Auburn beats Samford 10-3

Dexter Price improved to 3-0 on the year by holding Samford to just two runs in 5 1/3 innings as Auburn ran its’ winning streak to six straight with a 10-3 win at Samford on Tuesday night. Justin Bryant (1-for-6, 2B) and Brian Fletcher (2-for-4, HR) each drove in three runs in the contest as Auburn improved to 15-5 on the season.

“You have to be ready to play midweek games and I thought the guys came ready,” Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. “Samford has a quality ball club and if we aren’t ready to play, it makes it a tough ball game. We did what we needed to do. We came up here and got a win.”

Price held Samford to eight hits, walking just one and striking out two.

“Maybe the best thing Dexter had going today was his fastball command. He put the ball on both sides of the plate and down in the zone and that’s a sign that he is going to be successful,” Pawlowski said.

Fletcher’s 35th career home run gave Auburn a two-run lead in the first, driving in Hunter Morris (1-for-4, 2 BB), who had walked, before Samford answered with a two-out RBI single by David Schulze in the bottom half, making it 2-1.

Fletcher’s third RBI of the game put Auburn back up by a pair as he singled in Creede Simpson (2-for-4, 2 BB, 2 R) with a two-out line drive to left center in the top of the third, making it 3-1.

A two-out triple by Justin Fradejas (3-for-5, 3B, 3 R, RBI), starting his second game of the season, helped Auburn push the lead to 4-1 in the top of the fourth with Ryan Jenkins (1-for-4, RBI) driving him in with a single back up the middle.

Samford (11-9) cut into Auburn’s lead on Brad Moss’ RBI groundout to score Tripp Swann from third, making it 4-2 after five.

Three straight singles to start the sixth by Tony Caldwell (2-for-5, R), Dan Gamache (2-for-5, 2 R) and Fradejas and a one-out double by Bryant made it a 7-2 game, knocking Samford starter Josh Martin (0-3) out of the game after the right-hander had allowed seven runs on 11 Auburn hits and a walk.

Simpson’s second and third stolen bases of the night led to another run as he drew a walk, stole second and third and then scored on a wild pitch in the top of the eighth to make it 8-2. Simpson’s three stolen bases tied the school record for steals in a game, last done by Bruce Edwards on March 23, 2007 against Florida.

Auburn padded its’ lead with two runs in the ninth when Bryant drove in a run on a fielder’s choice and a throwing error led to another run.

Bradley Hendrix earned his first save of the season by tossing the final 3 2/3 innings, allowing an unearned run on four hits and walk while striking out four. Hendrix entered for Price in the fifth with two on and one out and retired the first two hitters he faced to keep Auburn up five.

Auburn completes its five-game road trip on Wednesday night in Montgomery when it plays Alabama in the Capital City Classic at Riverwalk Stadium. First pitch for the non-conference game is 7pm CT but fans are encouraged to arrive by 6:30pm for the pregame festivities. Tickets from the originally scheduled game on March 9 are to be used again at the gates.

Slade Smith (1-0, 0.00 ERA) will get the starting nod for Auburn against Alabama.

I got my Samford post up first, but boy did I get killed on substance. 

But you get an A for effort, my friend.  HA!  WDE!!!

Thanks. Now let's hope for 7 in a row today!

I got my Samford post up first, but boy did I get killed on substance. 

But you get an A for effort, my friend.  HA!  WDE!!!

Thanks. Now let's hope for 7 in a row today!

You aren't kidding.  I love beating the turds at everything!  WDE!!!

Personally I wouldn't mind us moving Dexter to Sunday. He has been dominate. This year our pitchers don't have to be dominate just keep the other guys to 3 runs or less cuz we're gonna hit the ball and drive in runs. Imagine how good our lineup will be when Mummy gets back

Archived