Derrick Green

RunInRed

I do think Green could be an impact player very early on if he did commit, but we will have several runningbacks. I would hope that he redshirts his first year, that way the depth chart wouldn't be so cluttered.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green really impressed me today. He is 220 and very fast running a 4.3. We all saw the power he runs with today. Also man he has burst through the whole. I def think he will make an early impact.

Saw where he stated he planned on committing sometime in October. Does he have any other visits planned between now and then, or are we his last (as of right now)?

Has not scheduled an Auburn OV yet but IMO he will OV for the LSU game. He does have an OV set for the Michigan-Michigan St. game in mid October. I expect him to commit shortly after that OV.

I do think Green could be an impact player very early on if he did commit, but we will have several runningbacks. I would hope that he redshirts his first year, that way the depth chart wouldn't be so cluttered.

I do not see us being able to Red Shirt him. He wants to play immediately.

I'm not against that. To be honest though, I couldn't see Wilkins getting hardly any playing time.

This guy made a swing trip through UGA and Auburn last weekend. By all reports he had a good AU visit. The DullDawgs say he had a good visit there. He's got an OV scheduled to Michigan, none here.

What basis is there for optimism that he might sign with Auburn? An outside observer would state that there's no more indication that he signs with AU than any number of other schools, except that Michigan at least has a visit scheduled so they may have some edge.

Did he go to Foster's tattoo parlor while he was here? Is that it, or is there some other fact I haven't heard about?

This guy made a swing trip through UGA and Auburn last weekend. By all reports he had a good AU visit. The DullDawgs say he had a good visit there. He's got an OV scheduled to Michigan, none here.

What basis is there for optimism that he might sign with Auburn? An outside observer would state that there's no more indication that he signs with AU than any number of other schools, except that Michigan at least has a visit scheduled so they may have some edge.

Did he go to Foster's tattoo parlor while he was here? Is that it, or is there some other fact I haven't heard about?

There is a consensus among all the insiders I follow that we lead, and lead pretty well for Green. That is why there is so much overoptimism.

The last time I saw this much overoptimism from insiders was when we were said to be 90% certain for Ray Drew. Maybe they'll be right this time, they're certainly due to nail one. Even a blind hog should find an acorn sooner or later, right? :)

Trying to foresee who is going to sign in Feb is like trying to predict where a knuckle ball is going. I can only speak for the people I follow be there was never that high of optimism for Drew. I did see as high as 60% at one time during his recruitment. It is a long way until Feb and even if we get his commitment it doesn't mean he will sign. There is certainly no science to it. I feel good about Green but I'll get more excited when the fax comes in.

The last time I saw this much overoptimism from insiders was when we were said to be 90% certain for Ray Drew. Maybe they'll be right this time, they're certainly due to nail one. Even a blind hog should find an acorn sooner or later, right? :)

To answer your first post , even Michigan people now feel they trail us for Green. You are only looking at part of the facts and putting too much weight into him having an OV set up with Mchigan and not us yet. He will talk to our coaches soon to set up the OV, likely for the LSU game. As for the other facts, Auburn is the only school he has visited 2 times in one months time. Also, this last visit was set up by him only 3 days before the visit. Visits do not usually set up that quick. Good sign for Auburn. Also, Auburn is the only school that his parents visited 2 times. If parents take 2 unofficial visits to a school given how much that costs then it is a safe bet they are VERY VERY interested in a school. As for the Ray Drew statement, No reputable insider like ST, Jonesy, or BMatt ever had Drew at 90%. If that was said there is only 1 insider that would make that outlandish claim and that is JLee.

I'm not against that. To be honest though, I couldn't see Wilkins getting hardly any playing time.

Probably not as a freshman, but understand he brings a different skill set to the table. Yes, he's a big back with the capability to be a bruiser, but he also has exceptional hands and at least fairly good route running skills. Thus, I could see him occupying a Ronnie Brown type of role: lining up at receiver, running some pass routes, motioning into the backfield (possibly even employing some of the pre-snap shifts we used under Borges in 04) and taking hand offs or joining Prosche as a lead blocker, lining up in the backfield and motioning out wide...the possibilities are intriguing to say the least. Also keep in mind that the kid is exceedingly bright, so I would imagine that can only help with his understanding of whatever role he needs to play.

