Lebron James to...

RunInRed

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will 'King James' play for in 2011?

• Cavs
    • Knicks
    • Heat
    • Bulls
    • Other
    • I don't care...AU Football can't get here soon enough!

Ultimately I don't think it will matter where he signs. Stoudemire isn't enough to get him over the hump with the Knicks, Boozer isn't enough to get him over the hump in Chicago and I don't think D-Wade, Bosh and LeBron can co-exist well enough to win in Miami. He's stupid for leaving Cleveland money-wise but I think he either goes to Chicago or the Heat.

It looks like the Celtics are going to sign Jermain O'Neal. They've already re-signed Allen and Pierce. So their starting five will be Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett and O'Neal. They'll have Perkins, Davis, Robinson coming off the bench--that's still probably enough to get back the NBA Finals in spite of their age. Rondo isn't the name D-Wade is but is probably the best all-around PG in the league. Garnett and O'Neal will be able to handle Bosh and LeBron has a nack for disappearing when his team needs him the most. The Heat will still have to contend with the Magic as well. I think Howard is easily the best big man in the league. With the money the Heat are spending to bring in those three, they won't be able to create a supporting cast worth a damn.

All of that aside--the Lakers will still be the team to beat. Kobe is the best player in the league at the moment, easily the best closer outside of Michael Jordan. Odom, Gasol and Bynum (if healthy) make a front court that is too long for most offenses.

I think no matter where he signs LeBron will go down as one of the greatest......BUT he won't have a ring.

US Magazine is reporting that he has rented six cabanas at the W Hotel South Beach to celebrate his decision. This adds to the speculation that it will be Miami. I myself don’t care. I haven’t watched a NBA game in over 10 years. I use to really like the NBA in the 80’s and 90’s. I always loved Barkley when he played in Philadelphia and Phoenix. (I couldn’t get into Houston because I developed a hate for them when they were eliminating the Suns during Barkley’s days.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/LeBron-James-is-packing-his-beach-bags-for-Miami?urn=nba,254632

LeBron to Miami.

With the money they had to spend to bring in those three I'm curious to see how they're going to fill the other nine slots. Beasley will fall to the wayside I'm sure, which is a shame. I just don't see it working. I firmly believe LeBron is not going to be willing to accept the fact he's going to Wade's team. If he were looking to win championships now, Chicago gave him the best shot. Rose, James, Noah and Boozer--it sets up well and leaves LeBron as the focal point of that offense.

Cleveland has had their hearts ripped out again. I feel sorry for that city.

Ultimately I don't think it will matter where he signs. Stoudemire isn't enough to get him over the hump with the Knicks, Boozer isn't enough to get him over the hump in Chicago and I don't think D-Wade, Bosh and LeBron can co-exist well enough to win in Miami. He's stupid for leaving Cleveland money-wise but I think he either goes to Chicago or the Heat.

It looks like the Celtics are going to sign Jermain O'Neal. They've already re-signed Allen and Pierce. So their starting five will be Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett and O'Neal. They'll have Perkins, Davis, Robinson coming off the bench--that's still probably enough to get back the NBA Finals in spite of their age. Rondo isn't the name D-Wade is but is probably the best all-around PG in the league. Garnett and O'Neal will be able to handle Bosh and LeBron has a nack for disappearing when his team needs him the most. The Heat will still have to contend with the Magic as well. I think Howard is easily the best big man in the league. With the money the Heat are spending to bring in those three, they won't be able to create a supporting cast worth a damn.

All of that aside--the Lakers will still be the team to beat. Kobe is the best player in the league at the moment, easily the best closer outside of Michael Jordan. Odom, Gasol and Bynum (if healthy) make a front court that is too long for most offenses.

I think no matter where he signs LeBron will go down as one of the greatest......BUT he won't have a ring.

+1

Well said! It's rare to find people on here who think for themselves and are knowledgeable about sports.

I also must say, though worded too strongly, I do like what Dan Gilbert said. It's unfortunate for LeBron, that he is not well educated and surrounds himself with similar minds. He really did s**t on Cleveland. They have a right to be angry, but must realize, he is just a kid who is constantly told how great he is even though he has yet to accomplish much of anything. I'd love to see the faces Kobe makes when he talks about this spectacle, knowing that he will three peat next season for the second time in his career, while the media still swoons over a boy with no titles, who is taking the easy way out by trying to buy one in Miami.

