Will the new bb coach earn more than Chizik?

If we are really serious at competing in basketball, it's very possible that the new coach could make more than CGC. This is possible because honestly it doesn't take a lot to get a coach out of Iowa State.

It would not bother me at all if the new BB coach makes more than the FB coach.  I think people are offered what they are perceived to be worth to acquire/keep.  I am certain if Chizik keeps up the winning ways, he will be paid accordingly.  If it takes a lot of money to get whoever JJ wants to be our next coach, so be it. 

:wedance:

If we are really serious at competing in basketball, it's very possible that the new coach could make more than CGC. This is possible because honestly it doesn't take a lot to get a coach out of Iowa State.

Never happen

Chizik makes about $2,100,000. I doubt very seriously we triple what Lebo was making to get a BBall coach.

Clearly, the BB coach will make what it takes to get the right guy. Whether it's more or less than Chizik's salary won't matter.

Clearly, the BB coach will make what it takes to get the right guy. Whether it's more or less than Chizik's salary won't matter.

Agreed but I doubt Auburn`s pockets are deep enough to go over Chizik`s salary. Just a thought. Lets just hope we do get the right guy.

Agreed but I doubt Auburn`s pockets are deep enough to go over Chizik`s salary. Just a thought. Lets just hope we do get the right guy.

The arena is coming in several millions under budget. The pockets should be deep enough.

The arena is coming in several millions under budget. The pockets should be deep enough.

True and I may be wrong but I think they have allocated that so called extra money somewhere else. Again I may be wrong about that. Do you or anyone else remember. That is a good point you made.

I would be surprised if we go over 1m yearly for a coach. Mainly because there just aren't many big name coaches we can go after that would require more than that amount.

The track record on Jay says that he's going to get the best coach for the most reasonable price. In my opinion, he can get that for under 1m yearly.

I think the only way to get a good enough coach is to go over the $1mil mark. Anything under and the current school can easily match and keep the coach. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you wanna be cheap, look forward to program staying as it is, a losing one. This league is too good not to pony up and pay a fair wage. Coaches Cal, Pearl, Donavon, Stallings and Stansbury will continue their stranglehold on the SEC if you don't get someone to match what their doing. If you don't wanna pay up, you may as well have kept Lebo.

I sure hope not.  I would have rather kept Lebo another year and split the income of another bball coaches salary up amongst the football coaches after a successful 2010 season.

I know we now owe Lebo his buyout. I think we have paid Tuberville in full at this point. Not sure about Franklin and the other football assistants from '08. Does anyone else know? I know it's part of the business but the buyouts kill you when it all happens at once like it has for AU. This expense has to be a factor when JJ makes his decision and offer. I wonder what we could/would pay for a basketball coach if we had a full bank account to work with.

Tubbs was done being paid before the start of last season if I remember correctly. Franklin salary, if still on the books, would've been offset by what he made as a coach last year and what he will make this year. I think we are clear of him as well. The school made money itself last year. The SEC has a mega TV deal with ESPN. The school also gets a share of the two BCS bowls our league teams were in last year. No league school is strapped for cash. They have the money. It's all about will they spend it on a coach. By the way, the contract of the new coach can be structured in a way where you don't have to pay a lot up front. It can be loaded on the back end of the contract. M. Anderson's deal is set up this way to take pressure off the school and as incentive for him to remain at the school. There is a downside to that kind of deal though in that there's usually no buyout.

It would not bother me at all if the new BB coach makes more than the FB coach.  I think people are offered what they are perceived to be worth to acquire/keep.  I am certain if Chizik keeps up the winning ways, he will be paid accordingly.  If it takes a lot of money to get whoever JJ wants to be our next coach, so be it. 

:wedance:

agreed... since Gene Chizik has seemingly made better Auburn fans out of us to this point... its clear that he wants to be here and its not just about the money.

Chizik does things the right way and hes certainly made believers out of the players... hes put together a great staff and hes only going to get better.

In fact, Chizik has this program heading in the right direction with a low salary... if we have to spend more on a bball coach then thats what it takes.

Its going to take more effort to rebuild the bball team than it will to recover from a couple of medicore football seasons.

OK I will settle this once and for all. I will coach AU BB this upcoming season. A BETTER name coach will be available after the 10 & 11 season. By that time Coach Chizik will be coming off a SEC Title and a BCS Bowl Game in which Auburn will boost him to 2.8 to 3 million a year. Then AU could go after a 2 mil dollar coach. I will only get paid $500,000 + all the Basketball shoes I can carry. Now, doesn't everybody feel better?

:beatmullet::zapbama::beatmullet::zapbama::beatmullet::zapbama::beatmullet: 

No!!!!  Simple economics....  With a brand new arena that only holds 9600, the basketball program can not sustain the 2.5-3.5M it would take to hire Tubby or Anderson....  I predict a cap of 1.0M for a young Mid major conference coach or Persons for abt 1.2M...

Remember Anderson's agent is jimmy sexton...  he is set to make over 2.0M  ..  He will be very interested in the Auburn job on Finklebaum...  until missouri offers him a raise...    Tubby signed a 13m base contract in 2007 for seven years 

Tubby and Anderson are only candidates to make us look bad in the press...

By comparison Barbee base is $233K  very affordable...

No!!!!  Simple economics....  With a brand new arena that only holds 9600, the basketball program can not sustain the 2.5-3.5M it would take to hire Tubby or Anderson....

I don't think you can look at it like this. There's TV money and plenty of SEC basketball money. A winning coach will have his salary expand from endorsements for everything from hot dogs to ski resorts.

If BB coach's salaries depended on seating capacity none of them would be making what they are currently getting paid.

au03 is correct

MY OPINION>>>

I would rather take athletic dept revenue saved and PAY THE EXTRA SPLASH MONEY TO THE FOOTBALL ASSISTANT COACHES....  They have earned it!!  Would not want to loose GM, TT, CL, etc... to make a splash in basketball...  We may get the same or better results from an up and comer... or first timer in Persons...  If we can make this gamble last year in football, we sure can in basketball. A top end salary 2M+ can not be reduced... a 750K salary can be increased based on success in BB...  and we do not have a very good track record with buyouts...  500k for lebo was ridiculous

Just my honest opinion...  Beat AL 6 out of 8 in basketball or beat Saban in 2010...  I know my pick!!

Look for Barbee of UTEP (salary $233.000, they have offered 300,000).  This is the right type of hire.  Anderson or Tubby is just another expensive buyout waiting to happen.

Duke fills a 9314 seat stadium EVERY GAME!  very successful program!

Did Duke Basketball Really Lose $2 Million? Published: Sunday, 14 Mar 2010 | 6:29 PM ET By: Darren Rovell

CNBC Sports Business Reporter

"But the school (Duke) also told the government that its basketball program had $13.87 million in expenses and only pulled in $11.84 million in revenue. That's good for a loss of more than $2 million. "

Archived