Defensive update

RunInRed

Goldberg has some quotes...

- Defensive lineman Dee Ford said he liked playing linebacker at Auburn, even if it was just in practice last season, and even if it was just for a few days.

"It was good. All I knew how to do is play the run. Pass? My head was spinning," he laughed. "It was a good experience. If they actually moved me back, it would be even better."

But Ford, who is running second team behind Corey Lemonier at quick defensive end, says he's ready to play no matter where.

"I don't care where I play, honestly. I just want to play," he said.

Ford says he's trying to impress new defensive line coach Mike Pelton this spring.

"I wouldn't say it's a selfish thing, but once you're in there, you want that starting role," Ford said. "You get greedy. It takes your motivation to another level. It's exciting to know that I'm out here playing for Auburn in the rotation, but I want more."

- Kenneth Carter, freshman, is no more. The soon-to-be sophomore defensive lineman from Greenville says he prefers "Ken."

That's not the only difference. He's received more significant practice time this spring.

"It's been kind of different, but it's also been kind of good for me because I'm getting in there and getting a whole bunch of reps and I'm learning, not just physically but mentally by being in there," Carter said.

"It's very exciting. It's not really nerve-wracking. You've got to step up now. You've got big shoes to fill because Nick (Fairley) has left. We're going to be young up front, but I think we're going to do well. I'm pretty excited about it."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/04/auburn_notebook_coaching_clini.html

We need both of these guys to step up big if we are going to be successful on D this year.

Previous threads on the 2011 D (StatTiger):

2011 AU Defense: Another step forward or possible backslide?

Freshman Defensive Tackles

Looking back at 2000 and 2006 on defense

Young AU Defense strives to be more aggressive

Jay G. Tate: Rumors of AU football falloff likely exaggerated

AUBURN -- Dee Ford, a rising junior who plays defensive end, was supposed to be just another interview earlier this week.

His story is intriguing -- small-school kid working to raise his talent level to match Southeastern Conference demands. And he's not exactly overexposed these days.

The question was simple enough: How are things going this spring?

Ford's answer was telling.

"As far as overall as a team, I think we're getting better," he said. "There's not going to be the excuse that we're a young team. We've got some soldiers. We're going to go out and fight in the fall."

How's that for a redirect?

Read more: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20110408/SPORTS0402/104080311/1002/SPORTS/Jay-G-Tate-Rumors-AU-football-falloff-likely-exaggerated

Time has come for Ken Carter and Jeffrey Whitaker to step up at defensive tackle

By ANDY BITTER

AUBURN, Ala. -- Ken Carter and Jeffrey Whitaker spent last season in a nice situation for freshmen.

They watched and learned from Auburn’s sideline, occasionally getting on the field in low-stress situations, an ideal way to ease into a college career.

With the team’s three top defensive tackles from last year gone, however, including Lombardi Award winner Nick Fairley, their time to shine is suddenly here.

Read more from AB: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2011/04/09/1532150/auburn-football-time-has-come.html#ixzz1J03wriSP

Archived