19. AUBURN

20. Mississippi State

21. Missouri

22. Georgia

23. Florida

24. Texas

25. Penn State

Others receiving votes

Arizona State (6-6) 158; West Virginia (9-4) 149; Utah (10-3) 50; Miami (Fla.) (7-6) 49; Iowa (8-5) 41; Northwestern (7-6) 30; Arizona (7-6) 28; Central Florida (11-3) 22; Michigan (7-6) 19; Air Force (9-4) 15; North Carolina (8-5) 14; Houston (5-7) 13; South Florida (8-5) 9; Hawaii (10-4) 8; Clemson (6-7) 7; Tennessee (6-7) 7; Southern Miss (8-5) 6; Brigham Young (7-6) 5; North Carolina State (9-4) 4; Northern Illinois (11-3) 4; Oregon State (5-7) 4; Pittsburgh (8-5) 3; Washington (7-6) 3; Georgia Tech (6-7) 1; Nevada (13-1) 1.

Notable coaches' poll voters: Chizik, Les Miles, Nick Saban, Mark Richt, Spurrier, Thomas Hawley Tuberville ... and the Vandy coach.

@HABOTN

The USA Today coaches’ poll is out. Auburn didn’t start very high.

The national champion Tigers came in at No. 19 in the preseason poll Thursday after finishing last year’s season atop the list.

It’s the lowest a defending national champion has debuted in the ranking since the USA Today began administering the poll in 1991.

Head coach Gene Chizik isn’t giving the rankings much attention.

“If I’m not mistaken, this time last year nobody used ‘Auburn’ and ‘championship’ in the same sentence,” he said. “So that’s what makes college football so great. Everybody’s got opinions and everybody loves this time of year to predict who’s going to do what. So that’s all good. I don’t have the time or energy to worry about it.”

Auburn started last season ranked No. 23.

Read more: http://www.wareagleextra.com/2011/08/04/auburn-ranked-19th-in-usa-today-poll-lowest-start-for-defending-national-champ-in-decades/#ixzz1U4jfQzFb

Props to some appropriate kissing of the rings. Compared to other preseason polling, number 19 is pretty deferential.

Initial thoughts:

Stanford too high

Nebraska too high

Ssouth carolina too low

Va tech too low

Swap nd and mich st

Switch us and uga

Swap texas with wvu

Surprised to see Arkansas that low. Are they replacing anybody besides the upgrade at QB?

Also, there's that #19 again... Caudle, 19 seconds, 19 pts, etc...

I like CGC's stance on the preseason polls. Work now, prognosticate later. :thumbsup::au:

Yes. War Damn Chizik!

Typical SEC West 7 ranked teams pre-season not counting the crazy under-ranked Clemson who we play on the road.

Quoting Quint on "Jaws": "Farewell and adieu to you fare spanish ladies...."

Not to be confused w/ the Queen we'll be singing in 2012...

Typical SEC West 7 ranked teams pre-season not counting the crazy under-ranked Clemson who we play on the road.

Quoting Quint on "Jaws": "Farewell and adieu to you fare spanish ladies...."

Not to be confused w/ the Queen we'll be singing in 2012...

:thumbsup:

3 from the oline

Whoa... I was pretty far off on that. :slapfh:

Thanks for the correction. Feeling a little better about that game now.

I am still worried, Mandel has us as overatted at 19 and them underatted big time where they are at. I think they will be solid and it is away but I also think we are a lot better than folks think

I'll buy FSU (no idea why... just a hunch), Carolina, and MSU. I don't trust Okie State without the crazy man at WVU. I don't buy Wisconsin, Michigan State, or Penn State. Even with all the turmoil, I think Ohio State wins their ridiculously named division.

These five are grossly over rated:

5. Florida State

6. Stanford

7. Boise State

8. Oklahoma State

9. Texas A&M

12. S. Carolina

Arky at 14, Auburn at 19 and Florida at 23 are grossly under rated.

Maybe I should qualify something: If Georgia embarrasses the SEC and loses to Boise, Boise may well be rated that high even though they will be about the 25th best team.