+1

Well said! It's rare to find people on here who think for themselves and are knowledgeable about sports.

I also must say, though worded too strongly, I do like what Dan Gilbert said. It's unfortunate for LeBron, that he is not well educated and surrounds himself with similar minds. He really did s**t on Cleveland. They have a right to be angry, but must realize, he is just a kid who is constantly told how great he is even though he has yet to accomplish much of anything. I'd love to see the faces Kobe makes when he talks about this spectacle, knowing that he will three peat next season for the second time in his career, while the media still swoons over a boy with no titles, who is taking the easy way out by trying to buy one in Miami.

Sure Shaq isn't as young as he used to be but I also find it ironic that Kobe and Wade both won an NBA title with him, but LeBron didn't.

+1

Sure Shaq isn't as young as he used to be but I also find it ironic that Kobe and Wade both won an NBA title with him, but LeBron didn't.

Can't fault LeBron for that one. Shaq is old and his numbers with LeBron really weren't anywhere near what they were with Kobe or Wade.

Can't fault LeBron for that one. Shaq is old and his numbers with LeBron really weren't anywhere near what they were with Kobe or Wade.

Shaq is still a good rebounder and still dominates inside. Shaq was just hurt for most of the season. LeBron saved his worst games to be his last against the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals. LeBron had almost as many turnovers as he had points in one of the games against the Celtics. You can't blame Shaq for LeBron turning the ball over and missing shots either.

LeBron is an immature kid who wanted the spotlight on him. LeBron was unprofessional in the way he left and the Cavs owner Gilbert was unprofessional with his comments. The NBA commissioner David Stern did the right thing and fined Gilbert for his comments and he also condemned LeBron's handling of it.

I'm sure Jesse Jackson think's the Green Bay Packers didn't turn on Brett Favre when he left them. I remember seeing a picture of a skeleton in a coffin with Brett's #4 jersey on the skeleton. Brett is dead to Green Bay.

+1

That's taking the easy way out. LeBron's duty as the best player on the Cavs was to elevate the game of those around him. Create open looks for his other viable sources and ultimately when the time is right--take the game into his own hands and carry them home. LeBron does all of that some of the time. That is why he won't be mentioned in the same breath, at least not my breath, as Jordan and Kobe. LeBron lacks the killer instinct to every truly be the force he has been proclaimed to be. When Jordan sensed blood in the water you weren't shutting him down. When Kobe sees he has someone on the ropes, it's lights out. When LeBron senses blood in the water he....dishes to Delonte West? True enough he did not have a world-class set of guys around him but you give Kobe or Jordan that roster and they at least make the Finals.

Yes, Gilbert reacted poorly but I wouldn't say he overreacted. I see the argument that it is a business, blah blah blah. LeBron did a lot for Cleveland and that shouldn't be ignored but Cleveland did A LOT for LeBron. He was paid MILLIONS of dollars to play basketball. He was sheltered from the reality of stardom while in that city. The Cavs found out at the same time the rest of the world did that he wasn't signing with them--that's bush league.

Shaq is still a good rebounder and still dominates inside. Shaq was just hurt for most of the season.

Yes - Shaq is still a "good" rebounder but I'm sorry he does not still dominate inside. Shaq was an absolute MONSTER with Kobe on the Lakers. Do a little research.

In 8 seasons with the Lakers Shaq averaged 27 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. Kobe averaged 21.7 points.

In his 2 1/2 years with the Heat Shaq averaged 20.6 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. Wade Averaged 26 points.

In his 1 season with LeBron Shaq averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds per game.

HUGE differences.

To break it down further -

Last season with Cleveland Shaq averaged 23 minutes and 8.7 field goal attempts per game. His shooting percentage (.566 was the 3rd worst of his career)

In his championship year for the Heat he averaged 30 minutes and 13.6 field goal attempts per game and shot 60%. 20ppg and 9.2 rebounds per game.

3 championships with the Lakers?

99/00: 40mpg, 21.1 fga/game 57% shooting. 29.7ppg and 13.6 rebounds.

00/01: 39.5mpg, 19.2 fga/game 57% shooting. 28.7 ppg and 12.7 rbg

01/02: 36mpg, 18.3 fga/game 58% shooting. 27.2 ppg and 10.7 rbg

And again last season with the Cavs: 23mpg, 8.7 fga/game, 56% shooting, 12ppg and 6.7 rbg.

