Anderson

AuburnSpider

Tubbs is off the books. His buyout had to be made by a certain date and it has passed. Even if he was still on the books, it would be offset by the job he has now. Lebo is the only coach that has to be paid a buyout. Anderson's deal does not have a buyout because most of the heavier payments are loaded in the back end of his contract. Also he turned down more money for the Ga job last year. This guy is not all about the dollar.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Tubby couldn't win at KY. If he cant get players to KY he wont be able to get them to Auburn. Auburn needs someone who can come in and recruit as well as coach. Anderson, Mitchell and Drew have proven they can do this. http://wareagleextra.blogspot.com/search/label/Basketball

Tubby couldn't win at UK?  Wasn't he in the NCAA tournament every year he was there?

:dunno:

Let me answer you with a question. Why did Tubby leave KY?

Let me answer your question with an answer:

Smith's teams, known primarily for a defense-oriented slower style of play coined "Tubbyball", received mixed reviews among Kentucky fans who have historically enjoyed a faster, higher-scoring style of play under previous coaches.

Smith led Kentucky to one national championship in 1998, a perfect 16–0 regular season conference record in 2003 (as well as being named national AP Coach of the Year), five SEC regular season championships (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005) and five SEC Tournament titles (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004), with six Sweet Sixteen finishes and four Elite Eight finishes (1998, 1999, 2003, 2005) in his nine seasons after the 1998 championship. He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Fame member Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

Although Smith compiled an impressive resume during his UK career, he came under considerable pressure from many UK fans, who believed that his recruiting was subpar and his failure to achieve a Final Four appearance in his last nine seasons was inadequate by UK standards. Some UK fans went as far as to place "for sale" signs on his front lawn. He did come just a double overtime loss short of a Final Four appearance in 2005, losing to Tom Izzo's Michigan State Spartans. This drought is the longest of any coach in UK history. That along with his double digit losing seasons (which led to Tubby's critics nicknaming him "Ten-Loss Tubby") led to the pressure. On March 22, 2007, Smith resigned his position of UK head coach to accept the head coach position at the University of Minnesota.

Smith led the Wildcats to an overall record of 263–83 record for a winning percentage of .760. In his 10 seasons with Kentucky, he averaged over 26 wins per season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubby_Smith

Who wouldn't want this?  Seriously?

:wedance:

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Tubby couldn't win at KY. If he cant get players to KY he wont be able to get them to Auburn. Auburn needs someone who can come in and recruit as well as coach. Anderson, Mitchell and Drew have proven they can do this. http://wareagleextra.blogspot.com/search/label/Basketball

Tubby couldn't win at UK?  Wasn't he in the NCAA tournament every year he was there?

Simply put. I would take 20 wins a season. So there. :thumbsup:

Let me answer you with a question. Why did Tubby leave KY?

Let me answer your question with an answer:

Smith's teams, known primarily for a defense-oriented slower style of play coined "Tubbyball", received mixed reviews among Kentucky fans who have historically enjoyed a faster, higher-scoring style of play under previous coaches.

Smith led Kentucky to one national championship in 1998, a perfect 16–0 regular season conference record in 2003 (as well as being named national AP Coach of the Year), five SEC regular season championships (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005) and five SEC Tournament titles (1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004), with six Sweet Sixteen finishes and four Elite Eight finishes (1998, 1999, 2003, 2005) in his nine seasons after the 1998 championship. He totaled 100 wins quicker than any other Wildcat coach except Hall of Fame member Adolph Rupp, reaching the plateau in 130 games.

Although Smith compiled an impressive resume during his UK career, he came under considerable pressure from many UK fans, who believed that his recruiting was subpar and his failure to achieve a Final Four appearance in his last nine seasons was inadequate by UK standards. Some UK fans went as far as to place "for sale" signs on his front lawn. He did come just a double overtime loss short of a Final Four appearance in 2005, losing to Tom Izzo's Michigan State Spartans. This drought is the longest of any coach in UK history. That along with his double digit losing seasons (which led to Tubby's critics nicknaming him "Ten-Loss Tubby") led to the pressure. On March 22, 2007, Smith resigned his position of UK head coach to accept the head coach position at the University of Minnesota.