Maybe I should qualify something: If When Georgia embarrasses the SEC and loses to Boise, Boise may well be rated that high even though they will be about the 25th best team.

FTFY

5. Florida State

6. Stanford

7. Boise State

8. Oklahoma State

9. Texas A&M

12. S. Carolina

Maybe I should qualify something: If Georgia embarrasses the SEC and loses to Boise, Boise may well be rated that high even though they will be about the 25th best team.

I absolutely agree with the first 6 you mentioned. Especially Felony State. They may very well win their division, but they play in the 2nd weakest conference in the country and will likely lose 3-4 games minimum. They are a program that has been on life support for years. Time to pull the plug and put them out of their misery. I do hope Boise State dump trucks Georgia though.

I do, however, disagree about Arkansas and Florida. I think Arkansas finishes either 3-4th in the west, and Florida is a 5 loss team, IMO.

3 from the oline

According to HERE they return most of their D (8 of 11), and all of their skill players, 2 RBs, and all 3 WRs. Arky will be pretty good if their D improves like ours did from 2009 to 2010 in average ppg allowed they could definitely be contenders. If they improve to allowing closer to 20 ppg, I think they win the West, to be honest. Tyler Wilson will be a common name by game 6 on ESPN and around the SEC. We already know him b/c he lit us up last year.

5. Florida State

6. Stanford

7. Boise State

8. Oklahoma State

9. Texas A&M

12. S. Carolina

I agree somewhat. I do think some of those team will be good, but I don't know about top 10 good. Boise State will TRUCK UGA in that opening game. I think OSU and TAMU will be decent. I'm never really concerned over an ACC team. Arky is going to be pretty good.

FSU on life support? If recruiting means anything, I have to disagree. Fisher's been killing it since he took over. Whether it's this year or next, that team will be back. (Side note, should Auburn cool it on calling anyone "Felony State" for little while? We're balling as many felonies as any school in recent memory.) Like I said, I don't have a justification for it, but I think the Noles are sitting at 1-2 losses at the end of bowl season. That'll get you in the Top 10.

Anyone selling Carolina, I wish I could buy shares. That team is going to be good.

FSU on life support? If recruiting means anything, I have to disagree. Fisher's been killing it since he took over. Whether it's this year or next, that team will be back. (Side note, should Auburn cool it on calling anyone "Felony State" for little while? We're balling as many felonies as any school in recent memory.) Like I said, I don't have a justification for it, but I think the Noles are sitting at 1-2 losses at the end of bowl season. That'll get you in the Top 10.

Anyone selling Carolina, I wish I could buy shares. That team is going to be good.

Whoa, just looked at FSUs returning starters HERE . They return 9 on BOTH sides of the ball. Most importantly they will have a new QB, but I think Manuel played quite a bit last year. Here is their schedule:

09/03 LaMonroe

09/10 Charleston So

09/17 Oklahoma

09/24 @ clemson

10/08 @ WF

10/15 @ Duke

10/22 Maryland

10/29 NC State

11/03 @ BC

11/12 Miami

11/19 UVA

11/26 Florida

That 3rd game hosting Oklahoma will be the test. The winner of that game might be a BCS title contender??? Other than MAYBE UF, who on that schedule SHOULD give them ANY problems?? Maybe Miami and Clemson, but nobody else, no VT helps them tremendously!!

I think your right, that SC is going to be really tough. They return 3 of 5 on OL, QB, RBs, and WRs, except Gurley. On D they return 6, with 3 of 4 from the secondary. They might struggle up front breaking in new starters, but I'm sure they will be pretty tough.

FSU's program has been mired in mediocrity for years. Their jump in recruiting is easily explained.....$$$$. Now that saint Bowden is out of that program, the ncaa won't protect them anymore. There are several teams in the ACC that have slowly caught FSU and some that have passed FSU. N.C. State, Boston College, Virginia Tech are all on par with fsu in recent years, and Virginia Tech has passed them. It's one thing to recruit ($$$) players, its another thing to actually coach them. Jimbo Fisher won't last in Tallahassee, IMO. He's not head coach material, IMO. I expect N.C. State will win that division this year. Felony State will always be Felony State.

Archived