Having said that, I could absolutely see him getting on the field as a true frosh, however unlikely it might be. Don't go thinking that he is a slouch in the least bit; he's rated a 5.9 four star on rivals, which is around the same place Brown was, if memory serves me, and by the time he was done at AU there were many who thought more of him than of Carnell Williams, who was a five star coming out of high school.

Probably not as a freshman, but understand he brings a different skill set to the table. Yes, he's a big back with the capability to be a bruiser, but he also has exceptional hands and at least fairly good route running skills. Thus, I could see him occupying a Ronnie Brown type of role: lining up at receiver, running some pass routes, motioning into the backfield (possibly even employing some of the pre-snap shifts we used under Borges in 04) and taking hand offs or joining Prosche as a lead blocker, lining up in the backfield and motioning out wide...the possibilities are intriguing to say the least. Also keep in mind that the kid is exceedingly bright, so I would imagine that can only help with his understanding of whatever role he needs to play.

Having said that, I could absolutely see him getting on the field as a true frosh, however unlikely it might be. Don't go thinking that he is a slouch in the least bit; he's rated a 5.9 four star on rivals, which is around the same place Brown was, if memory serves me, and by the time he was done at AU there were many who thought more of him than of Carnell Williams, who was a five star coming out of high school.

[/Quote]

It's our depth though. We will still have Mason, Blakely, Grant, and if Robinson can make it back add that to thw list. Green commiti g would just make it harder for Wilkins to make his way up. I see Green being an elite among that list of Rb's, but not Wilkins. Nothing agaisnt him though.

To answer your first post , even Michigan people now feel they trail us for Green.

The real question is what to Vol fans believe? I mean Volnation seems to think he is a Vol lock

To answer your first post , even Michigan people now feel they trail us for Green.

The real question is what to Vol fans believe? I mean Volnation seems to think he is a Vol lock

They also think they still have a chance with Lawson... :lmao:

IMO, Vols don't stand a chance until they can top 7 wins in a season. Until then, they are in the same boat as Kentucky, Southern Miss, Ole Miss, ect. JMO though.

IMO, Vols don't stand a chance until they can top 7 wins in a season. Until then, they are in the same boat as Kentucky, Southern Miss, Ole Miss, ect. JMO though.

It may be your opinion but it is also reality. Tennessee High School football, other than the Memphis area, is so lacking they have to recruit well nationally like they used to. The best thing for them to do unless they pull a surprising turn around this year is get Charlie Strong or James Franklin who are proving to be quality coaches and great recruiters.

It's our depth though. We will still have Mason, Blakely, Grant, and if Robinson can make it back add that to thw list. Green commiti g would just make it harder for Wilkins to make his way up. I see Green being an elite among that list of Rb's, but not Wilkins. Nothing agaisnt him though.

Oh I know what you meant, and because of that I do sincerely doubt he'd play as a true freshman; my point was that I don't know if any of the other guys have the kind of versatility that he does, and thus he might add a dynamic that none of the others do. I don't think it would be enough to burn a year of eligibility over, though (remember, Ronnie redshirted, as well). And Wilkins honestly strikes me as the type who can, and likely will, work his way to being an elite type of back, I just think it's going to take him a year or two in order to do so.

Time will tell.

After offering Franklin that contract extension, I have a hard time believing that his buyout isn't upwards of $10million. UTenn will never be able to hire Franklin away

I enjoyed watching him play the other day. He is a very good running back - best big back in the country IMO.

He trucked a guy in the first quarter - that was awesome.

I enjoyed watching him play the other day. He is a very good running back - best big back in the country IMO.

He trucked a guy in the first quarter - that was awesome.

Yeah I saw that too.. Completely embarrassed the guy. Ha!

Are y'all serious Vol fans think they have a chance with Green. I know they think they have a chance with Lawson because he has a trainer that went to UT and that is laughable. They are like bammers when Shula was there lol.

I was a fan of Bryant being the best back in the country until I studied Green film and watched him play Saturday. Green is the best back in America. I do have Bryant as the second best though lol.

I just don't think there is any one dominant back in the nation this year. Looking at all the backs, they all have their deficiencies. It all depends on what type of back the coaching staff at the respected school is looking to recruit

Archived