Smith led the Wildcats to an overall record of 263–83 record for a winning percentage of .760. In his 10 seasons with Kentucky, he averaged over 26 wins per season.

I'm not going to say that would not have been great to see, after what we have gone thru, but Auburn should be able to contend with Kentucky, NC and Duke every year!

I will not accept any less, and frankly neither should any of you. Just because we have gone thru a long, long, slow valley does in NO WAY mean we should not strive to reach the mountain top.

Yes, Auburn can win, yes, Auburn should win, yes I beleive in Auburn, and LOVE IT!

Anderson....great coach... rumor dept says that he has "racial" issues, ala Nolan Richardson.  I don't care whether our coach is white or black, but I don't want someone that is always blaming the white man for his troubles (Richardson)  I want a coach we can all get behind.  If the Anderson rumors are just that, he seems to be a very fine coach with a great record. I'm more leaning toward Chuck Person, or the coach at William & Mary.

Nice speech.....  Here is a little reality check... first... I believe in Auburn basketball and love it!!  I was in the coliseum when kentucky came in ranked #1 with turpin and bowie ...  two seven footers.... and saw barkley REJECT a turpin dunk...  And chuck person take care of business...

However, I am trying to be realistic  for the following reasons...

1.  Arena size -- My concern with the quality of a coach that Auburn can attract is the size (not quality) of our new arena....   9600 seats is no where equivalent to kentucky or tenn... Minnesota (14,625 ).....Missouri (15,061)

not sure where it compares to the remainder of the SEC???  IMHO this is indication of what our athletic department thinks the future of Auburn basketball will be for the forseable future....

2.  Salary -- our ability to get Chizik for his salary was (in hindsight) genius!!    However, it causes an unintended consequence.  We cannot pay our basketball coach more than football head coach...

Tubby -- $13 million in base, supplemental and camp money over the seven-year contract, and can earn additional money in incentives that boosted his annual salary to more than $3.3 million in 2007. , Anderson already makes more than 1.6M plus incentives (Jimmy Sexton is his agent)...So Anderson will be rumored to be a serious candidate through findscum (Sexton MO),,,  but not really,,,  

Look for Barbee (UTEP arena - 11,767 salary $233.000, they have offered 300000 ) or a mid-major coach ... or Person (personal choice)

it will look like we are going after the second tier coach, because that is what the AL media will protrait the coaching search to look like.....  And maybe we are, but 9600 and $1.5M top end salary may limit our options....  

Just remember, we MUST learn the lessons of the past and do not overreact to another Chizik hire...  

Again IMHO....

Anderson strikes me as a Nolan Richardson clone, and that's exactly the way he acted towards Auburn six years ago.

I hope we don't wind up with him.

WOW! You might be by yourself with this opinion. You don't AU to get Anderson? Really?

Nothing personal against Anderson, but I think I would prefer Barbee or Mitchell or Lutz or Tubby or Alford. If those 5 turned it down Anderson would probably be my top choice.

Please explain your reasoning, because honestly, that statement blows me away. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you really favor these "up and comers" over Mike Anderson?

I feel every athletic department has financial constraints.  Let's not forget that we have 2 current buy outs (CTT and Lebo) to take care of along with regular current expenses.  I think it is easy for us fans to say things like "we need to step up and pay what ever it takes to get coach________(fill in the blank)."  You may be able to pay a lot less for a young up and coming coach rather than a high profile expensive coach.  Now, granted either one could succeed or fail but we will have to trust the AD to look at $$ vs potential  and hopefully reach a logical conclsion. 

I completely understand what your saying and for the most part, I agree with it. But I really find it hard to believe that JJ has financial constraints after he spent $92.5 million on a brand new arena! You've already spent that money on the arena and shown that you are committed to having a good bball program here at Auburn. Now you have to fork up the money to hire a good coach. It just doesn't make sense to hire one of these up and comers. Why would you spend all that money on an arena and then spend chump change (in their terms) on an  unproven coach? I just don't see it happening. I think JJ gets a good coach a pays whatever it takes to bring him here. I'm not saying we are going to get Anderson or Tubby Smith, but I really think JJ will make a good, hard push for them. I just don't see money being as big of an issue as some may think. You don't spend nearly $93 M on an awesome arena and you don't fire your HC unless you are going make a big-time splash with the next hire and add to the buzz and excitement of a new arena. I'm sorry, but I just don't see that happening.

Nice speech.....  Here is a little reality check... first... I believe in Auburn basketball and love it!!  I was in the coliseum when kentucky came in ranked #1 with turpin and bowie ...  two seven footers.... and saw barkley REJECT a turpin dunk...  And chuck person take care of business...

However, I am trying to be realistic  for the following reasons...

1.  Arena size -- My concern with the quality of a coach that Auburn can attract is the size (not quality) of our new arena....   9600 seats is no where equivalent to kentucky or tenn... Minnesota (14,625 ).....Missouri (15,061)

not sure where it compares to the remainder of the SEC???  IMHO this is indication of what our athletic department thinks the future of Auburn basketball will be for the forseable future....

2.  Salary -- our ability to get Chizik for his salary was (in hindsight) genius!!    However, it causes an unintended consequence.  We cannot pay our basketball coach more than football head coach...

Tubby -- $13 million in base, supplemental and camp money over the seven-year contract, and can earn additional money in incentives that boosted his annual salary to more than $3.3 million in 2007. , Anderson already makes more than 1.6M plus incentives (Jimmy Sexton is his agent)...So Anderson will be rumored to be a serious candidate through findscum (Sexton MO),,,  but not really,,,  

Look for Barbee (UTEP arena - 11,767 salary $233.000, they have offered 300000 ) or a mid-major coach ... or Person (personal choice)

it will look like we are going after the second tier coach, because that is what the AL media will protrait the coaching search to look like.....  And maybe we are, but 9600 and $1.5M top end salary may limit our options....  

Just remember, we MUST learn the lessons of the past and do not overreact to another Chizik hire...  

Again IMHO....

I find it hard for arena size to be a factor in whether or not you can get a good coach. Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke only seats a maximum capacity of 9314.  Auburn's new arena will seat 9,600.  I find it hard to believe that some coach would not take the job because our new arena only seats 9,600.  But then again if its the size of the arena that matters, why don't we just go get Coach K from Duke since we have a bigger arena

Alll  i know is we tried the "up and comer" with Lebo, mamouth fail.  If Auburn is serious about BB then we better damn well step  up to the plate this time.  If we try to get by on the cheap then we will be right back where we are in 5 yrs.  Of course maybe thats just what Auburn is to BB.

it really is a difficult decision to make, big name or up and comer.  I think that debate is distracting and not what this hire is really about.  We need to look for a coach that can WIN at AUBURN.  JJ needs to do his homework on the type of players we have had success with and the type of player we will be able to recruit.  Then look for a coach that can take those players (maybe bring in a few that we wouldn't otherwise get) and win ball games.  I think Mike Anderson and some other up and comers (Barbee) fit this profile.  They thrive with an up tempo style that uses athletes to win games.  We are not going to have a Kentucky, NC, or Duke style team with your prototype point guard, shooting guard, swingmen and big men. 

Find the right guy, give him the resources he needs and turn him loose, big name or up and comer I don't care.

I feel every athletic department has financial constraints.  Let's not forget that we have 2 current buy outs (CTT and Lebo) to take care of along with regular current expenses.  I think it is easy for us fans to say things like "we need to step up and pay what ever it takes to get coach________(fill in the blank)."  You may be able to pay a lot less for a young up and coming coach rather than a high profile expensive coach.  Now, granted either one could succeed or fail but we will have to trust the AD to look at $$ vs potential  and hopefully reach a logical conclsion. 

I completely understand what your saying and for the most part, I agree with it. But I really find it hard to believe that JJ has financial constraints after he spent $92.5 million on a brand new arena! You've already spent that money on the arena and shown that you are committed to having a good bball program here at Auburn. Now you have to fork up the money to hire a good coach. It just doesn't make sense to hire one of these up and comers. Why would you spend all that money on an arena and then spend chump change (in their terms) on an  unproven coach? I just don't see it happening. I think JJ gets a good coach a pays whatever it takes to bring him here. I'm not saying we are going to get Anderson or Tubby Smith, but I really think JJ will make a good, hard push for them. I just don't see money being as big of an issue as some may think. You don't spend nearly $93 M on an awesome arena and you don't fire your HC unless you are going make a big-time splash with the next hire and add to the buzz and excitement of a new arena. I'm sorry, but I just don't see that happening.

