves.

I would think 1000 people at a bball game are pretty good considering there's only about 1200 people in Auburn right now. The semester is over and its a few days before Christmas, I can understand people not being there. The only shot at getting bodies in during times like this is to do a massive promotion aimed at the AO area, with free or $2 tickets. Hit up the local high schools and middle schools and give out free tickets.

How about Auburn schedule better non-conference teams that are ranked and then maybe a few more people will come out to watch? Playing Sam Houston State is nothing to get excited about, even if they're a good team because they're not ranked. I know we've scheduled teams like Virginia but that's not going to cut it if you actually want to fill up a lot of seats.

How about Auburn schedule better non-conference teams that are ranked and then maybe a few more people will come out to watch? Playing Sam Houston State is nothing to get excited about, even if they're a good team because they're not ranked. I know we've scheduled teams like Virginia but that's not going to cut it if you actually want to fill up a lot of seats.

Name-ranked teams wont play us and have no reason to come play at auburn. They benefit nothing from the game. Its the equivalent to us playing a mid-major in football i.e. we win it was expected, we lose we get ridiculed.

I do not think that would matter. Remember Auburn played Pittsburgh ranked in the top five in December of 2006 on a Sunday nobody was there. AU also played Texas A & M when they had Acie Law and Billy G same story.

I mean frankly I think the athletic department could have strippers and a keg on the front steps of BEMC and our sorry @ss fans would not show up.

I even understand the lack of attendance for some non conference games but I fail to understand how every conference game is not a sell out. That is pathetic. People wanna bitch about Lebo but most of the people complaining have never supported the program with there attendance. Secondly, what kid wants to play in empty arenas. Thirdly our fans do not demand higher expectations for hoops. I mean reasonably AU should be in the NCAA tournament every year and win 20 games not alot to ask.

I mean lets put it this way AU plays what around 18 home games and that is a liberal estimate. Let me put it this way if every Auburn fan who attends one football game goes to three basketball games the entire season is a sell out. That is not alot. I mean hell I live in Huntsville and went to four games myself last season. I just think our alumni stink when it comes to support of anything other then football.

I think Auburn has to create an interest in the program. I think we should invite high schools and provide them with free tickets. It would be a great trip for the school and Auburn would be sparking interest in our program. I personally remember when i was in high school and the athletic dept. provided our football team with free tickets, I had a blast and wanted to come back. We need some innovative ideas to spark an interest in the team and the sport. High school coaches would love for their teams to be able to come to a SEC basketball game.

Its pathetic. I mean AU played in Huntsville and we at least had like 4,000 show up and that is with AU doing very little promoting. I really have never understood how fans can support a PROGRAM not A University. For example, got a friend that is all about Kansas Hoops, so I jokingly asked him about Kansas football one time and he just laughed and was like I dont care. I have never been able to relate to this mindset. Im 100% Auburn, 100% of the time.

My thoughts were that there would be more fans at a high school game. It's truly sad.

During my time going to school at KU, we won a Bball national championship. Also we gave admission to the first game of the football season with a proof of purchase of any package of meat by Byran. They had a band in the end zone prior to the game, etc. I'd rather let people in for free than have a vacant gym.

That doesn't happen in football anymore because they now have a respectable team.

It's a chicken or the egg thing. People come to see winning ball, and good fan support aids in winning. The truth is we are going to have to win to draw fans.

During my time going to school at KU, we won a Bball national championship. Also we gave admission to the first game of the football season with a proof of purchase of any package of meat by Byran. They had a band in the end zone prior to the game, etc. I'd rather let people in for free than have a vacant gym.

That doesn't happen in football anymore because they now have a respectable team.

It's a chicken or the egg thing. People come to see winning ball, and good fan support aids in winning. The truth is we are going to have to win to draw fans.

Amen. It's a "Catch22"... fans won't come to watch bad basketball... but you need fans to attract a better coach & players to provide a winning program.

Hell our fans wont come to watch good basketball when AU was playing well down the stretch last season the Tennessee, Alabama and LSU games, all games I attended while driving from Huntsville I might add, were not sell outs. I guess I just fail to understand how if your a major SEC program like Auburn your fans cannot support the big four (football, men's and women's basketball and baseball). Its pathetic. Sorry I dont need some stupid @ss marketing ploy if the name on front of the jersey is Auburn I will support it.