Check his numbers yourself. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

You cannot act like LeBron was playing with the same caliber of player that Kobe and Wade were. I mean come on - 12 points and 7 rebounds a game?

That's taking the easy way out. LeBron's duty as the best player on the Cavs was to elevate the game of those around him. Create open looks for his other viable sources and ultimately when the time is right--take the game into his own hands and carry them home. LeBron does all of that some of the time. That is why he won't be mentioned in the same breath, at least not my breath, as Jordan and Kobe. LeBron lacks the killer instinct to every truly be the force he has been proclaimed to be. When Jordan sensed blood in the water you weren't shutting him down. When Kobe sees he has someone on the ropes, it's lights out. When LeBron senses blood in the water he....dishes to Delonte West? True enough he did not have a world-class set of guys around him but you give Kobe or Jordan that roster and they at least make the Finals.

Really? LeBron won't be mentioned in the same breath as Kobe or Jordan? Guess what - he already is. I'm not even a very big LeBron James fan but come on man don't kid yourself. Kobe wasn't even the best player on his team for his first 6 years in the NBA and Jordan didn't win a championship until he was 27. LeBron is 25.

Now I'm not saying I agree with all the hoopla LeBron created in the last month. In fact - I hated it. I thought it was the most self-indulging act I've seen in a long time. But don't start comparing the talent he had in Cleveland to that of Kobe with the Lakers or Jordan with the Bulls.

Now I'm not saying I agree with all the hoopla LeBron created in the last month. In fact - I hated it. I thought it was the most self-indulging act I've seen in a long time. But don't start comparing the talent he had in Cleveland to that of Kobe with the Lakers or Jordan with the Bulls.

Well I don't get why you act like he didn't have any talent around him. Like I said, Shaq was rusty from not playing most of the season. I'm not saying he would have been as good as he was with the Lakers and Heat but he would have been better than what he played like last season. If anything it was Mike Brown the Cavs coach that wasn't very good. They won a lot of games in the regular season with Brown but choked in the playoffs. They got rid of Brown and got Byron Scott to be the coach, hoping that would help LeBron stay.

I also think's it's ironic that the Miami Heat just signed Ilgauskas from the Cavaliers, who didn't have any good talent besides LeBron.

Well I don't get why you act like he didn't have any talent around him. Like I said, Shaq was rusty from not playing most of the season. I'm not saying he would have been as good as he was with the Lakers and Heat but he would have been better than what he played like last season. If anything it was Mike Brown the Cavs coach that wasn't very good. They won a lot of games in the regular season with Brown but choked in the playoffs. They got rid of Brown and got Byron Scott to be the coach, hoping that would help LeBron stay.

I also think's it's ironic that the Miami Heat just signed Ilgauskas from the Cavaliers, who didn't have any good talent besides LeBron.

I never said LeBron didn't have any talent around him. I said he didn't have anywhere near as much talent around him... because he didn't. You can't compare the Cavs last year with the Heat or the Lakers when they had Shaq - there's no comparison.

Oh and Ilgauskas averaged 7 points and 5 rebounds last year. The Heat signed him because they didn't have a center.

Shaq is still a good rebounder and still dominates inside. Shaq was just hurt for most of the season.

Yes - Shaq is still a "good" rebounder but I'm sorry he does not still dominate inside. Shaq was an absolute MONSTER with Kobe on the Lakers. Do a little research.

In 8 seasons with the Lakers Shaq averaged 27 points and 11.8 rebounds per game. Kobe averaged 21.7 points.

In his 2 1/2 years with the Heat Shaq averaged 20.6 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. Wade Averaged 26 points.

In his 1 season with LeBron Shaq averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds per game.

HUGE differences.

To break it down further -

Last season with Cleveland Shaq averaged 23 minutes and 8.7 field goal attempts per game. His shooting percentage (.566 was the 3rd worst of his career)

In his championship year for the Heat he averaged 30 minutes and 13.6 field goal attempts per game and shot 60%. 20ppg and 9.2 rebounds per game.

3 championships with the Lakers?

99/00: 40mpg, 21.1 fga/game 57% shooting. 29.7ppg and 13.6 rebounds.

