Here's a look back at the espn top 150 of 2006.

thacheetah11

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4860278

#77 - Ben Tate (Great Auburn career)

#96 - Charles Deas (Originally to LSWho) Who knows if he will ever make it to Auburn or anyplace else. ST?

#121 - Neil Caudle (Couldn't make it to starter...maybe 2010)

#138 - Bart Edins (Back-up)

#142 - Mario Fannin (Good Career will end it with a BANG in 2010!)

At least Tubby knew running backs huh?

WDE

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4860278

#77 - Ben Tate (Great Auburn career)

#96 - Charles Deas (Originally to LSWho) Who knows if he will ever make it to Auburn or anyplace else. ST?

#121 - Neil Caudle (Couldn't make it to starter...maybe 2010)

#138 - Bart Edins (Back-up)

#142 - Mario Fannin (Good Career will end it with a BANG in 2010!)

At least Tubby knew running backs huh?

WDE

Notice the spelling of Chris Todd's name under Neil Caudle.

I would love to find a website that shows every player in the NFL and how they were rated by the recruiting services coming out of high school.  Kind of like a 'where are they now' expose.  I would be willing to bet there are more 3* players, than 5*.

I would love to find a website that shows every player in the NFL and how they were rated by the recruiting services coming out of high school.  Kind of like a 'where are they now' expose.  I would be willing to bet there are more 3* players, than 5*.

I think there was an article written recently about how most of the two deep in this year's Superbowl were rated 3* and didn't attent major football colleges.

But honestly, Auburn player's doing well in the NFL is icing on the cake.  It's what they do at Auburn that I'm most concerned with.  I always love it when they go on to have good "Auburn men" lives but the years at Auburn is where it resides with me.

I think there was an article written recently about how most of the two deep in this year's Superbowl were rated 3* and didn't attent major football colleges.

But honestly, Auburn player's doing well in the NFL is icing on the cake.  It's what they do at Auburn that I'm most concerned with.  I always love it when they go on to have good "Auburn men" lives but the years at Auburn is where it resides with me.

That is true, but it is a lot easier to recruit when you can say "Just look at all of our players in the NFL".

You would have to look more at the percentage of 3*s vs. 5*s though, bec. numbers-wise, of course there are more 3*s in the NFL, and that is simply bec. far more players are rated 3*s while only a select few are 5*s.

True, but it would still be interesting to see the number of 3*, 4*, and 5* players in the NFL.  I had heard that Bo Jackson was a 3* prospect and was the #3 ranked RB in the state of Alabama coming out of high school......and every Auburn fan knows how that panned out!

True, but it would still be interesting to see the number of 3*, 4*, and 5* players in the NFL.  I had heard that Bo Jackson was a 3* prospect and was the #3 ranked RB in the state of Alabama coming out of high school......and every Auburn fan knows how that panned out!

I have heard Bo was a 3* also. I know bama recruited him to play LB. What a waste of talent that would have been!

You would have to look more at the percentage of 3*s vs. 5*s though, bec. numbers-wise, of course there are more 3*s in the NFL, and that is simply bec. far more players are rated 3*s while only a select few are 5*s.

While I can see your point, I don't agree with it.  Based on the premise that a 5* guy is better than a 4* and a 4* is better than a 3*, if valuated correctly all the 5* and 4* guys would be drafted before the 3* guys.  To simplify the discussion, assume everyone in this class and only this class are in the draft four years from now.  There are at least 250 4* and above kids according to Rivals right now.  Given the number of teams in the NFL, that means that the first 8+ rounds of the draft should be 4 and 5* players putting the 3* kids at a decided minority.

I have heard Bo was a 3* also. I know bama recruited him to play LB. What a waste of talent that would have been!

Bo knows linebacker.

Bo would have won the heisman if he played punter.

Guest AUpride

A 5* has around a 50% chance of making an NFL roster, a 4* around 10%, a 3* around 3%.. Of course you'll see more 3&4* recruits in the NFL due to sheer numbers alone..

A 5* has around a 50% chance of making an NFL roster, a 4* around 10%, a 3* around 3%.. Of course you'll see more 3&4* recruits in the NFL due to sheer numbers alone..

So, what does chance does the average person have?  Maybe .000001?  These percentages are off.

So, what does chance does the average person have?  Maybe .000001?  These percentages are off.

When you make up numbers they can be.  Laf.

The whole point wasn't who gets there but who should.  It's clear from my post that three stars should rarely get to the NFL based on the numbers if the ratings were accurate.  The fact of the matter is that the star rating system rarely is accurate and it is evidenced by the number of three star players who actually are in the league seeing as how the mathematics means they shouldn't.

Guest AUpride

When you make up numbers they can be.  Laf.

The whole point wasn't who gets there but who should.  It's clear from my post that three stars should rarely get to the NFL based on the numbers if the ratings were accurate.  The fact of the matter is that the star rating system rarely is accurate and it is evidenced by the number of three star players who actually are in the league seeing as how the mathematics means they shouldn't.

I pulled those straight off an Athlon sports article.. I'll have to find it if you want it... And correction this is for the 1st 3 rounds of the NFL draft.

Here it is:

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/13422/nfl-stars-how-recruiting-translates-to-the-draft

It's just my opinion, but 50% for 5*'s does seem very high to me.

I pulled those straight off a Rivals article.. I'll have to find it if you want it...

No, it's no big deal. That just seems like a high number to me is all. I was looking at ESPN's top 150 from 2006 earlier. They were like 12 for their first 15, then after that they were few and far between.

Archived