Has anyone else noticed.....

tuffy11111

The speed that Auburn seems to be recruiting.  Look at the 2010 class already.  If Holland and White both run what Rivals lists them running....then they already beat out the fastest linebacker in this years past NFL draft (Aaron Curry, 4.56) Well, White runs a 4.58, but still. 

Demond Washington from 2009, runs a 4.29....WOAH! Travante Stallworth and Taikwon Paige both run 4.4 (I dont know about Paige.  But Stallworth has the tape to prove it) LaVoyd James-4.45. Dee Ford, he might only weigh 205.  But, he is a defensive end that runs a 4.46! ESPN said he should bulk up to 245 with no problem and still lose little to no speed.  The only slowish time I see for their position is Emory Blake and he runs a 4.60, which isnt terrible.

I am out of stuff to talk about for now.  Bedtime then I will probably look and add more tomorrow.  But just something to notice.  Finally...they are catching on.  Florida has been doing it for years.  At this level, speed is all that really matters.

At this level, speed is all that really matters.

Actually there are at least a few other things that do matter (i.e character, etc.) but I get what you are saying.

My high school football coach always said, "You can't teach speed."

John's is right, the only things that coaching and weight-lifting won't give you is speed and instincts.

But I think that its all down to what Gus and Gene have said from the very beginning, this offense is going to be fast at everything; calling plays, lining up, snapping the ball, and of course during the actual plays.

The kids can't just be fast physically, they have to be fast mentally. But when game time comes, I can see why Malzahn's offense works. We can run any kind of offense we'd like, but the defense won't be able to defend it if they can't keep up with the tempo, let alone the actual players during the play.

And Chizik is a defensive mastermind. He spent a lot of time with Monte Kiffin and knows how to balance the speedy OLBs and DEs with a respectably sized MLB with athleticism and enough bulk in the DTs to make sure people won't run over us.

But if you really want to cut to the core of the arguement here, Johns had it right. We can teach kids how to block, throw, tackle, pass rush, cover, catch, run with the ball, and even bulk them up or slim them down. But you can't coach speed.

Common Sense dictates that someone who is fast can learn everything else in due time. You can teach a slow person the mechanics but that person will always be slow.

Isnt that basically what I said?  All that these coaches should do is recruit speed.  Every coach on this team is a master of molding clay.  I am so excited about what Coach Rocker will be able to do with the ridiculous speed of Dee Ford.

Archived