00/01: 39.5mpg, 19.2 fga/game 57% shooting. 28.7 ppg and 12.7 rbg

01/02: 36mpg, 18.3 fga/game 58% shooting. 27.2 ppg and 10.7 rbg

And again last season with the Cavs: 23mpg, 8.7 fga/game, 56% shooting, 12ppg and 6.7 rbg.

Check his numbers yourself. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html

You cannot act like LeBron was playing with the same caliber of player that Kobe and Wade were. I mean come on - 12 points and 7 rebounds a game?

Really? LeBron won't be mentioned in the same breath as Kobe or Jordan? Guess what - he already is. I'm not even a very big LeBron James fan but come on man don't kid yourself. Kobe wasn't even the best player on his team for his first 6 years in the NBA and Jordan didn't win a championship until he was 27. LeBron is 25.

Seven years in the league and Jordan had a ring. Seven years in the league and Kobe had multiple rings. At seven years in the league LeBron is still without a ring and is still not the closer either of the other players were. Kobe and Michael had developed all around games by that time in their careers. They were just as lethal from twenty feet as they were driving to the rim. The fact that Jordan was 27 and LeBron is 25 means nothing since LeBron skipped college--we are talking about years in the league and maturity as a player.

I'm not saying LeBron isn't on the same level as Michael and Kobe out of some hatred for him based on the BS surrounding his free agency. I'm saying he isn't on their level because his game doesn't compare. All three were All-NBA defenders, all three were scorers but it is easier to take LeBron's game away from him than Kobe or MJ.

The bottom line is his supporting cast was good enough the last two years to get them deeper into the playoffs and LeBron wasn't a factor when it counted. In elimination games LeBron is typically terrible. Yes he scored 40 against the Celtics in 08, and then scored a playoff low 25 in 09 when the Magic eliminated them (the game where he walked off refusing to shake hands) and was 3/14 for 15 points in the elimination game this year. Those are the type of games where superstars rise and legacies are solidified. As it stands, his "legacy" is one of not being the best player on the court when his team needs him to be.

FYI - Kobe wasn't the best player on the court in his first two championships. Shaq was.

And saying LeBron hasn't developed an all around game is hogwash. Look at his numbers - they're absolutely ridiculously good. The big difference is LeBron hasn't had that supplemental big scorer that Kobe or Wade, or even Jordan had. In his 7 years in the league LeBron has put up numbers incredibly comparable to those three but the big difference has been the next guy after him. Jordan had Pippen scoring 20-25 points a night for years underneath him. Kobe actually averaged less points per game than Shaq did in his tenure as a Laker. Wade had Shaq averaging 20-25 in the 2 1/2 years with him and in their championship season. In LeBron's 7 years in the league he's never had a guy average more than 18 ppg after himself. Thats HUGE.

Honestly it shows ignorance to me when ppl say "well Kobe had a championship already at this point in his career". If LeBron had a big guy with him who averaged 25 a night he'd have one already too.

And saying LeBron hasn't developed an all around game is hogwash. Look at his numbers - they're absolutely ridiculously good. The big difference is LeBron hasn't had that supplemental big scorer that Kobe or Wade, or even Jordan had. In his 7 years in the league LeBron has put up numbers incredibly comparable to those three but the big difference has been the next guy after him. Jordan had Pippen scoring 20-25 points a night for years underneath him. Kobe actually averaged less points per game than Shaq did in his tenure as a Laker. Wade had Shaq averaging 20-25 in the 2 1/2 years with him and in their championship season. In LeBron's 7 years in the league he's never had a guy average more than 18 ppg after himself. Thats HUGE.

My point in bringing up Ilgauskas is that if he wasn't great for the Cavs, why didn't the Heat try to go after somebody better? Shaq actually had better numbers than Ilgauskas did.

Shaq only had 1 year with LeBron so we won't know how well Shaq could have played if he had been healthy leading up to the playoffs. Shaq had the worst year in his career with the Cavs because he was injured. Sure LeBron hasn't had the help he needs but to be fair Shaq wasn't 100% healthy to help out.

• 2 weeks later...

They can't afford to go for anyone better than Ilgauskas. They signed him for the veteran's minimum.

LeBron's convincing his posse to join him in his attempt to buy a ring. Kobe will have the biggest laugh next July, when LeGone is watching the finals from his couch AGAIN.

Archived