Plan approved for Toomer's Corner

Tiltowait_AU

Didn't see this posted, sorry if I missed it...

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34571200

Auburn president Dr. Jay Gogue has approved a committee recommendation that will keep Tiger fans rolling the famed Toomer's Corner despite the impending loss of the site's poisoned oak trees--but that doesn't mean some big changes aren't coming to the Corner all the same.

With the current oaks unlikely to survive beyond this fall, the school's Committee to Determine the Future of Rolling Toomer’s Corner presented a two-part plan to Gogue: one, that the trees would be permanently replaced by one or more similar-sized specimens (likely a different species of oak), and two, that a second committee would be assigned to determine a temporary solution for rolling the corner during the three-to-five year period before the new oaks were ready. Gogue signed off on the plan this week.

The good news for Tiger fans is that the replacement process and temporary solutions won't be put into practice until 2013 at the earliest. The oaks are expected to be in good enough shape to withstand rollings during the 2012 football season, with the same safeguards established during the 2011 campaign -- such as removing the toilet paper by hand -- still in place.

My opinion -- I'm glad they're going with (new) trees instead of a statue or some other object

My opinion -- I'm glad they're going with (new) trees instead of a statue or some other object

I agree.

So do I. Auburn tereasures living things. Let someone else worship their dead and lifeless things.

I agree.

So do I. Auburn tereasures living things. Let someone else worship their dead and lifeless things.

SHHHHH!!!! Don't tell them the Bahr is dead! They'll get upset, and we've already seen what they are capable of when they get upset!

I agree.

SHHHHH!!!! Don't tell them the Bahr is dead! They'll get upset, and we've already seen what they are capable of when they get upset!

+1

So maybe I missed this in the article - but are they transplanting full grown trees in, or planting younger smaller trees that will grow into their final size?

"permanently replaced by one or more similar-sized specimens" doesnt really answer that.

Glad it's kinda close to what was there before. 43 years after putting a man on the moon we can't transplant healthy full grown trees? No way that's a cost fact either. When I lived in Cleveland in the late 60s some nut bombed a statue of the Thinker outside the art museum and the city left it there in it's ruined condition as a statement of inhumanity. Not saying we need a downer like dead trees in the middle of town but interesting thought.

So maybe I missed this in the article - but are they transplanting full grown trees in, or planting younger smaller trees that will grow into their final size?

"permanently replaced by one or more similar-sized specimens" doesnt really answer that.

I thought the same thing. I'm thinking that they haven't totally decided on that aspect yet.

I've been involved in some tree transplants. We moved some large Crepe Myrtles, which were maybe 1/3 the size of the Toomers Oaks. This issue is not the above-ground size, but the root ball size which is massive on oaks, as anyone raised below the Mason Dixon Line knows.

Just judging from the experience I had, I'm thinking that the whole campus corner would have to be torn up as far as beyond the brick walls just beyond trees, maybe further. Then the at least the first lanes of Magnolia & College, maybe more. Add to this that even more area will probably have to be excavated because the soil is contaminated, you could very easily be excavating a 150' radius or more which would encompass the entire intersection.

Once you've done this there are more issues. There are bound to be alot utilities running through that intersection; and maybe even through the exisiting root ball. All of the utilities must be shut down and re-routed.

The bill for this work is adding up quickly!

I'm sure that this is nothing new to anyone.

My understanding is that the trees need 3-5 years to allow for root establishment before they are healthy enough to roll. They want to make sure the trees are established and in very good health.

I wish they would plant Live Oaks, but it looks like they will be using a different species of oak instead.

My understanding is that the trees need 3-5 years to allow for root establishment before they are healthy enough to roll. They want to make sure the trees are established and in very good health.

I wish they would plant Live Oaks, but it looks like they will be using a different species of oak instead.

TWER did a good little article on it.

What Kind of Tree Might Replace Toomer's Oak?

Absolutely. And as long as Auburn folks are still meeting at Toomer's , celebrating a victory, in like fashion as we've have for so many years, that's what matters.

It's great to be an AUBURN TIGER !!

The Overcup is a very good alternative. The one thing I love most about live oaks is their A: year round coloration and B: their distinctive branching that spreads a canopy out around the base and leaves a very structured look it them. The Live Oak near Comer Hall is an example of that. It's one of the most beautiful trees on campus.

The Overcup is a very good alternative. The one thing I love most about live oaks is their A: year round coloration and B: their distinctive branching that spreads a canopy out around the base and leaves a very structured look it them. The Live Oak near Comer Hall is an example of that. It's one of the most beautiful trees on campus.

You know I talk some junk on this board but this whole thing sickens me. If I saw Updyke on Bourbon Street at the least he is getting an alcohol shower or cooled down by ice. Its just sad.

Archived