War Eagle vs Roll Tide

AFTiger

After receiving a friendly War Eagle while walking my dog this morning, I thought of the differences between the two.

War Eagle is a greeting between Auburn fans. Roll Tide is an epithet hurled at opposing fans. When somebody roll tides me it is in the genre of a f***k you.

At least Auburn & Crapstone fans have cheers w/ personality, instead of the universal and enormously creative

"Go __________".

On a semi-related note, I've always enjoyed the confusion to stump-dumb opposing fans that can't multitask by differentiating between mascot/cheer/inhabitants, etc @ Auburn, GT, Miami, et al. (i.e. GT: yellow jackets/rambling wreck/engineers, Miami: hurricanes/Sebastian the ibis mascot, etc.)

Now living in Texas, I get a lot of crap about Auburn having 2 mascots (eagle, tiger). They dont get the difference between the mascot and yell/battle cry. So then I give other examples of schools that have kinda the same thing going on as us.

Tennessee - Vols, Smokey the dog

GT - yellow jackets, rambling wreck

Miami - hurricanes, albatross

Stanford - Cardinal, Pine Tree thing

bammers - Big Al, Crimson Tide

What other schools can you think of that have multiple "mascots" (i use that term loosley)

And dont forget about us Plainsman!

Now living in Texas, I get a lot of crap about Auburn having 2 mascots (eagle, tiger). They dont get the difference between the mascot and yell/battle cry. So then I give other examples of schools that have kinda the same thing going on as us.

What other schools can you think of that have multiple "mascots" (i use that term loosley)

North Carolina Tarheels and the ram/sheep mascot.

North Carolina Tarheels and the ram/sheep mascot.

bammers are Red Elephants and Roll Tide. Big Al is just the little guy comparable to Aubie. What's funny is most bammers don't even know that their official mascot is Red Elephants (just ask one. At least Auburn people know both Tigers and War Eagle and understand the difference. I love it when an updyke asks me why we have two "mascots" and I can then procede to make them sorry they asked.

After receiving a friendly War Eagle while walking my dog this morning, I thought of the differences between the two.

War Eagle is a greeting between Auburn fans. Roll Tide is an epithet hurled at opposing fans. When somebody roll tides me it is in the genre of a f***k you.

Agreed...I always seem to think bammers regard "Row Tahd" as an insult or as a way of saying "I have no intellectually valid argument so I'm bowing out of this conversation."

bammers - Big Al Al from Dadeville, Crimson Tide

Fixed that for you.

How do you think every other football team in America feels about their cheers and their rivals' cheers?

Man, some guy saw my Alabama T-Shirt the other day and gave me a Roll Tide. My response: **** you too, buddy! :rolleyes:

How do you think every other football team in America feels about their cheers and their rivals' cheers?

Man, some guy saw my Alabama T-Shirt the other day and gave me a Roll Tide. My response: **** you too, buddy! :rolleyes:

I don't War Eagle opponents. War Eagle is wasted on them. When an updyke yells roll tide to me it is as I said above.

I don't War Eagle opponents. War Eagle is wasted on them. When an updyke yells roll tide to me it is as I said above.

Exactly. 'War Eagle' is a greeting shared between Auburn people, not an insult hurled at others.

Exactly. 'War Eagle' is a greeting shared between Auburn people, not an insult hurled at others.

Okay, it's been explained twice in this thread. No bamzo is ever going to get it. :blink:

For UT, ya could add THE BIG ORANGE. Which isn't so much a mascot, but kinda sorta falls into the same category as 'Plainsmen'.

VA Cavaliers are also referred to as the Wahoos, or some such.

Hey Shire! ROLL TIDE YOU JERK!

Hey Shire! ROLL TIDE YOU JERK!

More evidence that the updykes apparently Spike 80DF'd their own brains.

Regarding multiple mascosts, I had a bammer fan roll in on me with that crap so I told him it was an IQ test and he failed.

Regarding multiple mascosts, I had a bammer fan roll in on me with that crap so I told him it was an IQ test and he failed.

:thumbsup:

While we have a tiger and a golden war eagle we remember and use both.

UAT never ever mentions the elephant by name. Its always the crimson tide, not Alabama elephants.

Very lame. And I believe UAT is the only school that uses the elephant?

UAT never ever mentions the elephant by name. Its always the crimson tide, not Alabama elephants.

I believe that is correct. I once asked my bammer brother (aka the "black sheep") why they had chosen an elephant as a mascot. He hemmed and hawed and came up with: "Because it's the biggest animal on the planet." Of course he walked off before I could point out that would be the blue whale.

I believe that is correct. I once asked my bammer brother (aka the "black sheep") why they had chosen an elephant as a mascot. He hemmed and hawed and came up with: "Because it's the biggest animal on the planet." Of course he walked off before I could point out that would be the blue whale.

The elephant does produce the biggest droppings of any land animal. Maybe that's what your brother was alluding to.

The elephant does produce the biggest droppings of any land animal. Maybe that's what your brother was alluding to.

Hey. the great mystery is solved. I always wondered where uat fans came from.

The updyke mascot is not just an elephant but Red Elephant. When is the last time you saw one of those?

I saw a big pink elephant on Hwy 280 at Lee Branch in Bham. Does that count since it is just a faded red elephant? :rolleyes:

The updyke mascot is not just an elephant but Red Elephant. When is the last time you saw one of those?

I saw a big pink elephant on Hwy 280 at Lee Branch in Bham. Does that count since it is just a faded red elephant? :rolleyes:

ALL shades of red count. ;)

Cal State Fullerton uses an elephant as well "Tuffy Titan"

Ole Miss went with Black Bears because they thought it was original. Problem is, the U or Maine has been the Black Bears forever. Also, Maine chose that name because there are a lot of black bears in Maine and not because they were ashamed of their current mascot.

The failure of an IQ test response as mentioned by AFTiger is the best response I have heard.

Archived