AU's Recruiting Compared to UA's

LegalEagle

Does it matter or is winning the only thing??

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20120202/SPORTS04/202020351/Commentary-Chizik-s-classiness-shows-up-Saban-

Commentary: Chizik's classiness shows up Saban

3:37 AM, Feb. 2, 2012 |

Auburn did not win re cruiting on Wednesday.

Not in the nation. Not even in this state.

The Tigers did, however, win the high road.

In a move that has the potential to be a game changer for recruiting in this state and in the SEC, Auburn presented its 20 football signees in the 2012 class with four-year scholarships, instead of the standard one-year deals.

Basically, AU promised that if these 20 student-athletes will maintain the minimum required grade point average and stay out of trouble, they will have a scholarship at Auburn for the next four years.

They won't be cut because they slip down the depth chart.

They won't be processed out of the program because a better, younger player comes along.

Instead, Auburn is going to act less like a football factory and more like an institution of higher learning.

That's a problem for some colleges. Particularly the one that resides in Tuscaloosa.

The one whose coach couldn't even make it to National Signing Day before processing out two players.

Nick Saban, college football's king of oversigning, medical redshirting, greyshirting and roster manipulation, turned in one of his all-time worst performances this year. Thanks to a new rule from the SEC that capped signing classes at 25 -- Alabama signed 26, so obviously the rule's working great -- Saban was even more pressed than usual.

Bad news for Darius Philon.

After already jerking an offer within the last month to Georgia running back Justin Taylor -- who ended up signing with Kentucky on Wednesday -- Alabama yanked a scholarship offer from Philon within the last week, and possibly as late as Wednesday morning.

(It's unclear when the offer was yanked because Philon, who was visibly upset, refused to speak with the media. His coach, Kerry Stevenson, who should have been outraged over one of his players being jerked around like that, instead said he wasn't sure when the offer was pulled and blamed the SEC's new rule for putting UA in "a bind." Thanks for looking out, coach.)

Philon had been committed to Alabama since September and even wore a UA hat to his Signing Day ceremony at Vigor on Wednesday. But when it came time to sign, the three-star-rated defensive lineman quietly left the stage without signing a national letter of intent.

Why?Because a couple of highly rated players decided to switch their college choice to Alabama.

That left Nick Saban with a dilemma: Take the highly rated guys or honor your commitment to Philon, who has been so committed to UA that he refused to even take another recruiting visit.

We all know Saban's choice. We could've guessed it before he made it.

Philon later that day signed with the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Honestly, taking the high road from Saban is the easiest win Gene Chizik will ever get. It's like winning a Good Ideas for Space Exploration Contest over Newt Gingrich.

And that's what makes Auburn's decision to offer four-year scholarships so brilliant.

It takes advantage of Saban's one glaring weakness -- his ruthlessness.

For years, Saban has treated college football like a cutthroat business. He's skirted recruiting rules, danced around scholarship limitations and been surrounded by more career ending injuries to third-string players than any coach in the history of organized athletics.

The NCAA and SEC have passed legislation to slow him down.

But the effectiveness of those rules will pale in comparison to the effectiveness of parents choosing Auburn over Alabama because they feel a bit more like the AU coaching staff has their child's best interest in mind, that it's not completely about the Ws.

Saban was asked about offering four-year scholarships to Alabama players. He refused to comment on it specifically, but did say he felt the practice caused many legal problems back when four-year deals were the norm decades ago.

But it doesn't really matter if he does start offering them. Because even that changes his MO and drastically limits his ability to oversign without the threat of a lawsuit.

That's a problem for Alabama.

And it's a big win for Auburn and the rest of the SEC.

After the last month of college football, it's obvious that they needed one.

Wow, Josh Moon finally makes some sense.

Now, about those four year scholarships: It won't make much difference in Auburn's case. Kids that were being good citizens weren't being processed out anyway. Whether this is because Auburn is on "the high road" or because we haven't had enough numbers for roster limits to be a problem is debatable. (Barbee has processed several in order to bring in better basketball talent)

I do think Saban's practice of accepting commitments from players and then withdrawing the offer when a better prospect becomes available is sleazy at best. The bad publicity he got this time should be a start. Don't know why BSPN doesn't do a feature on Justin Taylor and Darius Philan. Oh wait, I do know......

Josh Moon set himself up for hundreds thousands of e-mails to the editor demanding his immediate firing.

He also better keep an eye on his trees and shrubbery around his house.

He probably shouldn't go anywhere near a Krystal anytime soon either.

Josh Moon set himself up for hundreds thousands of e-mails to the editor demanding his immediate firing.

He also better keep an eye on his trees and shrubbery around his house.

He probably shouldn't go anywhere near a Krystal anytime soon either.

I truly wouldnot be surprised if he got death threats even though he is usually on their side.

I read that this years class of 26 gives Bama a total of 93 Scholarship players. That means that between now and summer eight more players will need to be processed. Now that the SEC has to approve all medical hardships, I wonder how Saban will get rid of them. I guess they will just have to transfer to UNA or something.

I read that this years class of 26 gives Bama a total of 93 Scholarship players. That means that between now and summer eight more players will need to be processed. Now that the SEC has to approve all medical hardships, I wonder how Saban will get rid of them. I guess they will just have to transfer to UNA or something.

Getting rid of them will be no problem. Scholarships are renewed annually at the discretion of the head coach. He'll simply tell the bottom eight their services are no longer needed at bammer.

Archived