Tide commit OJ Howard visited on Jr. Day

quietfan

AUBURN, Alabama -- Autauga Academy tight end O.J. Howard committed to Alabama back in July of 2011 and has remained firmly committed to the Crimson Tide ever since. Over the weekend, however, the four-star prospect was in Auburn visiting with Gene Chizik and his staff during Auburn's Junior Day weekend, according to a report by Auburn Undercover's Bryan Matthews.

Howard, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound tight end rated as the nation's No. 2 tight end by 247Sports, told Matthews in an interview that among the highlights of his visit to The Plains was a conversation with new Auburn offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler, who laid out how Auburn plans to use its tight ends going forward.

"The way he shows it on the board, it's going to be amazing," Howard told Matthews. "He has the tight ends moving around everywhere. It can be from the h-back position to a slot to an outside receiver. It looks fun."

Howard said that while he remains committed to Alabama, he does plan on continuing to visit other schools, including Florida State and a return visit to Auburn.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/tide_commit_oj_howard_visits_a.html

Hmmm...did no one tell him of Saban's "If you shop, we shop" rule? (Or maybe Howard is just reacting to Saban's actual "We're going to shop anyway" practice.)

Realistically, of course, I have no reason to think he'll decommit from uat. And I don't really blame any high school recruit for taking visits and not missing out on part of the fun of being a top recruit.

• 2 months later...

The good thing (for AU) is that Howard gets to watch a full season of Loeffler's offense before he signs. There's no question he's more than a little curious about Loeffler's use of the TE. A good showing by Lutz in the new offense and ... who knows? uat has his committment for now -- I wouldn't call it firm. WDE

O.J. needs to be very careful. He's only a 4 star, better hope bammer doesn't sign that 5 star guy, then he may hear the dreaded

"Can't sign you this year, but I promise to sign you next year." :rolleyes:

Right, I got a bridge for sale, interested?

Archived