Zeke Pike - Elite 11

RunInRed

Talked with Tigers' commit Zeke Pike last night after day one of #Elite11. Adjusting to working under center, used to shotgun.

PIke's strengths are when the pads are on, running the football and improvising and creating. Elite11 negates that, but Pike is excited.

@JHokanson

Too bad he'll have to sit on the bench behind Kiehl Frazier for 3 years. We're also in the running for one of the top 2013 QBs (can't recall his name offhand). We should have some interesting QB battles in the future.

Too bad he'll have to sit on the bench behind Kiehl Frazier for 3 years. We're also in the running for one of the top 2013 QBs (can't recall his name offhand). We should have some interesting QB battles in the future.

Don't count him out, Trotter still has this year and next year, so Frazier might not see action in full time starting role until 2013??? I don't EVER remember AU having a plethora of such highly talented QBs at the same time!!

Another good read:

Whitfield on Pike: 'There is no Ceiling'

Beyond Pike's progress as a signal caller, Whitfield said he saw something else in Pike that excites him. In a heated competition of quarterbacks, where egos run rampant, Pike displayed a "sense of team" that Whitfield said was unique to witness.

"From knowing him personally and being around him, he is Ben Roethlisberger. He's exactly Ben, and they were calling him, 'Baby Ben' when he was up there. We watched some of his film after we got there, he's a rhino. Running over people, jumping up and blocking extra points, throwing with touch, it was like he was playing with eighth graders."

Whitfield said he was still unsure of how Pike would handle the off-the-field mental challenges of being an elite quarterback after two days. At 2 a.m. Thursday morning, he got his answer.

"I'm sitting upstairs with Trent and we were changing some things based on how quick the kids picked up things. I went downstairs to the lobby to get a bottle of water and I walk in on Zeke," said Whitfield. "It's about two in the morning, he's in the lobby, T.V. is turned off, and he's got his playbook over by the wall.

"He's standing over it, and he's calling the play out to himself and he would walk back like a drop back. He would go all the way back like a five-step drop, point to the left wall and say, 'there's my curl'. Then he would point and say, 'there's my dig, there's my outlet, there's my swing'. Then he'd walk back up. I watched him for about five minutes, rest of the kids are asleep or in their rooms. He's out there two in the morning, after a long day, and I thought this kid is going to be special."

Wow. This is high praise from someone who knows good QBs. I'm excited to see him get to campus.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived