Scot Loeffler - Attention to Details

StatTiger

A common theme since spring practice began has been the comments of visiting coaches and players regarding the attention to detail Coach Scot Loeffler has placed on his quarterbacks. The best way to insure improvement in the pass-offense is the focus to mechanics and execution by the Auburn quarterbacks. Loeffler's experience working with quarterbacks was one of the reasons why Gene Chizik hired Loeffler to replace the innovative Gus Malzahn. Though some fans believe Kiehl Frazier wasted an entire season playing during his freshman season (2011); the experience gained as a situational quarterback in 2011 will benefit the sophomore quarterback in 2012. Though Frazier has not made his first start, he is now acclimated to the speed, tempo and competitiveness found at the SEC level.

The play...

Scrimmage-Frazier.jpg?t=1333278023

During Auburn's first spring scrimmage, Kiehl Frazier took a huge step in proving himself as the quarterback to beat out for the starting job in 2012 with a very strong performance. Scot Loeffler has drilled the competing quarterbacks with a strong focus on mechanics in an attempt to make each player, the best quarterback they can become. During the above play, Kiehl Frazier will execute a play-action pass from a shotgun formation. The play begins with a play-action as Frazier takes a 2-3 step drop. In frame #2, Frazier drops back as he surveys a target to his right. In frame #3, Frazier steps up in the pocket as he feels the DE's looping over the top of the pocket. He also changes his attention to a new target (Emory Blake) to his left. Note the ball positioning as Frazier has the ball at shoulder level, arm tucked downward with a two-hand grip. This allows him to set up for a quicker release, while protecting the football from a strip from behind.

In frame #4, Frazier executes his pass with his chest and hips squared with his target. His plant knee is flexed and not stiff, which prevents the ball from sailing over his intended target. Frazier completes his pass with strong velocity, hitting Emory Blake in stride. Kiehl Frazier is off to a strong spring camp and his confidence level will only continue to excel with additional reps. From his most recent interview, it's obvious Frazier is excited about the potential of the new offense as well as his individual growth as a collegiate quarterback. Though all the quarterbacks have much to learn as spring practice continues, Loeffler's emphasis on mechanics has already become fruitful for the Auburn offense and quarterbacks.

Well done Stat, as always.

A question: Do you think Gus was sloppy when it came to teaching QBs technique/mechanics? In other words, was he more focused on play calling, movements, matchups/alignments, ('innovation') to drive results?

Well done Stat, as always.

A question: Do you think Gus was sloppy when it comes to teaching QBs technique/mechanics? In other words, was he more focused on play calling, movements, matchups/alignments, ('innovation') to drive results?

I don't think Malzahn was sloppy. In his offense, the QB did not have the same responsibilities the QB's will have in Loeffler's offense, which is why Loeffler will place a higher premium on mechanics and execution. I agree Malzahn was more about play calling, schemes and creating mismatches. It was a QB friendly offense.

Gus Bus was all about tempo and getting first downs in any which way...and when it worked it worked very well. Malzahn's offense was forumlated at the high school level where rarely will you have a starting qb year in and year out with perfect mechanics and timing.

I know some of you guys know who Stat really is (don;t you?) , I just know he amazes me with his insight , break downs and stats. I believe he is Shug re-incarnated .

Archived