Lebo is gone....

I wonder if people would be this forgiving of lebo if he coached football

if he was genuinely a good guy, then i'd say yes we would still be saying good luck... (please see We'll Miss You Tommy Tuberville facebook groups)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We absolutely have a shot at Travis Ford.  He played at UK in the SEC and mad eit known that he wanted the UK job when it came open. Now that the UK job is locked up for the foreseeable future I think he would give Auburn a serious look.  It would get him back into the SEC which gives him more visibility nationwide, he would have the chance to play UK every year and potentially beat them thus giving him a huge leg up when the UK job does come open again.  While A and M has rich boosters, their facilities will now pale in comparison to AU's and he is already established in the south in recruiting and will have the south west to pull from as well.  We can pay him equal or better money than he makes now and he would have the chance to pull off a huge accomplishment in being the guy that turned the Auburn program around.  These good coaches all have one thing in common, the desire to win and prove that they can win anywhere.  They all seem to have egos and there is nothing more exciting to them than a challenge which the Auburn job certainly is. 

IF Ford was convinced that Auburn is really going to invest 100% of their effort and money into this basketball program he would come.  the new facilities are really a huge factor because it shows that Auburn is serious about being a contender in basketball.  Ford would have the chance to turn Auburn into the next Florida; a school that is a powerhouse in both football and basketball at the same time.  Like I mentioned before, the single biggest thing is the UK connection.  Travis Ford would want to show the Big Blue Nation that they messed up not hiring him this last go around, and gain that SEC experience that he lacked which precluded him from the last UK coaching search. 

All these people who say we dont have a shot at a big name coach aren't considering a lot of things.  While we will have to fork over big time bucks to get them here, money is far from everything!!

I said this in another thread. I would love to see us go after Steve Alford. He is at New Mexico, and has them ranked #8 at the moment. Surely we can compete with a MWC school financially. He is still a young guy, but is a proven winning college coach IMO.

I really think everyone in the Auburn family wishes Jeff and his family the very best. I remember him fighting tooth and nail after we lot in the sec tournament that we deserved to be in the Ncaa tournament. I think he will land on his feet somewhere even if it is not HC. I didnt like the fact that we looked like we were playing street ball during his time here and the lack of some big men under the boards. I like the 3pt shot but you cant put 100 percent of your plan on the 3 pointer. I hope and I do think we will hire someone who is proven. I would find it truley hard to beleive with the money spent on a new facility we wouldnt go for the best.

I'm not even going to try to pretend to know how the money is handled in a college athletic department, but I feel like if we spend that much on an arena, could we not pay a coach basically whatever we wanted too? I mean what's the highest paid coach in college bball make? 3 Mill? More? Less? 3 mill is a long way from 90! I'm sure there is more to it than that. If anyone knows, I would love for you to share it with me!

Archived