You sir are correct.

You guys may be right, but recent history tells the different story...

Is football more important than basketball at Auburn?  YES 

All I am saying is hire a fiery, up and coming coach with Chiziks character and hope JJ gets it right with the BB coach as well.  I understand Lebo fits this description, but i believe he will be successful somewhere else in the future... 

The other option is name the Arena "Under Armour" and pay whatever it takes for a BB coach.

"Now you have to fork up the money to hire a good coach. It just doesn't make sense to hire one of these up and comers. Why would you spend all that money on an arena and then spend chump change (in their terms) on an  unproven coach? I just don't see it happening. I think JJ gets a good coach a pays whatever it takes to bring him here."

Where was the hiring splash with Chizik?  Where was the "pay whatever it takes" for football?  Football was at a very difficult time and we gambled!!!  Should gamble at AU in basketball... And why pay all the money for 9600 seats.  Not very economical in my honest opinion....

"I find it hard for arena size to be a factor in whether or not you can get a good coach. Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke only seats a maximum capacity of 9314. "

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting!!!  Duke is private and Coach K is a legend there!!  Would Cousins choose to play in front of 9600 (once or twice a year) or 20000 almost every home game...

Did Duke Basketball Really Lose $2 Million? Published: Sunday, 14 Mar 2010 | 6:29 PM ET By: Darren Rovell

CNBC Sports Business Reporter

"But the school (Duke) also told the government that its basketball program had $13.87 million in expenses and only pulled in $11.84 million in revenue. That's good for a loss of more than $2 million. "

Have you been to a Duke football game lately?  Not pretty!!

Duke is a private school...  Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski, the highest-paid employee at Duke, ranked second among athletic officials at the nation's private schools at $2.2 million.  He makes much more than that on outside income...    In addition, Duke fills the 9314 every game...  even midnight madness...  We may not fill our new arena, except when Chizik accepts the Iron bowl trophy at the AU vs AL basketball game next year...

Again i love AU,,,  just trying to manage expectations so there is not another meltdown because we did not hire a "Spurrier splash" or the findscum pick  in basketball...

MY OPINION>>>

I would rather take athletic dept revenue saved and PAY THE EXTRA SPLASH MONEY TO THE FOOTBALL ASSISTANT COACHES....  They have earned it!!  Would not want to loose GM, TT, CL, etc... to make a splash in basketball...  We may get the same or better results from an up and comer... or first timer in Persons...  If we can make this gamble last year in football, we sure can in basketball. A top end salary 2M+ can not be reduced... a 750K salary can be increased...  and we do not have a very good track record with buyouts...  500k for lebo was ridiculous

Just my honest opinion...  Beat AL 6 out of 8 in basketball or beat Saban in 2010...  I know my pick!!

and.... :we:

MY OPINION>>>

I would rather take athletic dept revenue saved and PAY THE EXTRA SPLASH MONEY TO THE FOOTBALL ASSISTANT COACHES....  They have earned it!!  Would not want to loose GM, TT, CL, etc... to make a splash in basketball...  We may get the same or better results from an up and comer... or first timer in Persons...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^BS JMHO  :wareagle:

No hard feelings dude.

MY OPINION>>>

I would rather take athletic dept revenue saved and PAY THE EXTRA SPLASH MONEY TO THE FOOTBALL ASSISTANT COACHES....  They have earned it!!   Would not want to loose GM, TT, CL, etc... to make a splash in basketball...  We may get the same or better results from an up and comer... or first timer in Persons...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^BS JMHO  :wareagle:

No hard feelings dude.

Those assistant coaches all just got raises.  Why would we give them more?  I am sure with a great season, they will all get them again next year.  I say pay what it takes to get a Tubby or Anderson.  I don't worry that whoever it is will make more than Chizik.  If Chizik keeps up the great work he has started, he will be ahead of them in a year or two anyway.

It is simply time to fill in the huge whole in our athletic dept resume that is Auburn Basketball.  We need to step up and rejoin the SEC elite Athletic Dept.  Football is on the road back, swimming is well Au swimming.  Lets put BB on the same road.

Archived