Did you know?

channonc

That there is a huge Yankee vs. Southern thing going on? Until I moved to DC, I never really knew that this was really that big of a deal. Of course in the South, you hear jokes and stereotypes but I really never witnessed complete hatred for Notherners. Here I have really witnessed an all out war almost that is North vs. South. I have heard derragatory comments about every Southern state at some point, or heard comments like "they only do that in the South." I couldn't think of one instance in my life where I have used the phrase "they only do that in the North."

Not to go off on a complete rant, but everytime I overhear this stuff it just pisses me off to the core. In fact, I have actually gotten in arguements with people at bars that still have simple stereotypes about the South. Now, I knew that these people were out there (just like there are still people who are racist), but I am just surprised at the numbers of people I run in to that are like this!

So my question to everyone is, am I the only one who didn't know that there was still a North vs. South war still raging?

chann...this is a sincere question:

how old are you?

i'm nearing 40, and can definitely attest to what it is you're experiencing. but i didn't realize it was so prevalent until i began interacting w/ yankees on a daily basis.

trying be a balding, bespectacled, southern, white, Christian male... fair game for anyone anywhere ;)

a favorite response to the "education in the south stinks" sentiment is, "yeah, if only we could all attend the public schools in detroit" retort...

*sigh*

ct

Living in Nashville, where almost everyone is a transplant, I've heard this kind of thing a lot. I think it burns them up even more that we really don't give a flying crap how they do it up north. That we can't see their alleged superiority is too much for their brains to digest.

A young and naive 24.

young for sure...not so sure on the naive....

do you like living in DC...other than all the yankees???

did you grow up in alabama?

ct

Oh boy, having lived in 30+ states all over the nation, I can only say... Suprised, not me...

*Sometimes I miss being 24...Just sometimes* ;)

A young and naive 24.

young for sure...not so sure on the naive....

do you like living in DC...other than all the yankees???

did you grow up in alabama?

ct

I claim South Carolina as home, although I lived in Alabama for 8 years when I was younger, and then of course I went to Auburn.

I enjoy DC, I think it is a great melting pot. The Auburn Club here is fantastic!

Try living in Atlanta with all the transplants. They don't have a problem with the raising of property taxes cause they are still paying way less than they are used to. they are ALWAYS bitching about education. then they goto the board meeting,stand up and act like asses thinking that that'll get something done. My old neighbor was from Cincinatti and how the good ole boy system stinks. all I ever heard was how much better it was in Cincy. Her husband was a pilot with Delta. So one day I told her that if she kept trying to bully the good ole boys, she would get nowhere. She said that was just stupid. So I said hey, your husbands a pilot, MOVE BACK TO CINCY. So they did. I like my new neighbor better. Although he is from Philly, he still knows how things work down here and loves it. They can't understand why southerners are so happy. We try to avoid the rat race. They embrace it. But my line is always, if you don't like it here, Delta is always ready when you are. (compliments of Lewis G.)

I am from the North.. the far far North actually.. and to me there is no comarison at all. I think it all depends on the kind of person you are. The South just suits me better. I don't know if Canada and the Northern US are anything alike or not, but there is no question in my mind where I'd rather be. I know a bunch of other Canadians who feel the same way too.

As one who was born and reared in Alabama but lived elsewhere for 25 years until a year ago, I can say "It is great to be back home"!!!

I lived in the carolinas for most of my away time, but also served two, three-year sentences (j/k) in upstate NY, near Albany. I've worked with people from that area for most of my 30+ years in the textile business but never really had the sort of problem that channonc experienced. The difference was that almost all of the people that I worked with had travelled quite a lot in the south and knew the truth about what was here. Most of them would have jumped at the chance to move to the south and many did when the opportunity was there. I actually enjoyed giving them a hard time about the little idiocyrancies that I saw in the north and we were always joking about the north/south thing, but it was joking!

When you encounter a know-it-all yankee who starts that BS about how great the north is, just remember that the ones who do that are typically the ones who have never actually experienced the south further than one mile either side of I-95. Just like the inexperienced, untravelled people in the south, they can only talk about what they've heard from someone else because they have no first-hand knowledge.

There is a reason that there are droves of yankees moving south!!! Do you hear of southerners moving north? I don't think so!!!

I saw a bumper sticker years ago that said, "I really don't care how you did it up north". Just think of that the next time some yankee starts his BS.

I have to agree with CCTAU about the yankees in Atlanta. Most are ok, but many of the ones that have just moved down here seem to think that they are smarter and they're going to "run the show" cause we're so behind the times. That attitude usually doesn't last long - usually ends after a dumb acting Southerner cons him out of some money, or shows him up at work.

Channonc - What do you do in DC? My sister used to live up there within walking distance from the Capitol, worked for Senator Shelby. I spent a New Year's at Georgetown one year - I really like the area. The worst thing is the drivers - everybody is from somewhere else, and they all drive differently - which creates a lot of confusion on the roads.

Channonc - What do you do in DC?  My sister used to live up there within walking distance from the Capitol, worked for Senator Shelby.  I spent a New Year's at Georgetown one year - I really like the area.  The worst thing is the drivers - everybody is from somewhere else, and they all drive differently - which creates a lot of confusion on the roads.

I work for Sen. Hollings on his Commerce Committee staff. I do like it here. (Except for the annoying Yankees). But you are totally right about the driving conditions. It took me a while to get used to, its total chaos, not to mention the city is not a perfect grid so sometimes streets just dead end, or they change names and the street you were on picks up somewhere else in the city. Its very odd. But for those of you who have never made a trip to the nation's capital, it is definately worth the trip.

The most asked wintertime question in south Alabama is : If it's snowbird season, why can't we shoot em? 3 words describe the snowbird populous here, cheap,cheap,cheap.WDE

Archived