But I mean if AU was good we could play say Arizona in Birmingham and it would NOT be a sellout. I mean when football season is over besides the losers sitting around jerking around to football recruiting what the @ell else is there to do????????????

Amen. It's a "Catch22"... fans won't come to watch bad basketball... but you need fans to attract a better coach & players to provide a winning program.

1) After football season is officially over - it will pick up.

2) Once conference play starts, if AU wins a couple, it will REALLY pick up.

Correct, also it wouldn't hurt if there was a motivation to go. There is nothing to get excited about. Why would people want to watch an inept team repeatedly get beaten? No one is obligated to go as some of you loons seem to think.

You want people interested in coming to the games? WIN!

You want to see Auburn win in Basketball consistently? Hire a coach who can recruit, coach and win!

Why waste 2+ hours only to be dispapointed? They lost to Sam Houston State for cryin' out loud!

:puke:

So your a fair weather fan. Nice.

You want to see Auburn win in Basketball consistently? Hire a coach who can recruit, coach and win!

Why waste 2+ hours only to be dispapointed? They lost to Sam Houston State for cryin' out loud!

So your a fair weather fan. Nice.

Nope, I pull for Auburn regardless. Just a realist.

When has :au: ever consistently supported basketball regardless of how the team was doing? Someone much older than I (that would be 40+ :big:) might remember a time when the gym was full or near full for almost every game, but it hasn't happened in the last 20+ years.

Much more so than football, basketball attendance at Auburn is going to be tied to winning much more so than, say, Kentucky or Kansas or other basketball-first schools. If that makes us fair-weather fans, then we've got lots of company.

I attend 90% of the games every year....but I live 3 miles from campus. Auburn needs to win to generate participation in basketball....just like baseball and other sports. If Auburn were to have several losing seasons in football, you would see a drop at JHS. But.......

I get sick to my stomach when I go to basketball games prior to New Years. Students are gone most of the time, and we don't play anyone to generate interest. When we played Pitt a couple of years ago, we had a pretty nice crowd for a December game. It wasn't full, but it was a lowd and proud group. We need to win and be a factor to get support. Clemson was in the same boat until Coach Purnell came in and turned it around up there.

I attend 90% of the games every year....but I live 3 miles from campus. Auburn needs to win to generate participation in basketball....just like baseball and other sports. If Auburn were to have several losing seasons in football, you would see a drop at JHS. But.......

I get sick to my stomach when I go to basketball games prior to New Years. Students are gone most of the time, and we don't play anyone to generate interest. When we played Pitt a couple of years ago, we had a pretty nice crowd for a December game. It wasn't full, but it was a lowd and proud group. We need to win and be a factor to get support. Clemson was in the same boat until Coach Purnell came in and turned it around up there.

My point exactly, only expressed much clearer.

Who Auburn plays Pre-SEC is also a good point. Hard to get excited about these jabronies then top it off with 4-5 losses by the end of December and voila...nobody cares to go to the games.

I went to nearly every game during my time as a student. I try and make as many games now as I can, but like the OP, I live in Huntsville. I don't care what the record is, 1000 fans is unacceptable.

The opponent argument is also ridiculous. We had 80,000 fans show up to watch a glorified scrimmage against Furman. We have enough fans show up for an ACTUAL scrimmage in April to fill BEMC TWICE!

The bad team argument is ridiculous. How many of you came right back to the football team in 1999 and 2009 after 1998 and 2008 were horrible?

I love Auburn football as much as anybody. I'll probably be told by a doctor in 30 years that I have to stop watching for my health's sake. But dammit I'll support anybody with "Auburn" on their jersey. Those that won't can go become bammers for all I care.

The fan apathy is a joke at this point. And not a very funny one at that.

I with you Jim Jones, either you are a fan or not. Yea we lost to Sam Houston State but look at Syracuse, they lost to a D2 school and their fans still pour out. Florida was a nobody 10 years ago, but now look at their BBall program. I think the new arena will do us a world of good.

When has :au: ever consistently supported basketball regardless of how the team was doing? Someone much older than I (that would be 40+ :big:) might remember a time when the gym was full or near full for almost every game, but it hasn't happened in the last 20+ years.

Much more so than football, basketball attendance at Auburn is going to be tied to winning much more so than, say, Kentucky or Kansas or other basketball-first schools. If that makes us fair-weather fans, then we've got lots of company.

BEMC opened my freshman year. The only BB sell outs I can recall is when Pistol Pete Maravich played!! (For those who don't know, he was on the other team.)

Archived